Wacom Tablets

GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Earlier this week, I bought a Wacom Intuos Pro Large tablet. Coincidentally, I saw in a forum post that headwax had recently purchased one. Now Wendy has one too.

First, WTH is it with these devices and Australians?!?!?!?

Second, who else owns one? How do you like it? How do you use it? Mouse replacement or strictly within your painting software? I am finding odd to get used to, especially as a mouse replacement. But I do hope that it will help me - eventually - with Photoshop work.

Thoughts? Comments?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

mine still charging :long:
    is a "small" one according to product description, I thought was pretty big for my crowded desk
    I want it just for 2D drawing actually and hopefully painting too maybe textures
    will certainly try in carrara but was not my main intention

2014_06_06_14_16_25_589.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

The Large one is definitely a space-consumer and at the moment I cannot keep it on my desk as a mouse replacement. I'll need to reorganize (and clean up!) a lot before that happens.

Make sure you get the latest drivers installed Wendy. I found Photoshop to be rather sluggish at first with the tablet. That seems to have been relieved a lot with a driver update.

edited December 1969

well out the box is a worry

Untitled.png
    2000 x 2000 - 555K
  • That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

I have an Intuos3 small size on desk as mouse replacement; haven't used a mouse in years. Works great for every app I use except Daz3D, where a mouse works well; problem is, the mouse causes my wrist and forefinger to hurt like #%#! in a matter of minutes so I use a trackpad when dabbling in Daz.

Have tried some of the newer ones and have the current Intuos (grey) but prefer the Intuos3 primarily for the gliding feel as opposed to the newer scratchy surface. Personal preference.

Though there are buttons on the tablet, I never use them.

edited June 2014

http://youtu.be/y1N5kVLx1b0
    remember first time in my klutzy hands, hope I get better!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Good stuff, I am definitely curious to hear more about how people are using tablets.

Are there are favourite configuration settings you have for the buttons?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Hey gar stir :) sorry frighten ipad turned Garstir into that! Garstor !
    See three goes.
    I have one cause publishers kept saying, oh that's great work but it rally looks gc. Make that gc! CG! Don't you hate autofill.
    I just use it plane jane, with the keypad, at the moment cause I need my workflow....

I have been using it in post,
    WORKFLOW - carrara render a few passes ... Usual, index and coverage
    Take into ps then do post work, then use layers to darken, soften, saturate and smart blur, and also lighten , then save as individual files
    Then bring into painter x13" use auto clone, and use those above psd files as the sources, for hand working

So it's a post tool for adding hand working for me. Frowned on by purists who insist on trying to build their house with a screwdriver I note :)
    I haven't tried using it in carrara yet. As a mouse substitute,
    I chose a medium size and glad I did as it is big enough

Just depends on desk space and size of stomach to rest in on
    If you live in oz, office works sell it for 399' but go I with some net printouts and they have to beat the price by 5 percent... So mine was 316 dollars oz.

A bargain !

edited December 1969

Sorry about the jargon , late at night and I hate my ipad keyboard...

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Your first mistake is using an Apple product... :coolgrin:

Actually, I couldn't help but notice that iPads were insanely popular in Oz. I don't understand it myself. (Cue evilproducer snark in 4...3...2...)

edited December 1969

We'll I am sitting propped up in bed... I could have had my airframe read mainframe here instead but my wife hates sleeping on the floor!

edited December 1969

To be honest I sold a lot of paintings at our last show and had to reward myself ... So it was Lear jet or intuos , Lear jet or intuous, In the end the Lear jet won out but I couldn't get one in teal ...;)

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited June 2014

Garstor said:
    head wax said:

Actually, I couldn't help but notice that iPads were insanely popular in Oz. I don't understand it myself. (Cue evilproducer snark in 4...3...2...)

I'll jump in before Evil gets here... I am Apple all the way and wouldn't have it any other way. Preference, I guess.

Regarding the iPad keyboard... it is possible to use dictation to type... I almost never type anymore. On my computers, I use Dragon Dictate (which is also available for Windows). On the iPad, Dictation is pretty good.

Post edited by That Other Persona on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    To be honest I sold a lot of paintings at our last show and had to reward myself ... So it was Lear jet or intuos , Lear jet or intuous, In the end the Lear jet won out but I couldn't get one in teal ...;)

Niiiiice! For the record, if I was in Newcastle, I would have bought one of your paintings too! :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited June 2014

Garstor said:
    head wax said:

All virtual keyboards suck. It doesn't matter if it's the iPad's or one of the rip-offs. I suppose M$'s is just the same as everybody else, but the problem with theirs is that they want you to use the touch screen on a desktop as well- Never mind that it doesn't actually have a touch screen... That's okay though, you could always try a different version of Windows 8, provided you could figure out which version you can run....

Snarky enough Garsman? ;-P

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

All virtual keyboards suck. It doesn't matter if it's the iPad's or one of the rip-offs. I suppose M$'s is just the same as everybody else, but the problem with theirs is that they want you to use the touch screen on a desktop as well- Never mind that it doesn't actually have a touch screen... That's okay though, you could always try a different version of Windows 8, provided you could figure out which version you can run....

Snarky enough Garsman? ;-P

That's a pretty good first attempt. Honestly, I have little use for any cell phone or tablet device. Give me a regular computer any day...vastly more powerful.

For the record, Windows 8 sucks. I hate the new interface. They moved my cheese!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

That's a pretty good first attempt. Honestly, I have little use for any cell phone or tablet device. Give me a regular computer any day...vastly more powerful.

For the record, Windows 8 sucks. I hate the new interface. They moved my cheese!

I haven't had my caffeine yet. ;-)