Bee Hive?

Among the things I need currently, is a bee hive... as found in nature.  I have a bear that needs a bee hive to investigate.

I tried searching, but didn't see anything.  I might have to fandangle sumthing outta somethin... ideas?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

How realistic do you need it to be? You could throw something together pretty quickly with some torus primitives.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2020
    Gordig said:

How realistic do you need it to be? You could throw something together pretty quickly with some torus primitives.

But beehives are Square  

Post edited by Chohole on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,885
    Chohole said:
    Gordig said:

But beehives are Square  

The OP specified "as found in nature".

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

I found this image of a natural beehive in this article about them.

I think I would dig around in my runtime for some pebbles. Stretch the X and Y scales and squash the Z, then find a tiling image of a honeycomb to use in a shader. Several such objects stacked up would look good enough from a distance.

Happy fandangling!

• You could also use the bracket clusters in RDNA Fungi with chris-2599934's idea of a honeycomb texture/ shader.

• Steel RatSteel Rat Posts: 393
    edited June 2020

Maybe they were thinking of a hornet or wasp nest of some kind:

Post edited by Chohole on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

This kind of thing?  Gotta ask yourself: how badly does that bear need her honey?

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793
    edited June 2020

how badly does that bear need her honey

Well, I guess I could use a Toaster Oven hanging from a tree...   but it wouldn't have the same effect and pose more questions than it would answer ;)

You guys have given me some ideas, I'll probably just fan-dangle a hive like Chris posted above using a primative and some mesh-grabbing.  I don't need a close-up, Just something that is going to be about 30 feet from the Camera and looks bee-hivey enough to clue the viewer in.

Thanks! 

Post edited by Chumly on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I'm going to set me up a beehive or two next year. It will be exciting and not as extremely expensive as I always assumed. I don't know it I'll have the guts to raid it for honey though as I swell up like a balloon when stung.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I just watched this fascinating video

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I'm going to set me up a beehive or two next year. It will be exciting and not as extremely expensive as I always assumed. I don't know it I'll have the guts to raid it for honey though as I swell up like a balloon when stung.

Before you set up a beehive you first need to go to a beekeeping club and take training lessons as to how to maintain both the bees and the hive.   It is not as simple as just putting it there and leaving it.  

This looks to be quite a good article.   https://www.kelleybees.com/blog/kelley-beekeeping/thinking-keeping-bees-part-1-costs-time-intangibles/

• MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,683

Im in need of a Hornet's Nest myself.  Did anything come of this request?

Hornets-Hero-4_2X.jpg
    600 x 442 - 97K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

Beehive?

• cathan01_wwg1wgacathan01_wwg1wga Posts: 354
    edited October 2020

Trust HIVEWire3D to have just the right product, including a wasp nest: https://hivewire3d.com/nature-s-wonders-bee-swarms-nests.html

Post edited by cathan01_wwg1wga on