Viewport pivot point

Hi! I've been looking around to see if this is a thing, but couldn't really find anything, so I thought I'd ask.

Is there a way, either a built in feature or an extra script or something, that would make it possible to make the pivot point of the 'Perspective View' a selected object automatically?

In case it's not clear, let me elaborate. Let's say I have two characters in the scene, and I want to pose them. For that, I manually drag and rotate the perspective view, to make the character the "center of the scene" or "the center of the viewport window", so to say. That's just so I can rotate around the character, to see how the pose looks from different angles.
Now it'd be pretty neat, if all that dragging and rotating of placing a character in the "middle" could be done by selecting the object, and pressing the button, thus making it the pivot point of the Perspective View.

Hope that makes sense. In any case, thanks for reading and looking forward to any input!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited July 2020

ctrl shift A (cmd shift A for a Mac) will aim the camera at the centre point of the selected node.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • ctrl shift A (cmd shift A for a Mac) will aim the camera at the centre point of the selected node.

Excellent! I have no idea why I couldn't find this info anywhere.

Thank you!

• this is by now the best thing I discovered in 2022.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

There is an icon in the viewport for this, the square one - Select what you want to see, press the icon and the camera/perspective view will rotate around the part you had selected.