What is .EXP technology?

shanteshante Posts: 206
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I wanted to take advantage of some of the PA item sales for V4 and came across several character/texture sets that clearly require .EXP technology.
I clicked on the link for installing and more info but it went to the old DAZ sister site: ARTZONE that no longer exists, thus no info was available. (Same holds true BTW for some of the texture details for the really nice textures and morphs for V4 when they posted the nude images to better show the morphs and textures for Elite, etc)). It is frustrating as hell not being able to see body skin details and body shape details as they should be shown (same old same old complaint...sorry I just can't get it unstuck in my craw!).

Really annoying these links are still in the product pages but go nowhere especially if there isn't better explanation for the requirements needed before even considering spending your money on what seem really nice products.
I also notice many products in the store have one image representing the product: a closeup of the face texture/morph at the exclusion of the rest of the face/body/texture options. I know these products are on sale and will eventually be removed as use and support for V4/M4 dies down but please show what I am getting before I spend my $2 on them. Please leave the complete set of product thumbs! I don't do portraits exclusively. I do action and fantasy/Pin-up illustration for a living, so seeing the full package is important.

Comments

• shanteshante Posts: 206
    edited December 1969

Now I am even more confused.
    I don't have anything on my desktop to double click nor do I ever double click anything when adding third party morphs and textures. I have seen very few products even here that expound the necessity for .ExP technology.
    The only ones so far are the the Surreality Modern Muses Series and only a few of them at that.

On a Mac I install most of my products onto a Fake Runtime folder on my desktop either using an installer for the product that comes with it or as is mostly the case of late even from DAZ, I install it by hand the way it is easiest for me to find the products(s) in my REAL Runtime folder and then transfer them all at once to my active Runtime Folder with absolutely no problem.

Using the DAZ installers was creating a jumbled mess in my system and I had no idea what was what and what was where when i needed to track it down. So products that require initializing (beyond the original nightmare that came with V4/M4) I try to avoid (which is frustrating because I close myself off from a wider assortment of cool stuff out there).

I have morphs for instance in my Pose Library I have no idea what they do outside of fill a folder and take up valuable realestate on my computer. A good example are the Creature Creator Morphs. I am not sure if they are placeholders or individual morphs when injecting the whole set is available. But I have found they don't work individually so, I've reasoned they must be reference morph info and therefore a pain in the butt when i have to quickly find Creature Creator Morphs to inject from various folders with the same darn name.
    I can't believe there isn't an easier way to do this than this convoluted and painfully complex methodology of morph injections.

Are the new Genesis figures set up the same way?

So if I am thinking of getting another computer I am going to have to re-initialize all my Mil4 figures AGAIN to work on that instead of what I have always done: DRAG the Runtime folder from one system to another and just transfer all the stuff in it across to use on another system or newer version of Poser! And I assume using these figures in a newer version of Poser I'll have to do the same thing?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Basically all it really means is that when you install V4.2 and her morph packs then you need to run the .bat file (initialise them), and then the morph injections will work.

Since v4.2 this is automatic. The only reason there is still mention of exp tech is because it dates from the time when things changed, and V4 was updated.

• shanteshante Posts: 206
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Basically all it really means is that when you install V4.2 and her morph packs then you need to run the .bat file (initialise them), and then the morph injections will work.

Since v4.2 this is automatic. The only reason there is still mention of exp tech is because it dates from the time when things changed, and V4 was updated.

Oh!?
    So is that why I have not had to do all this with .Exp technology since I updated to V4.2?
    So if I do get Surreality characters that require .ExP I can just ignore and install normally?
    So, when i get a new computer I can in fact just drag all the stuff that is working relatively well in my current P7 Runtime folder on this computer over to say P2014 on a newer computer w/o a problem?

And while I have your helpful attention dear, maybe you can also explain to me, what all those, what appear to be individual pose morphs, are in my Pose Library and if I can just toss them if I am not using them or do the general Creature Creator Complete Morph injectors and Muscle Morphs injector etc., need to have these individual morphs as place holders to work?
    I am trying to remove unnecessary clutter from my Runtime folder and get rid of anything that I do not need to streamline work-flo but with the complexities of the Mil4 figures in system I am not sure what I can toss and what needs to remain.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

You still need to manually run the *.bat files if you're manually installing zip files and not using DIM (it used to be carried out by the installer prior to zips).

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2014

shante said:
    chohole said:

Oh!?
    So is that why I have not had to do all this with .Exp technology since I updated to V4.2?
    So if I do get Surreality characters that require .ExP I can just ignore and install normally?
    So, when i get a new computer I can in fact just drag all the stuff that is working relatively well in my current P7 Runtime folder on this computer over to say P2014 on a newer computer w/o a problem?

And while I have your helpful attention dear, maybe you can also explain to me, what all those, what appear to be individual pose morphs, are in my Pose Library and if I can just toss them if I am not using them or do the general Creature Creator Complete Morph injectors and Muscle Morphs injector etc., need to have these individual morphs as place holders to work?
    I am trying to remove unnecessary clutter from my Runtime folder and get rid of anything that I do not need to streamline work-flo but with the complexities of the Mil4 figures in system I am not sure what I can toss and what needs to remain.

I actually backed up all my runtimes onto an external, so when I changed computers I could just link them to my Poser from the external, or copy them to the new PC hard drive and then link.

I have always left the individual pose morphs, because there are times when I just want to have one or two morphs, not the whole bundle. so I am not sure how necessary they are.

You need to look for the DzCreateExpFiles-V4 (-K4 -M4 -V4V3) if you need to run the .bat file manually

Post edited by Chohole on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

With P6 and P7, it is better to run it the .bat file after installing any major morph pack. Not just the V4 morphs. If you install A4 or S4, Creature or Muscle and especially if you install something like one of the corrective morph packages sold at stores like Rendo.

I've found that I need to run the .bat file periodically. One way to know you need to run it again is if you inject the morphs but nothing happens when you move the dial. It doesn't happen to every user all the time but it happens.