Character not applying

JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Oooookay, I'm trying to apply a Genesis character to Genesis. It's not applying. It's an early Genesis character (not dependent on M5) and it's .dsa files, But I'm trying to apply it to Genesis 1 and I've applied .dsa files to Genesis before.

Anyone got any idea of what gives.

I'm not running the latest version of Studio, Just v.4.6.1.39

iMac running Snow Leopard, not that that is likely to matter.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Shape, Mat, or both? Which character is it?

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281
    edited December 1969

No problem with the mats. But the morphs won't apply. The first character I tried was Summer Edition Josh, neither body nor head morph applied. The I went and tried applying Summer Edition Noah, which is also an early Genesis character. *something* of the body morph applied, although I doubt that it was the full morph. And again, the head didn't apply at all.

I'm wondering whether since both of these were also shipped with the morphs and matts for M4, if we're supposed to dial in the legacy shape, before they'll work. But the requirements don't mention the legacy shapes. Just Genesis.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,429
    edited December 1969

Where exactly are the presets in your content directory (My DAZ 3D Library or whatever)? Did you install manually or with DIM?

edited December 1969

By presets do you mean the "apply character head/body morph" button? Or do these depend upon some other preset somewhere else?

The character files are installed in the DS4 Characters+Hair content library. I install manually and use multiple content libraries for different content categories. Then enter the libraries into the Content Manager twice, once for Studio and once for Poser content, since each library usually contains both. Admittedly, the DS4 libraries don't have much in the way of Poser content, since they are mostly all Genesis. But they're entered twice just in case.

I suspect the problem is the .dsa files. I remember there was something about converting them to .duf files back when DS4.5 came out, but don't remember where and I'm not going to go digging back for years in the threads to try to find it. Particularly when this site won't even let me sign in with my primary browser.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited December 1969

The .dsa presets work fine for me. Although I'm on 4.6.3.50, I doubt that is the issue since it's an older product. Check and see if the morph files are installed:

/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/Raiya/RyJoshBody/RyJoshBody.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/Raiya/RyJoshHead/RyJoshHead.dsf

ScreenShot003.jpg
    1106 x 883 - 56K
    edited December 1969

Bingo. The files don't appear to be there at all. Nor are the backup copies that I always archive from installed content. Nor do I have the files for Summer Edition Erin which came out around the same time. And when re-downloading, things became bit clearer, and yet more confusing. There are (evidently) zero-byte files in those packages and the automatic decompression software on my machine can't handle them. That being the case, I don't know how I ever got the stuff installed that did get installed in the first place. But the file withe the data file component I wouldn't have been able to get at until at least late last year when Jen pointed me at an unzipping utility that could (these were purchased in 2011). I have the M4 and V4 files archived. But not the Genesis ones.

Okay. Reinstallations are easy enough to do. And the mystery doesn't matter once it's solved.

Thanks all.