Looking for a mentor, compensation offered

edited December 1969 in The Commons

Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes.

I'm trying to learn how to create (from start to finish) a Poser/DAZ 3D compatible model. I don't think my modeling looks bad when static (although I may be missing information such as the model may not be optimized completely). I'm hoping that someone would be willing to work with me to learn the specifics of the process in detail. This will take some time so I'm willing to compensate you for your guidance. If you're interested, please reply here or PM me for more information.

DC

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

I dont have the time to help but it may be worth stating here what software you are using and versions such as texturing software, modeling software, UV mapping software, what version of DS and poser plus if you're looking to make clothes, sets, hair or other things. Be specific as it will help attract the right people.

• edited December 1969

Well I have Daz 4.6, Beyond that I can put my hands on a few things if need be. However all I am really looking help for is Daz. I would be learning workflow and technique to make a professional (or close to it) product. I want to learn clothing creation mainly and am having trouble as I am teaching myself as I go. I have been picking away at 3d for quite a few years but am finally taking seriously.

An example of the problems I am having is http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41749/

My model is done in the most basic way. It needs to be taken from the import phase and turned into a usable piece of clothing. most if not all the "bells and whistles" need to be added and how that is done and why.
    again I am aware that this is a lot to ask, but I just don't think I can move forward without some pretty heavy outside guidance.
    DC

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Well I have Daz 4.6, Beyond that I can put my hands on a few things if need be. However all I am really looking help for is Daz. I would be learning workflow and technique to make a professional (or close to it) product. I want to learn clothing creation mainly and am having trouble as I am teaching myself as I go. I have been picking away at 3d for quite a few years but am finally taking seriously.

An example of the problems I am having is http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41749/

My model is done in the most basic way. It needs to be taken from the import phase and turned into a usable piece of clothing. most if not all the "bells and whistles" need to be added and how that is done and why.
    again I am aware that this is a lot to ask, but I just don't think I can move forward without some pretty heavy outside guidance.
    DC

Somewhere in the Nuts 'n Bolts are a few tutorials for making clothing. [I started 'em]

atm I'm not working with the most up-to-date edition however if the basic work flow is the same, the clothing .obj is imported and lands already in place on the default load of basic Genesis [for example]. Run the transfer utility tool to make the clothing item.
    Then save the clothing item.
    Remove what's in the scene and load the newly created one, "fit to" Genesis and then morph Genesis to be a "lady" or whatever.
    When you get to the pose that has issues, select Genesis and send if over the Bridge to Hexagon [clothing should travel too], the in Hexagon freeze Genesis, select the clothing and fix the trouble ... using morphing techniques 'only'. Then hide/delete Genesis ... skip a second back over to D/S and select the clothing ... skip back over to Hexagon and send the clothing over the bridge to D/S.
    In D/S, make the morph. [advanced settings for the bridge]
    "reverse deformations", etc ...
    Check the morph, if it's working correctly, dial it back to "0" and "save it" as a morph asset.

Basic start ... no charge ;-)

• edited June 2014

I appreciate it, however I am approximately past that level. My model is loaded works, I have set up surfaces just today. The model looks good conforms over all well, its jsut not done, and only in the grossest sense is what I want. what I really need is someone who can answer specific questions, look at my work and suggest alternatives.

I intend to put up some questions soon, maybe that will give some people an idea of what I need.
    I do appreciate the help I just need to move beyond those steps now.

DC

The request of help still stands jsut so all know.

Post edited by darkechibi_04af5cd505 on
    edited June 2014

I appreciate it, however I am approximately past that level. My model is loaded works, I have set up surfaces just today. The model looks good conforms over all well, its jsut not done, and only in the grossest sense is what I want. what I really need is someone who can answer specific questions, look at my work and suggest alternatives.

I intend to put up some questions soon, maybe that will give some people an idea of what I need.
    I do appreciate the help I just need to move beyond those steps now.

DC

The request of help still stands jsut so all know.

