Non-photorealistic rendering in C8.5 Pro

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Trying to use the non-photorealistic rendering in C8.5 Pro - I'm getting a strange result with this cape - where it's only rendering the middle portion - I set the paper color to yellow and put on the purple and black checkers just to make it clear what I was looking at.

Haven't used the non-photorealistic option before - can anyone tell me why it's giving this result? And how can I adjust things so shows the whole textured cape?

Thanks

NonPhotoCape.png
273 x 284 - 93K

Comments

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited June 2014

Anyone have experience with the non-photorealistic renderer?

I've tried several objects - and some show this behavior, where part of object doesn't render at all or much. Fiddling with parameters like cranking length and thickness of brush all the way up to 200 and 500% respectively sometimes helps in conjunction with setting min brush size up to its maximum of 5% along with other trial and error changes - but not really workable at this point.

Looked in the old manual and still not sure why only that central panel of cape was rendering.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Post edited by Mosk the Scribe on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I can't really see the perspective all that well. Are you saying the whole cape has the checkerboard applied to it?

Also, what look are you gong for? A cell shaded cartoon like render, or a render that looks like a painting or drawing of some sort?

edited June 2014

OK - I've partially figured this out, though it doesn't fix the problem for me.

By design, the cape model is folded back over itself on each side (so, two layers of cloth) - and wherever it has two layers of thickness, nothing is showing up.

If I go into the model room and soft select vertices from that portion of the cape and drag them off to the side (thus distorting the model and making it unusable) - then the non-photorealistic renderer does render properly.

So, that's the problem.

Any idea how to fix this or work around it (other than not using models with more than one layer?? - this is the Moroccan Dreams cape if anyone wants to test it on their system)

NOTE - selecting the polygons in that second layer and turning them invisible fixes the problem as well, though that's a PITA in this model since all has to be done manually, and also means you're losing the nice look of the two layers.

Post edited by Mosk the Scribe on
    edited December 1969

Have another case where non-realistic renderer is not working right.

With the hood for Moroccan Dreams -

If I view it from above or behind, the whole thin renders properly.

If I view the food from front on (as if looking into someone's face) - much of the hood renders as transparent with the background showing through.

Is this buggy behavior or are there just some parameters that need to be tweaked. Would greatly appreciate any help from someone who's used the non-photo-realistic renderer enough to explain.

Thanks