Rigging and Morphing Help

Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,549
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Jan19 made a dress for Dawn and has given permission for others to make it fit V4, G1 & G2. I have hexagon and Daz 4.6 so I know I can take it into Hex and make the fit, but how to I make sure it has the rig and morphs for the models? The one she made is for Poser so not too sure it's rigging can be used and might have to make a new set (which I have no clue how to do). Any help would be great and I like simple explanations with pictures as I can sometimes be a bit slow to catch on, but once I do I have it always on my mind.

Comments

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I would be interested in the answer to this as well. To be able to transfer morphs would be great.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited May 2014

Nope. You'd have to edit the base mesh in a modeler and rig it from scratch (or from a template).

There are Dawn items for DS, but that includes almost no clothes; and even if it did, HiveWire has withheld permission for me to make a Dawn clone for G2F. There is not and likely will not be any automated transfer of clothes from her to any DAZ figure. They don't want people buying her clothes to use on anything else, they want them used only on Dawn.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • Arcane Von OblivionArcane Von Oblivion Posts: 149
    edited May 2014

The only way you could do it is do it yourself. Which I might add is possible for any clothes made for any figure. I've used clothes made for Video game characters fit Genesis. Its a long drawn out process But studio is really open end (as long as you not selling or giving out the end result you can do anything) But like I said you have to do it yourself, its not really legal for anyone to do it for you. Poser has a similar thing going on in its program where you can do the same for its characters. All I can say is if you read tutorials enough then you will get there.

Curious...what dress was it? I could buy it and give an example showing it fitting? But only an example.

Post edited by Arcane Von Oblivion on
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,549
    edited December 1969

I'm not asking for someone to do it for me, I am asking how to use the tools in Daz to get it done myself. I need to learn this since I also have several projects that are almost finished in Hexagon and need to know how to rig and add morphs to them. As for tutorials, seen lots of video's for various reasons and many are blurry and have messed up sound, on the Daz wiki tutorials none of the images show up, can't access the old site anymore since those images (with some improvisation) could be viewed.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

You could always create a Dawn clone for Genesis to use with autofit.. There is a tutorial to create a V4 clone, which I used to create a gensis basic female clone to allow me to use genesis clothing on Dawn. The process should be the same for creating any clone for any figure: http://3doutlaw.com/home/?page_id=631.
    blondie999 has some rigging tutorials. in the store.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    edited December 1969

http://www.evilinnocence.com/shop/dawn-crossdresser-license.html not tried it, held of buying XD4 stuff yet, I do use 3 but presumably since supported you can with a V4 license go to Genesis, then G2F

edited May 2014

I'm I've been doing this for quite sometime, I didn't mean to come off in a wrong way. When I'm talking to people on here I never know what level of learning they are in any aspect of Daz or Poser. I wouldn't really know what direction to point you in, I learned most of what I know here and on youtube. But I've also been using poser for a really long time before I used Daz. I can say this Auto fit only goes so far, This (I think) is the dress you are talking about. I made it to first fit V4, then using Daz then I used the transfer utility to make it fit Genesis. (which pretty much is a form of auto fit. I then Edited the Genesis Version of it and got rid of flaws and updated that mesh from it making so the base mesh of the dress, then I reloaded the V4 morph so that it would autofit V4 again. I do that last step so I have an original on Actual V4 clothes.

Now with the Abominable morph I used here I didn't "make my own" morph for the dress. I just had Daz do the work (autofit). I believe auto fit is a good start when making your morphs but only a start. things like the breasts, belly button, etc. sometime get messed up with it.

all what I read about I do myself also (including making a clone another base (making my own michelle clone for genesis. Note I did not do that here because its not too far off of V4...lol)

oh I almost forgot......The transfer utility is the key for transferring Genesis bones to the dress (and morphs if you like)

Monkey_Man_Dress.jpg
    960 x 540 - 136K
  • edited December 1969

Jan19 made a dress for Dawn and has given permission for others to make it fit V4, G1 & G2. I have hexagon and Daz 4.6 so I know I can take it into Hex and make the fit, but how to I make sure it has the rig and morphs for the models? The one she made is for Poser so not too sure it's rigging can be used and might have to make a new set (which I have no clue how to do). Any help would be great and I like simple explanations with pictures as I can sometimes be a bit slow to catch on, but once I do I have it always on my mind.

