Newbie questions

First: What is the Carrara Render Node and how is it used?

Second: Where do Carrara files go?

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited June 2020

first question.  The render node is only for people with multple machines.  It allows people running the base program on one machine to access the processing power of a second machine to contribute to render calculations.  If you only have only one Carrara machine, do NOT install the render node.  If you have multiple machines and intend to create a render farm, install the render node on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., machines, but not the one you intend to set up scenes, model, etc with.

second question - I used Daz's DIM to install Carrara but many people install manually.  Add ons that are speific to Carrara go in the same folder structure as your Carrara program.  However, figures, props, etc that are compatible with Carrara can be placed in folders you want and then you can add the folder in the browser tray.  Probably not clear enough, but I believe there is a thread here in the forum that dives deeper into the specifics.

Here is one content folder thread but I think there is a more recent one.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20846/carrara-content-folder-set-up

Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited June 2020

and welcome

We are generally an OK bunch so ask questions when you get stuck.  You will find a useful information resource called << Carrara Information Manual >> by Dartanbeck in the stickies at the top of the forum.  

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

I am an example of Diomede's person who does not use DIM.  I buy mostly Poser format content (because there's a lot more than Carrara format content), put it in its own folder with added keywords, then link it through Carrara's browser: "Add Runtime" meaning Poser Runtime.  I search via Windows Explorer/Ctrl-F, preview via P3DO (available as Shareware and Freeware) (I use it mostly for great mocap previews).  

• ArhainArtArhainArt Posts: 55

Thanks for the help! Most appreciated!