Daz Dragon III and Carrara 8.5

StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Has anyone purchased the dragon III yet?

and does it work in Carrara 8.5?

thanks

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Has anyone purchased the dragon III yet?

and does it work in Carrara 8.5?

thanks

the HD will not work

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

The dragon itself works in Carrara. The morphs also.

But..... There are something strange with the posing of the rear legs. They works fine in Studio, but in Carrara it seems that there is some difference in the constraints. Not sure yet what it is, haven't had time to investigate it fully yet.

The geo crafting, that is used for the wingless variant, doesn't work either.

There are some morphs that are labelled HD, and they are changing the mesh.

And there are plenty of errors when trying to apply some of the presets....

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited May 2014

A set of Carrara shaders for the Dragon will be release very soon.

Regarding the posing try using it with out the constraints.

The attached is a promo image of the Carrara shaders for the dragon. It does come with SSS as you can see in the wings.

DAZDragon3HTranslucencypromo.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 315K
    Post edited by ringo monfort on
    edited December 1969

Sorry RingoMonfort, It doesn't help.
    There is something weird going on that I have never seen before....
    I did post something about it here : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/612739/

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I followed the link but still cannot understand what issues you're having. You say you get an error message from materials, then in the next sentence say that all materials work fine. (?)
    There's a beginning of an explanation of joint rotation issues, but the issue doesn't seem to be mentioned, unless my head is just still too sleepy :ahhh:

Either way, I am really antsy to get this thing. Looking at that Pro bundle with my PC discount... yeah... that's what I want!!! Rosie.... Can I???? :-P

edited December 1969

Varsel, is the problem in the IK? Like, when you translate one foot up (example) the other foot moves somewhere too? Or does the strange occurrence also happen when simply rotating the joints individually?

edited December 1969

Sorry. Not my native language.
    I will try to explain a bit better....

The problem with the legs is that when applying a pose, the rear legs have a different angle in Studio than in Carrara, even if the XYZ rotation values are the same in both programs.
    This is for all the bones in the legs.
    The values are all within the constraints set for these bones.
    You can see in the picture that the foot is pointing more to the side in Carrara than in Studio.

And it's happening with all the poses, where the rear legs is supposed to support the body, when standing or attacking or ......
    It's almost as if the rigging is different in Studio than in Carrara.

My trials where all done with rotation of the joints.
    I'm not sure how the IK of the dragon is supposed to be, because when you translate any bodypart, everything else is moving as well.

In the Pro bundle, there are some armour for the Dragon. They are all ok.
    The problem with the texture is for this http://www.daz3d.com/daz-dragon-3-textures
    The skin for the dragon. Not a big thing. Shaders does always need tweaking in Carrara anyway.

edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Sorry. Not my native language.
    I will try to explain a bit better....

The problem with the legs is that when applying a pose, the rear legs have a different angle in Studio than in Carrara, even if the XYZ rotation values are the same in both programs.
    This is for all the bones in the legs.
    The values are all within the constraints set for these bones.
    You can see in the picture that the foot is pointing more to the side in Carrara than in Studio.

And it's happening with all the poses, where the rear legs is supposed to support the body, when standing or attacking or ......
    It's almost as if the rigging is different in Studio than in Carrara.

My trials where all done with rotation of the joints.
    I'm not sure how the IK of the dragon is supposed to be, because when you translate any bodypart, everything else is moving as well.

In the Pro bundle, there are some armour for the Dragon. They are all ok.
    The problem with the texture is for this http://www.daz3d.com/daz-dragon-3-textures
    The skin for the dragon. Not a big thing. Shaders does always need tweaking in Carrara anyway.

did you try loading a DUF file from DS ?

edited December 1969

bigh said:

did you try loading a DUF file from DS ?

I did try pose it in Studio, and then save it as a scene.
    Imported this scene into Carrara.
    Opened it in Carrara

Same problem with the leg.
    In Studio it looks ok. But in Carrara the rear legs are pointing outward to the side....

edited December 1969

x,y, and z in DS are different in DS than in Carrara. Actually, I think it's more the other way around. Carrara is an oddity having z as the vertical axis.

edited December 1969

x,y, and z in DS are different in DS than in Carrara. Actually, I think it's more the other way around. Carrara is an oddity having z as the vertical axis.

