Can I use my DAZ stuff on more than one computer?

ToyenToyen Posts: 1,879
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hey everyone I just joined recently. I have not downloaded and installed the DAZ Studio and the content of my Product Library yet because I wanted to install all the stuff on the new computer. However I just found out that I will have to wait a while till I get the new computer and I´d really like to install all the stuff as soon as I can so my question is, can I download all the stuff from my product library to this computer and then when I get a new one, can I download and install it all over again? Or does it disappear after I download and install it for the first time?

Sorry if it´s a stupid question but I´d rather ask : )

Anyways, have a great day!

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Yes you can.

charlimit

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,879
    edited December 1969

Oh great! Thank you! : )

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

You might not have to reinstall on the new machine. I just copied the entire folder over to the new machine and told DS where to find the files. If you're using DIM, and the new location path is different than the old one, you might have to let it download and install all over again, but I am not sure on that point.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,879
    edited December 1969

I don´t mind downloading it again, I was just afraid that some of the products might be for one use only and then they would disappear from the product library after I installed it on this old computer.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

There used to be download limits that you had to have reset sometimes, but the new Product Library seems to have done away with that. If you have a networked drive at home, content can actually be accessed from multiple computers within the same building. Sometimes, you just gotta read the fine print...

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited December 1969

Everything you buy from the DAZ3D store will remain in your account history for as long as the store lasts. you can download as many times as you want.
    I am going to suggest you get an external hard drive and install your content to that. You can plug the external in to any computer you are using and just make sure you tell DS to find the runtime on the portable drive. Plus, it will keep your computer's hard drive from getting over flowed with content, which can happen very quickly.
    cheers!

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited December 1969

I have taken to downloading my content to a NAS (Network-Accessible Storage) device, then copying it to a 'staging' directory on my computers (I have two that I use for my 3-D work), and install from there into the content directories on each machine. Since I use DIM to install DAZ Studio content, I just check the 'Delete after installing' option, so the DIM even cleans up after itself! Then I move the newly-installed content to another volume on the NAS, that serves as a content archive. I do it this way for two reasons: first, I am almost pathologically paranoid about the possibility of a disk crash (I once tripped over the signal cable coming out of an external disk drive, and dragged it off my desk onto the floor; sadly, it was the drive that held all of my downloaded content ZIP files and installers); and secondly, it's easier to keep the two machines' content in sync this way.

I've lately been kicking around the idea of installing everything to that network drive, and using the Briefcase feature of Windows to keep my content in sync across machines. Since I use both DAZ Studio and Poser, I have multiple content directories -- nine, total, at last count. (It used to be worse; at one point, I was juggling no fewer than seventeen!). I also have a crap-load of content -- just a skosh under 200 GB, so there's a lot to maintain and keep safe.

So, the short answer to your question is, yes; you can download DAZ content multiple times, install it wherever you please, and then make that content accessible to a pretty much arbitrary number of individual instances of your 3-D applications. How you choose to do that is where the really feisty arguments start!