If I understand you correctly, you want to convert a dress made for Dawn and Poser so that it can be use with DAZ's figures (V4, G1, and G2) inside DAZ Studio? If this is so then what you are asking is to learn to use the Content Creation Tools within DAZ Studio Pro, and there really isn't a simple and quick answer to this question, which would addresses all the possible challenges you might encounter. What you want to do is learn grouping, rigging, weight mapping, how to use the transfer utility, etc., all within DAZ Studio. .It may seem daunting, but it is entirely doable if you are willing to put in the time and effort. The biggest challenge I've found is in finding all the appropriate learning material since there isn't a one-stop source/manual out there that covers everything. Otherwise you can try a utility such as the one suggested above, but it would still be good to know how to create content so that you can edit anything the utility was unable to translate perfectly.

Best thing I can suggest is to follow some tutorials and start experimenting so that you get a better idea of what you need to do to achieve your goal..

Would you like some suggestions regarding free and purchasable tutorials?

Once you are more familiar with the content creation processes you can ask more specific questions, which will be easier for people to answer. Much easier to answer hopefully, then the broad question you have posed herein. *wink*

edited December 1969

Didn't mean to appear like I was snapping, I was only clarifying what I wanted to know. That's the downside of text, you don't know a persons thoughts and feelings as they type.

Two things...

Arcane, I have learned most of what I know by watching video's, asking questions here and belonging to a group that is very good at helping people...also some I learned on my own through happy mistakes...lol I do read tutorials but find it hard on the eyes and usually prefer imagery which is lacking from most readable tuts.

This is the dress in question and she uploaded a Daz version today...
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/76223/browse/11/Poser/Patchwork-Dress-Poser-Version

You said the Transfer Utility will put the Genesis rig on the dress? If so that is what I needed to know as far as rigging goes, now I just need to figure out where to find a tut with images or a video that shows how to do that. Then the auto fit will take care of the morphs part?

Then you said you edited the genesis version of it to get rid of flaws...how will I know if there are flaws, unless they are obvious.

7th Stone you are right, I don't know how to use the Content Creation Tools. I have been watching video' s and did a bit of reading, but what I am finding is not enough. the video's are done as if you have some forehand knowledge in the creation process and leaves things out or mentions things I have no idea what they are talking about. The other downside of video's unfortunately is that most people go to fast or mention things without showing you what they are talking about or they sound like they are mumbling. Also some are blurry.

As for buying anything that could help me, not possible at the moment. I currently live in British Columbia Canada and in two months I am moving to the other side of the country, so need to save what I can for the move and getting set up there. I wish I could buy the Sickleyield Dress Rig package and the Rigging and Morphing System, as I am sure they would be of great help, not only with this dress but also to learn from.

Suggestions of free tutorials would be great, though must repeat the needing visuals part, it's how I can understand what is being said or read.

edited December 1969

I tried it with XD4 finally bought V4 license
    I used Sickleyields Keeping Bones tutorial for transfer utility to Genesis
    it worked
    I crashed studio saving as support asset unfortunately for some reason, may try again later
    Studio has crashed a few times today some issue I have

edited December 1969

second time got weird error loading in scene
    may be my set up not the dress or XD conversion
    the result was not so good either but pokethrough fixable with XD morphs
    has all the skirt bones

Untitled.2_.jpg
    1895 x 1071 - 484K
    Untitled.jpg
    406 x 418 - 60K
    edited December 1969

I know how to use the Content Creation Toolkit, but what I would be interested in, is, if it was possible to transfer morphs that are in the original dress for Dawn to the Genesis, G2 dress.

edited May 2014

Well I've managed to get it to fit G2F, sort of. I had to make it longer and adjust the bodice, but I haven't managed to get the bones or morphs transferred.

Patchwork_Dress_fitted_to_G2F.jpg
    600 x 776 - 424K
    Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited May 2014

This is the dress in question and she uploaded a Daz version today...
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/76223/browse/11/Poser/Patchwork-Dress-Poser-Version

You said the Transfer Utility will put the Genesis rig on the dress? If so that is what I needed to know as far as rigging goes, now I just need to figure out where to find a tut with images or a video that shows how to do that. Then the auto fit will take care of the morphs part?

