Problems with hair conforming to ears on Genesis

HabitualGypsyHabitualGypsy Posts: 87
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I'm having problems with certain Hair figures conforming to non-standard shape ears. For example, here's Genesis with PH Punk Hair.The only morphs are Basic Female and Ears Elf Long (both at 1.00). For some reason, the hair stretches out to drape over the ear instead of letting the ear poke through like you would expect.

I'm not sure what's causing this and I don't recall encountering before. Of course, I've been in a vintage phase lately, working with gen 3 figures (I know, right?), so I haven't been messing around with Genesis for a month or two. But again, this seems like a recent problem.

Also, I'm still getting that stupid "Duplicate Formulas" message whenever I load Genesis into a scene. And that's after I re-downloaded the Genesis Starter essentials and re-wrote over the old files. I'm not sure if this is related - I doubt it would be, but who knows?

So, anyone out there ever encounter this Genesis/hair problem?

hair-problem_gns+punk.png
540 x 540 - 211K

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I have some of the PH products, just not the one you are using, but I have found a morphs to fix the problem.

Select the Hair, then go to the Parameters pane, then select the Hair > Actor > Head > Ears, and there is a morph called PHMEarsElfLong in there. I dialled it back to about -30, and it looks OK.

If that doesn't work for you, you could also add the hair, right click on it, and choose 'Fit to' and 'None', then you could parent the hair to the Head yourself?

See how you get on with that?

• HabitualGypsyHabitualGypsy Posts: 87
    edited December 1969

I have some of the PH products, just not the one you are using, but I have found a morphs to fix the problem.

Select the Hair, then go to the Parameters pane, then select the Hair > Actor > Head > Ears, and there is a morph called PHMEarsElfLong in there. I dialled it back to about -30, and it looks OK.

If that doesn't work for you, you could also add the hair, right click on it, and choose 'Fit to' and 'None', then you could parent the hair to the Head yourself?

See how you get on with that?

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the PH Punk hair only has morphs for fixing and styling... nothing for matching any morphs (i.e. ears) to Genesis. BTW, I also tried with Aldorra hair and ran into the same problem. It DID have ear morphs but only two - and they weren't the ones I needed. It seems like the various hair products for Genesis have the same issues as the old gen3 & gen4 clothing: no consistency on what morphs were included on a given item. Ironically, the feature that resolved that (Genesis+AutoFit) appears not to apply to gen5 (and gen6?) hair.

I did, however, try your second solution. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that already - it seems pretty obvious. And yes it worked. It required a little manual fitting - a bit of scaling here, a bit of translating there - but wasn't a hassle at all. So, yeah, that did the trick.

Thanks again for your help!

-Damon
    aka HabitualGypsy

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,234
    edited June 2014

These types of morphs are hidden by default you can select to show hidden properties or parameters from the dropdown and dial the unwanted morph out of the hair. It should be in the actor section ussually.

Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on
  • HabitualGypsyHabitualGypsy Posts: 87
    edited December 1969

Razor 42 said:
    These types of morphs are hidden by default you can select to show hidden properties or parameters from the dropdown and dial the unwanted morph out of the hair. It should be in the actor section ussually.

Yeah, I tried that; but when the Hair is Fitted To Genesis, I can't seem to get anything to Unhide. Now if I change the Fit To to None, then any morphs I used on Genesis appear under Actor - but already at 0%. Then, when I change the Fit To back to Genesis, those morphs disappear from Actor. And no matter what I right-click on and select Unhide Selected Properties, nothing new appears. It's very odd.

As I said in my previous post, I was able to work around it on PH Punk by changing the Fit To to None, then adjusting various Translate and Scale values until it "looked right". Then, I just parented the hair to Genesis' Head. But when I try to do that with a morph that changes Genesis' morph more dramatically - Basic Child at 1.00, for instance - the issue of fitting by dials becomes much more complex, not to mention frustrating.

I'd love to just get it to fit. Your solution seems logical, but I just can't get it to work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

-Damon
    aka HabitualGypsy

edited December 1969

Sorry I was away for a few days.

I put a quick visual guide together so you can see what I mean for the process I described.
    Maybe you might pick up something in the process you were missing. If this doesnt work it must be something specific to the hair piece.

TurnOff_hair_morphs.jpg
    1177 x 2000 - 371K
  • MaqeuriousMaqeurious Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Razor 42 said:
    Sorry I was away for a few days.

I put a quick visual guide together so you can see what I mean for the process I described.
    Maybe you might pick up something in the process you were missing. If this doesnt work it must be something specific to the hair piece.

Reviving a dead thread, but I just had to say thank you Razor!! This was exactly the tweak I needed, and it worked perfectly. Thanks muchly :D

edited December 1969

Your welcome maqeurious :)

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much for the visual Razor, I too have been looking for a solution to this problem