Special Effects And Clever Editing Can Add Spice To A Video

Comments

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156

Indeed! yes

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

+1

whats kewler  dragons breathing fire or shooting flames from their eyes?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

So Cool!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Yup, I take my hat off to the video editor, great stuff and especially great ideas.  I have to give some credit to the little details, like the hoodie in the first one about the ship in a storm, it really looks like an old sea captain's slicker.  And the sound effects and music ... the "Shark Theme" from "Jaws" is instantly scary (wish I could use it in the 48 Hour Film contests, but they are strict about copyrights).

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    Mystiarra said:

+1

whats kewler  dragons breathing fire or shooting flames from their eyes?

zok the laser ray dragon wink

Steve K said:

Yup, I take my hat off to the video editor, great stuff and especially great ideas.  I have to give some credit to the little details, like the hoodie in the first one about the ship in a storm, it really looks like an old sea captain's slicker.  And the sound effects and music ... the "Shark Theme" from "Jaws" is instantly scary (wish I could use it in the 48 Hour Film contests, but they are strict about copyrights).

Yes. In VFX school, I learned that to do great shots like that, it has to be planned out ahead of time - big time in some of his cases. It takes a few different camera shots to be able to make it work in the final composite. This is where Hollywood (well, and Guerilla filmmakers too) will use special gimbals, computer automated camera mounts and the like so that they can repeat the camera moves exactly to get cool shots like that - like when the kid flies to the ceiling, etc.,

Even when everything is done Just Right, it still takes a lot of practice to get the composites right - and convincing. Even using all CG renders with no live action at all can be difficult at first. Since I spend most of my time animating and rendering I still need a LOT of practice compositing. I know a quite a few of the techniques, but now I need the experience of doing it - hence my launching of my site. It's keeping me more 'on target' so it breaks me away from rendering to get into Fusion or HitFilm or____ to get some time into compositing.

So that's why I say that the current 'course' will improve in quality and content as it progresses and we cover more and more topics.

" ... it still takes a lot of practice to get the composites right ... "  Yup..  I get all these emails for products that do "One Step Video Edits".  But I'm gonna stop looking in my video editor for a button for "Great Composite"  wink

Reminds me of the long ago desire for an assembler command "DWIM", "Do What I Meant"

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

and clever use of particle physics

William Forsche has some really cool videos on his channel. It's been a while since I've visited.

Here's two that led me there to begin with - lots of fun! The History of Special Effects, parts 1 and 2

Part 1

Part 2

Since these are really old documentaries now, I feel that we get a better lok at how this all began, and why we should really appreciate how lucky we are to be able to do our own FX on our home computers.

The narrator's comments about perseption are so true. I remember when I first saw this, I was in awe of how real it looked

DUDU said:

What You Need to Build a Video Editing PC in 2020

Good link, DUDU.  I am way too impatient to build my own machine, but I agree pre-built achines are hard to find with what I want.  So I get them built by a one man local company that I've worked with for decades.  He listens to what I'm doing then we talk about components.  He is quite firm about not using "bulk" components, which I think is good as his machines last a long time.  

This is how proficient I'd like to become in Fusion (he's using AE). As you'll see, it all begins with simple things. It's the tweaks that the artist adds that makes it real! This is the fellow (Action Movie Dad) that did the video in the first post of this thread. He's got a whole lot of amazing videos of his kids at Action Movie Kids You Tube Channel. Check them out. They're Very Good!!! ;)

This is Volume 7 of Action Movie Kids - a compilation of about a year of these awesome videos (still short though)!

DUDU said:

Yep. Mine is very similar to his Pier 2 but brought down to just over a $grand.

• Ryzen 7 2700 (previous generation for $ savings)
    • MSI Carbon Pro Gaming AM4 motherboard
    • 64GB RAM - Corsair
    • GTX 1660 - 6GB
    • 1TB m2.2 SSD
    • Corsair Gold 750W PSU
    • 1 Seagate Baracuda 1TB SATA - 1 Western Digital 500 GB SATA - both from pervious build (first thing to upgrade)
    • Antec Tower
    • Windows 10 64 bit Home (full install - not OEM*)

When I built mine, I had to be wary of the maximum RAM alloted for the motherboard, which really narrowed my search a Lot (for the older AM4 cpu slot) - many top out at 16GB, which would have been a good start for me, but I didn't want to be held back. I ended up filling it to capacity with the full 64GB. Going to higher Max RAM availability meant jumping to much higher-end motherboards whose final build price would have been more than doubled.

For Carrara purposes, I could have got by with a much lower-end graphics card but I need to do video editing and VFX compositing, where cuda cores really count! I also want to someday try working more with Daz Studio and Iray. Well, when I tried that I realize that I must have to really dig in to figure out Iray because it still takes a long time to get images covered in fireflies. I know I could do better, but it seems that so many render setup settings are hidden from the user(?) - maybe later.

DaVinci Resolve and its built-in Fusion work really nice with my build. 

* OEM Windows can save you a bit, but beware that it is often configured differently and also often comes packed with bloatware. I spent only a little bit more to get the Full version Win10 (first time ever) and I now have a nice, sleek install of Windows 10 that, with this build is much faster than I can think!