Yes some specific questions and images would certainly help net more answers. [keeping in line with TOS of course]
    I'm curious, what is it you're trying to make? [if it's supposed to be secret, the PM system here works]

edit to add ... I didn't catch you had started both threads ... check the other for one detailed answer.

Myself, I'd go with morphs. Lot less confusing.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Couple of questions.

What type of model? Clothing? Stand-alone figure?

If it is clothing, for what base figure is the starting point?

How much do you or do you not know about rigging?

You state DS/Poser compatability. Which version of DS and which version of Poser do you want it compatible with?

Do you know the differences between DS surfaces and Poser's materials?

• edited June 2014

Re: icprncss & Patience55

It's clothing, a tight dress to be specific, and I'm not sure whether it's suitable for the boards.

RE: icprncss:

The base figure is Genesis 1.
    I've done some rigging in Poser and used the transfer utility in DAZ and made minor modifications to bones for an extreme Genesis 1 morph. I understand the theory, but not the specifics.
    I only stated DS/Poser compatibility in general. I mainly want DAZ 4.6 compatibility. I do have Poser and if it could be compatible that's great, but if not that's not a big deal.
    I have worked with Poser more. DAZ Studio's surfaces are very new to me and do not work the way I expect them to. I am learning and just last night was able to learn a bit more about how to apply them and set them on my figure. I see that there are difference but the specifics are again unknown.

As you see, I have huge gaps in my knowledge which is why I was looking for a mentor.

Thanks for everything; I appreciate your continued help.
    DC

I have also added to my other post with a bit more clarification.

Post edited by darkechibi_04af5cd505 on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

How each app (DS and Poser) handle materials are tied to the app's render engine. Because they use different renderers, they handle such things as bump, spec, and others differently.

It is why models created for use in both Poser and DS have different material presets.

DS uses DAZ Triax weight mapping which is proprietary to DAZ. Poser uses the more generic vertex weight mapping more common to apps like Maya. DAZ created the DSON importer for Poser in an effort to aid Poser users who wish to use DS4/Genesis content in Poser. Poser users have met with varying success with it. DS can create Poser Companion Files that will allow those who do use the DSON importer to use your dress.

As for materials, you will have to learn the differences between how the two apps handle the various nodes.

edited December 1969

Re: icprncss & Patience55

It's clothing, a tight dress to be specific, and I'm not sure whether it's suitable for the boards.

RE: icprncss:

The base figure is Genesis 1.
    I've done some rigging in Poser and used the transfer utility in DAZ and made minor modifications to bones for an extreme Genesis 1 morph. I understand the theory, but not the specifics.
    I only stated DS/Poser compatibility in general. I mainly want DAZ 4.6 compatibility. I do have Poser and if it could be compatible that's great, but if not that's not a big deal.
    I have worked with Poser more. DAZ Studio's surfaces are very new to me and do not work the way I expect them to. I am learning and just last night was able to learn a bit more about how to apply them and set them on my figure. I see that there are difference but the specifics are again unknown.

As you see, I have huge gaps in my knowledge which is why I was looking for a mentor.

Thanks for everything; I appreciate your continued help.
    DC

I have also added to my other post with a bit more clarification.

Whoa. Start that over.
    Load Genesis basic, import the plain .obj dress file [which must be imported to land on Genesis - and has been modeled to fit Genesis basic]. Then run the transfer utility. Then save the clothing file.

We do not rig anything in Poser first and then run transfer utilities in D/S [at least I don't].

• edited December 1969

sorry that did not come out right. I am not really using poser at this time. I have only used daz/transfer utility for the rigging. I really should not have mentioned poser at all I suppose.
    DC

edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/sickle-rigging-and-morphing-system

http://www.daz3d.com/sickle-dress-rig-genesis-2-female

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-female-clone-for-genesis

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-male-clone-for-genesis

http://www.daz3d.com/sickle-tunic-rig-genesis-2-male

I don't have all these [yet] but do have the first two. Highly recommended for getting some templates/rigs set up nicely. Her work also includes manuals for the workflow. The first one is for Genesis.

When the rigging isn't helping, by renaming the bone it will no longer "fit to" the figure and one can change it into a "handle".