Yes, you are right, but I think Carrara knows it's the odd boy on the block, so it is taking that into account, and translate xyz into it's own xys.....

Untitled-4.jpg
    800 x 524 - 198K
    Untitled-3.jpg
    769 x 541 - 299K
    Untitled-2.jpg
    1090 x 800 - 255K
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:

Yes, you are right, but I think Carrara knows it's the odd boy on the block, so it is taking that into account, and translate xyz into it's own xys.....

It does. I just mentioned that in case you were doing the rotations by hand or something.
    So you mention it's strange, but is it workable to get poses with some effort? Seeing your examples, I really like this thing! It looks like it comes with a great number of cool shaping morphs!

Ringo man,
    That shaders example looks fantastic! I like the subtle translucency in the wings. Would you be willing to do some more promo shots? :)

edited December 1969

Varsel said:

It does. I just mentioned that in case you were doing the rotations by hand or something.
    So you mention it's strange, but is it workable to get poses with some effort? Seeing your examples, I really like this thing! It looks like it comes with a great number of cool shaping morphs!

Ringo man,
    That shaders example looks fantastic! I like the subtle translucency in the wings. Would you be willing to do some more promo shots? :)

Thank you Dartanbeck, I do have a few more promo shots that I will be uploading.

popup_1.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 526K
    edited December 1969

Awwww...
    Him is takin' a nap! :)
    Nice Shaders as always Bro! Very cool!

edited December 1969

Awwww...
    DAZDragon3HDRI2.jpg
    1400 x 921 - 79K
    edited December 1969

Awesome! That's what I'm talkin' about! Ringo... you the man!!!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Awwww...

Have you had the translation issues that the OP mentions Ringo?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the replies..

I think I will hold back for a while on this one... maybe when C9 is out it may work better :vampire:

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Thanks for the replies..

I think I will hold back for a while on this one... maybe when C9 is out it may work better :vampire:

by then we will have daz dragon 12......zzzz , actually I liked the old daz dragon the time I used it.

edited December 1969

oh just saw Ringo's renders - fantastic work.!

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Stezza said:
    Thanks for the replies..

by then we will have daz dragon 12......zzzz , actually I liked the old daz dragon the time I used it.

Mdragon 12 ... lol

probably right with that comment :-(

yep.. another reason to hold off.. the amount of times I use a dragon doesn't justify the expense..

edited December 1969

It's only 61 dollars for the pro bundle!
    That's a massive saving of 51 percent of the already incredibly low price.
    How can you resist.....

You know, I have this theory that when people buy eg virtual mesh washing machines or a block of mesh flats, or a mesh ball room or swimming pool etc, something deep inside them tells them they are buying the real thing - courtesy of the visual sense in 3d being our dominant sense. Perhaps that's why Daz sells so many ladies shoes and weapons?

edited December 1969

well he is easy to pose

001_Dragon_3.jpg
    940 x 705 - 161K
    edited December 1969

he/she/it is kinda cute ;-)

edited December 1969

Here is one more.

popup_5.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 543K
  • d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I'm having problem with the zilla character. It loads, but the wings are present and it's missing the torso where the wings would attach. It opens fine in Daz Studio.

By unchecking visible to the Dragon Wingless made the wings not shown, but the torso is still missing the body part.

Any ideas?

Untitled-4.jpg
    677 x 543 - 105K
    Untitled_3.jpg
    377 x 401 - 60K
    Untitled-2.jpg
    1061 x 627 - 136K
    Untitled-1.jpg
    771 x 476 - 66K
  • d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Update,

from Daz Studio I saved the Zilla as a character and then loaded that character into Carrara and got somewhat better results.

The wings are visible and attached when I did this, I used the alpha on the shader to hide the wings, it leaves smaller holes, but if I place the camera at a certain angle it shouldn't be noticable.

Untitled-1.jpg
    906 x 628 - 89K
    Untitled-2.jpg
    897 x 628 - 53K