Windows 8 ?

homey_jayhomey_jay Posts: 44
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I just wanted to find out if C8.5 is compatible with Win8 64bit. There doesn't seem to be a system requirements section anywhere on the site...
Is anyone running using this combination?

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI homey_jay

I've not upgraded to Win 8 since I realised it's all about touch screen and oversimplification, and I've only read posts from people who were having issues, but then,. i guess we only complain when things don't work :) ..so perhaps not a good way to judge it as a complete OS

I'm on Win7 pro 64bit, and all versions of Carrara,.. (from C6 to C8.5) run fine on it.
    Win 7 works well for me, and,... if it Ain't broke,.. don't fix it.

If you have a 32 bit system,. I would consider upgrading your hardware, to 64bit, and get some more;/faster ram, since 64bit systems can handle more than the 3 GB limit of 32bit systems and software.

64-bit systems, will still run all your 32-bit software (which will still be limited to the amount of memory they can use)
    but by having a 64 bit system and OS , you can obviously run 64bit software, which should give you better performance.

Carrara 8.5 wasn't designed with any specific "touchy" UI controls,.( for use in Win 8 and touch screens),. but,.. just like any other software, it should be able to run on Windows,. whatever version. by using windows backward version compatibility.

So,. it should work , but there may be some graphical issues, and any touch control would be accidental,. rather than designed.

Hope it helps :)

• homey_jayhomey_jay Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

Thanks 3DAGE!
    "if it Ain’t broke,.. don’t fix it."

This is exactly my thinking - I just ordered a 1TB internal drive from Amazon and I'll install Win7 64bit on there and start adding the apps in my spare time. I'll just be swapping drives until the stuff on the new drive = the stuff on the old drive. Once that's done, I'll attach the old drive, format and keep for backup.

I don't really intend to go to Win 8 but I always like to have a backup plan.. :)

Hopefully, it will all go according to plan

• evilnoodleevilnoodle Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hey.

I am running Carrara 8.5 pro on Windows 8.1 x64 and it seems fine.

Can't guarantee it will work for you but no issues so far on my end.

EvilNoodle

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

If something works well on Windows 7, then is should work fine on Windows 8.

I may be a Microsoft shill, but I must confess that I much prefer Windows 7 over 8. I still use 7 personally but have had 8 forced on me at work (I run some 3rd party tools to make it more like 7).

I doubt most people here will deal with Windows Server 2012; but they put the "Metro" interface (I refuse to call it Windows Modern on principle) on there too. Truly a miserable experience!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

Carrara works fine with Windows 8. But the latest version Windows 8.1 stopped my version of Poser 9 from working, I believe it works OK with Poser 10.

• rubidiumrubidium Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Carrara 8.5 pro (64 bits) works fine for me using windows 8.1.
    Poser 9 did not work with windows 8.1. It seems that poser uses internally Internet Explorer, and the version included with Windows 8.1 caused problems. However Smith Micto released a service pack for poser 9 (and also for poser 10) that solved the problem.

Ramon

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI

Homey_Jay

I just ordered a 1TB internal drive from Amazon and I’ll install Win7 64bit on there and start adding the apps in my spare time. I’ll just be swapping drives until the stuff on the new drive = the stuff on the old drive. Once that’s done, I’ll attach the old drive, format and keep for backup.

You may want to think about getting an external drive,. ...they're relatively cheap, and really easy to work with (USB)
    I have a 1TB internal,. and two 1TB external drives,. One is only connected when I'm backing up, the other is used for storage, it's easy to fill up a few gig's by creating a bunch of texture maps, (normal maps can be huge) there's also animation "sequence files" which can eat up disk space, so I store my working "project files" and final renders, on the external.

just thinking out loud

:)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

rubidium said:
    Carrara 8.5 pro (64 bits) works fine for me using windows 8.1.
    Poser 9 did not work with windows 8.1. It seems that poser uses internally Internet Explorer, and the version included with Windows 8.1 caused problems. However Smith Micto released a service pack for poser 9 (and also for poser 10) that solved the problem.

Ramon

Still doesn't work for me, despite the service release. I reported this to Smith Micro, who shrugged their collective shoulders and said "upgrade to Poser 10". I decided just not to use Poser...I hardly ever used it anyway.
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    ... I decided just not to use Poser...I hardly ever used it anyway.

I agree. Carrara 8.1 Pro can handle virtually every Poser type 3D element, and better than Poser. Also, I just ordered a custom built high end PC and stuck with Win7. I'll have to decide if I want to try the Carrara 8.5 Pro I finally bought when the price was briefly dropped to an appropriate level. I vaguely recall reading about a few instances of problems in 8.5 with things that work in 8.1, and I hate losing features with an "upgrade". About the only feature I feel I'm missing in 8.1 Pro is a browser search, but I don't think that got added to 8.5.