Trying to remember a vendor of beautiful Bryce materials . ..

crocodiliancrocodilian Posts: 82
edited June 2020 in Bryce Discussion

. . . maybe it was called "the watchful eye" or something like that?

Very sophisticated use of the DTE to make wonderful materials, would love to find them again.

Can anyone recall anything like that? Had a website, posted on Rosity, occasionally . . .

Found an image that I did with his materials back  in 2004, this was a Voronoi noise driven glass -- was kinda neat for the time

[edit] remembered the name -- Bruce Macleod, the site was watchfuleye dot com, now defunct.  Beautiful work . . . now have to figure out if his textures survive on a disk somewhere.

BryceGlass2004.jpg
1500 x 1474 - 212K
Post edited by crocodilian on

Comments

• phartmanphartman Posts: 0

How about David Brinnen? He has pro materials that I bought on Daz.

• crocodiliancrocodilian Posts: 82
    edited July 2020
    phartman said:

What was special about Macleod's textures was that they were entirely procedural. Most people, including Brinnen, do theirs with texture maps. The beauty of procedurals is that they interacted in fascinating ways when you blended two textures using metababalls-- that doesn't work well for texture maps.

Macleod understood the Deep Texture Editor and used it not just to create textures, but optically fascinating shaders. The blend of ambient and diffuse textures, for example, was something subtle that I haven't seen anyone do in other shading laguages.

Post edited by crocodilian on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    phartman said:

Most people, including Brinnen, do theirs with texture maps.

I could be mistaken, but I think David Brinnen's textures are all procedural, at least the ones I have seen (and used and modified) of his are.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Hansmar said:
    phartman said:

I could be mistaken, but I think David Brinnen's textures are all procedural, at least the ones I have seen (and used and modified) of his are.

I agree with you there.   although David does do some using texture map the majority of his materials are procedural   David Brinnen is the acknowledged King of the DTE

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    Chohole said:
    Hansmar said:
    phartman said:

I agree with you there.   although David does do some using texture map the majority of his materials are procedural   David Brinnen is the acknowledged King of the DTE

I confirm! David Brinnen has 1 bitmap texture out of 100 procedural ones.