Addition to DAZ Studio Functionality: 2D Paint Layers

Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint both allow you to have 2D paint/draw layers to paint/draw over 3D layer(s). On those layers, you can paint with a paintbrush, erase, draw with a pencil, add text, add a fill/gradient layer, etc. For Clip Studio Paint, you can also format it into a comic, etc., so there are some layout features as well.

It would be totally awesome if DAZ Studio had the same capability. This could open up a lot of opportunities for product extensions as well to be sold in the DAZ Store: brushes, backgrounds, font styles, fill types, overlays, postwork actions, etc.

I can get a lot more detailed if anyone is interested.

BTW, I personally would pay extra if a vendor built something like this to sit on top of DAZ Studio.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

It would be cool, but PS and Clip Studio Paint are both primarily 2D art programs, and a 2D painting layer is a natural extension of their core functionality. DS is a very different program that really isn't tailored to that sort of creation. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, or even that it couldn't be done well, but it's not something I'd want Daz to prioritize over improving existing features or expanding what DS does well.

• Does Daz Studio still have the Photoshop 3D bridge? As a GIMP and Krita user, I've never installed it so I don't know how it works exactly. Does this feature allow for Studio models to be transfered to Photoshop 3D to allow for 3D painting, or does it just transfer renders?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

yeah, I can't see a need for this in DS myself. If they were to add a whole 2D section to DS, then I would hope they would also add a modeling section, like carrara has

• MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226

Even in the most simple form, something like this in DS would be beneficial... 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Even in the most simple form, something like this in DS would be beneficial... 

Daz is not modelling software.

• duckbombduckbomb Posts: 585

I don't think the suggestion was to do the modeling part, it was the draw-over part.

I think it's a cool idea.  I'm not sure if I'd use it or not, but since DAZ is already uniquely positioned as that 3D software for graphic illustrations (compared to movie or game production software), it would be a neat little feature do doubt some people could find creative uses for.

• MartirillaMartirilla Posts: 178

Yes, no-one's talking about modelling here, Sevrin - you've glanced at Max's picture and jumped to a misunderstood conclusion.

What would be nice to have is the ability to draw onto the textures/materials while they're still on the 3D model, and get instant visual feedback about "how it looks" in 3D. That would be useful, and is different than making a texture atlas and then trying to guest-imate in Photoshop how it will look when loaded back into a 3D model.

Ideally, there would be a small third-party trade in making 'comic-book makeover' texture-packs for popular figures. Or people who knew how to do this ('inking along seams' appear to be important, according to something mentioned in a Sixus1 podcast, and Sixus has worked with Brian Haberlin), and who you could hire per-character makeover for $50. 

• not quite the same.. but I often click on a surface in the diffuse color tab and hit browse .. that takes me to the folder with the texture.. in win7, you can then click on that texture say open in photoshop ..  select all, paste which gives you an top layer in ps and then I change that one and save with a new name ... which saves it next to the texture you opened and then choose that as the texture to use. 
    ---
    You could set transparency on the upper layer and look at the original to guide your painting. 

• TDBAGZTDBAGZ Posts: 165

Not the dream solution you are looking for.  However, you can add images to planes, adjust thier cutouts and oppacitys surfaces (billboarding), and should look into the surface image editor and Layered Image Editor (LIE) if you arent already familiar with it. 

More advanced, you could use a gel light setup to project an image and then use a light block or emitter as slider to hide/reveal the projection.

Saw a couple of uses of gif images as animated surfaces way back in the day but I dont know if thats still applicable with IRAY.

Todays tech might easier to renderout your sequences with greenscreen surfaces or just apply animated text as an overlay in/from your video editor. 

Just food for thought.  

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

do you mean like Blender's grease pencil? or overlaying your image editor with transparency?

• TBorNotTBorNot Posts: 369

Daz3D has a backdrop, no particular reason why a frontdrop can't be added, with support for image transparency.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    TBorNot said:

Daz3D has a backdrop, no particular reason why a frontdrop can't be added, with support for image transparency.

already exists, a plane parented to the camera, LIE supports png alphas