Movement of Waving Flag Not Rendering

What do I have set wrong to cause the movement of my waving flag not to render in Carrara 8.5 Pro?

One frame is rendering only.

What info should I share to help diagnose this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

In the Render room, go to the second tab (panels on the right) "Output"

Change the setting from "Current Frame" to Video and set how you'd like to output the frames.

I have a short article on Rendering Outputs in my "Pacing and Rendering" article: (this link scrolls down to the relevant info)

https://www.dartanbeck.com/carrara-zone/carrara-cg-workshop/pacing-and-rendering#h.p_styt3hVaZw4P

With a physics simulation, be sure that you have the timeline start and end markers set to the area on the timeline that you've simulated, be sure that you've run the simulation ("Simulate Physics" button - the top left button)

• HeavyDHeavyD Posts: 63
    I have the render set for AVI Full Uncompressed. AVI is the only video option on my system. MOV no longer appears. Seems QuickTime is not supported for Windows 10 or 64 bit. All other video render options are still frame sequences. Are there ways to install other codecs for more render options? The gold in marker is at the beginning of the sequence and the end marker is at 30 seconds. The timeline is set for 30 FPS. I have run the Simulate Animation function and the results look good. When I render the file, the frame at the blue edit marker is the only one that renders regardless of where it happens to be on the timeline. Not sure if the "Animate" button near player controls is involved. Should it be highlighted or not? Thanks for your help.
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

afaik  mov is only on the mac version

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    HeavyD said:
    I have the render set for AVI Full Uncompressed. AVI is the only video option on my system. MOV no longer appears. Seems QuickTime is not supported for Windows 10 or 64 bit. All other video render options are still frame sequences. Are there ways to install other codecs for more render options? The gold in marker is at the beginning of the sequence and the end marker is at 30 seconds. The timeline is set for 30 FPS. I have run the Simulate Animation function and the results look good. When I render the file, the frame at the blue edit marker is the only one that renders regardless of where it happens to be on the timeline. Not sure if the "Animate" button near player controls is involved. Should it be highlighted or not? Thanks for your help.

Can't find it in the manual but the 'Animate' button in the top left of the sequencer is like an 'auto key' button. If it is turned off you can make any changes you want in the scene anywhere on the timeline and Carrara won't create a keyframe. When turned on, Carrara creates a keyframe for anything you change down the timeline (unless it's a feature that can't be animated, which is rare in Carrara).

I'm on a Mac so can't help with AVI advice, sorry. I've read off an on here that others have had mixed luck using AVI. Have you tried rendering the animation to an image sequence yet? You can import the image sequence into an external video editor and export to any format available in the the video editor. There are many free options out there.

Sorry if that's 'broken record' advice.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited July 2020

i've never had any trouble with uncompressed avi.  win7 snd win10.  i set a big scratch disk. 80gb of free space

i let the win10 video editor convert it to mp4

the animated gifg works well too.  i set it to 89, diffused

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited July 2020
    HeavyD said:
    When I render the file, the frame at the blue edit marker is the only one that renders regardless of where it happens to be on the timeline.

Is it rendering 'frame 0' no matter where you move the time bar / playhead?

I was digging a little deeper 'cause I feel like I have seen this problem described before and found a possible solution: maybe try setting Smoothing to '0' in the Soft Body Modifier.
    You can simulate with a higher smoothing number, but when it comes to render time for animation, set it to zero, apparaently there is a bug? I don't know because it worked from my end with smoothing set higher, but I'm on a Mac, maybe it was a Windows bug?

Might be worth a try.

smoothing.jpg
    290 x 473 - 25K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

Setting the Smoothing to 0 did the trick. Thanks for that tip!

• rk66rk66 Posts: 438

First Steps Physics by 3dage, here under Publicationhttps://carraracafe.com/downloads/

HeavyD said:

Yaaaay!!!

Also, although I have now switched entirely to rendering to Image Sequence, and use DJV to view the sequence when the render is done (or before if I want to se how it is 'so far') I've rendered to Full Frames avi for years and years - then I'd use those full frames files in Vegas to merge all of my clips together, and finally add a codec for the final version.

Codec - This is a Huge topic. There's a Lot to understand about codecs. I don't know any of it, so I let Vegas, VideoStudio Pro or DaVinci Resolve help me figure out what I want. 

DJV - Awesome! Just drag one of the image file from a sequence into the window and it'll let us play the sequence back at a variety of common speeds. Seems lightweight to me, but this is the most powerful machine I've ever used, so everything seems kinda light! LOL

All that said, I'm so glad that you were able to get it rendered! DesertDude, You ROCK!!!

rk66 said:

First Steps Physics by 3dage, here under Publicationhttps://carraracafe.com/downloads/

Very Cool rk66! Thanks!!!

HeavyD said:

Cool, glad it worked!

All that said, I'm so glad that you were able to get it rendered! DesertDude, You ROCK!!!

Thanks Dartanbeck, but 'tip of the hat' really goes to FENgari, and later in the thread confirmed by WendyLuvsCatz: smiley yes

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4604776/#Comment_4604776

"I've been having this particular problem recently and found that by setting the SoftBody 'Smoothing' parameter to 0 clears the fault and the cloth will animate and render as expected using the Photorealistic render. I completed a quick experiment involving a cloth simulation with Smoothing set to 1, tried to render - no go, then reduced this setting to 0 and it rendered??? I haven't tried the reverse; ie complete a simulation with 0 as the setting and then trying to render with it set on a higher value... I just thought I'd share that with you."

Sweet! Thanks again! And Thanks FENgari and WendyLuvsCatz!!! smiley

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I barely remembered it blush

I barely remembered it blush

That's because you're Always pushing open new doors of creative work-arounds to make stuff work!!! heart

I couldn't have gotten this done without this Forum. Really appreciate this knowledge base!

My render of the flag looks pretty good except for the banding in the white color into the graying shaded areas. What is the right render setting to reduce/eliminate that?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

HeavyD said:

I couldn't have gotten this done without this Forum. Really appreciate this knowledge base!

My render of the flag looks pretty good except for the banding in the white color into the graying shaded areas. What is the right render setting to reduce/eliminate that?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Can you provide a still or a screen grab of the problem? I'm can't quite picture what you are describing

Attached are two different images rendered with different settings. The PNG without the tree background was rendered with higher global illumination settings resulting in a crosshatch banding which seems to have more detail so maybe I need to cranking those settings up a lot higher.

Thanks for you input.

Tree City USA Flag Waving 3029.png
    1920 x 1080 - 183K
    White to Gray Banding in Flag 1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M