Then you said you edited the genesis version of it to get rid of flaws...how will I know if there are flaws, unless they are obvious.

Ahh shoot wrong dress...lol. Well its possible with that one as well but, to answer questions. Yes I use the Transfer utility for the rig setup.

If you export once doing all that to OBJ inside (Hexagon?). you will usually see flaws in the mesh after(kinda like the ones on my post of the character above). (it can be corrected but not in the hour I took on doing it). You need to paint wieghtmaps , do bend morphs, and smoothing modifiers . Its like said about by others. There is no one answer

edited May 2014

wilmap said:
    Well I've managed to get it to fit G2F, sort of. I had to make it longer and adjust the bodice, but I haven't managed to get the bones or morphs transferred.

Nice...by bones you mean? extra bones in the dress?...or bones from G2F? Bones "of" the dress I usually bypass myself, sorry. I bypass them because I usually make the bottom parts of dresses Dynamic (in Poser). ;)

The morphs can be transferred back into the dress from the original dress (if you keep the point order exactly the same and you have the original dawn shape as a morph on the dress, simply load the morph with the dawn morph (original shape of the dress) applied, then select that you want to reverse ......something in there (I can't remember with out looking sorry I have to go to work now).......

edited December 1969

I used the transfer Utility to add the skeleton of G2F and I used the Sickleyield template which adds extra ghost bones.

I now am experimenting with adding morphs.

edited December 1969

What Sickleyield template are you talking about? I was looking at 3 products on the off chance I won any of the current contests around I entered this month.

There is this one...
    http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-basic-clothing-rig-kit
    This one does not mention a tutorial on how to use it.

And then there are these two...
    http://www.daz3d.com/sickle-dress-rig-genesis-2-female
    http://www.daz3d.com/sickle-rigging-and-morphing-system
    Both of these come with tutorials.

So the question is if any of these would be a good idea for me till I can figure out how to use the tools without help.

I get the part about using the Transfer Utility to transfer G1 or G2 rigs to clothes and in this case the interested dress, though I do believe more bones would need to be added. I do not know how to use the TU to do this or how to add more bones, as I believe to get a really good movement system, more bones would be needed for this dress.

I get that the autofit option can take care of morphs, though not sure if I need to do anything to add to this. I guess where this is concerned my brain is stuck on how morphs were added for Gen4 before autofit came into play, and I never learned how to do that either.

edited December 1969

I have all three of those mentioned. The one I used on the dress is the one for G2F. It adds extra ghost bones to the skirt. The tutorial is very good. I recommend it.

I have managed to add two twist morphs to the skirt. Not perfect but it's a start.

I have Jan's pemission to upload this to ShareCG, so once it is packed up I will do that. I will also add 3 textures for it.

edited December 1969

Thank you wilmap, it's greatly appreciated and will keep in mind your suggestion. For G1 would you suggest the other Sickleyield package?

edited December 1969

Yes I would. That will also add all the morphs for the different Genesis figures - both male & female.

edited December 1969

Thanks wilmap.

• edited December 1969

Nice work wilmap! Today's hero award goes to... ;-)

edited December 1969
    Jan19s_Patchwork_Dress_for_G2F.jpg
    600 x 600 - 299K
    edited December 1969

Nice,Must be nice to have all that time on your hands. I too recommend Sickles products. I tend to be a more custom fit kind of person But once you know how his(her?) stuff works you can expand on it and make your own "Dawn" morph for his templates....as a matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised he might do that (It would be more legal then making a clone for the Genesis figures). After all the templates are made as clothes.

edited December 1969

Thanks Wilmap and already posted on the freebie thread. And yes Arcane I plan to use the Sickleyield products, but will have to wait till I can afford them. I tried to see if he also had them at rendo since they also have a bunch of sales going on but these particular items are not there. I have also asked Wilmap on the freebie thread about a tutorial on the process used to convert this to G2 so I have more then one guide on how to use these tools.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,930
    edited December 1969

Nice,Must be nice to have all that time on your hands. I too recommend Sickles products. I tend to be a more custom fit kind of person But once you know how his(her?) stuff works you can expand on it and make your own "Dawn" morph for his templates....as a matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised he might do that (It would be more legal then making a clone for the Genesis figures). After all the templates are made as clothes.

Her. IIRC, Sickleyield and Fuseling are sisters.