Camera able to ignore material (solved)

andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256
edited July 2020 in Product Suggestions

English is not my mother tongue ... so my description might be a bit bumpy because my idea is not easy to explain  ... I apologize in advance.

The problem arises most often when I want to take pictures of actors in cars or planes: I have found the perfect camera angle, but a board, a seat etc. blocks the shot (resulting in black screen instead of picture) .. and the element that blocks my shot cannot be set to "invisible" without making other parts of the vehicle vanishing - ruining my picture. In these situations, I say to myself that it would be heavenly to have a camera that can simply ignore objects cutting through it's lens/housing.

Post edited by andreretogasser on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

Create -> New Iray Section Plane Node

• Gordig said:

Create -> New Iray Section Plane Node

Sorry mate, I am a Neanderthal type user...... your comment could be written in chinese it would be the same.... :-)

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

An Iray Section Plane essentially creates a wall that tells the camera that anything on the "wrong" side of the wall doesn't exist. Create one through the Create menu, then align it with the camera, with (if I remember correctly) Y positive being the delineating line. That means that the green axis on the translating widget (the handles that let you move the object around the scene) must be facing toward the camera. Parent the plane to the camera so that it will follow any changes you make to the camera.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

A section plane is used to create a "cut" in your scene: items on one side render normally, but everything on the other side is gone.

There's a tutorial here:

• andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256
    edited July 2020

Thank you very much Gordig and Leana for taking the time to explain this to me. I'll try that out right away! It's worth gold!

Post edited by andreretogasser on