How about the next version has lights that act like real lights?

msep_aec684d3fdmsep_aec684d3fd Posts: 32
edited July 2020 in Product Suggestions

One of the things I hate about DAZ Studio is the way lights work--or rather don't work. 

The most irritating manifestation of the bad lighting problem is that when the camera moves close to a figure, the lights go dark. The closer the camera gets to the figures, the darker the lights get--the exact opposite of what happens in life. Whose idea was that?

Additionally, I will often be attempting to light a scene and find light coming from places where there are no lights--from the side usually.  For example, I have a scene that has no extra lights in it, just the headlamp on the one camera in the scene, draw dome off, and when rendered, the light appears to be a yellow light coming from the right hand side.

Another issue I run into frequently is when the program ignores lights I put in. I put a spotlight pointing directly at an object or figure, and it doesn't register as casting any light in renders. I can turn the intensity up, put the light right in front of the object and nothing. I can add a dozen spotlights or pinlights all pointing at the same object, and it will get slightly brighter. Not the way lights work in the real world.

Post edited by msep_aec684d3fd on

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

IDK.  Daz lights are fine.

• Don't try using the headlamp, it isn't reallly going to work (and I'm pretty sure it is getting darker as you zoom in because it is offset from the camera - hold a torch/flashlight out at arm's length and approach a walll - see how the area in front of your eyes gets darker).

Draw Dome controls whether the dome is shown as a backdrop, ir has nothing to do with whether the HDR is contributing light to the scene - in your case it is. If you don't want the HDR/Sun and Sky then set the Environment mode to Scene Only in Render Settings.

If the HDR, which is probably as strong as a bright day outside, is on then it will swamp scene lights - just as a standard light makes very little difference to a room that has the sun streaming in.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

Another issue I run into frequently is when the program ignores lights I put in. I put a spotlight pointing directly at an object or figure, and it doesn't register as casting any light in renders. I can turn the intensity up, put the light right in front of the object and nothing.

Intensity doesn't do much with iray lights. If you want to make a light brighter, you need to increase the Luminous Flux parameter. I'd also recommend changing the light geometry to something other than "Point" - it'll look more realistic that way.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

One of the things I hate about DAZ Studio is the way lights work--or rather don't work. 

The most irritating manifestation of the bad lighting problem is that when the camera moves close to a figure, the lights go dark. The closer the camera gets to the figures, the darker the lights get--the exact opposite of what happens in life. Whose idea was that?

Additionally, I will often be attempting to light a scene and find light coming from places where there are no lights--from the side usually.  For example, I have a scene that has no extra lights in it, just the headlamp on the one camera in the scene, draw dome off, and when rendered, the light appears to be a yellow light coming from the right hand side.

Another issue I run into frequently is when the program ignores lights I put in. I put a spotlight pointing directly at an object or figure, and it doesn't register as casting any light in renders. I can turn the intensity up, put the light right in front of the object and nothing. I can add a dozen spotlights or pinlights all pointing at the same object, and it will get slightly brighter. Not the way lights work in the real world.

Might need to spend some time learning how the lights work before bashing them. Iray uses unbiased rendering, which means the lights work like they do in the real world. Based off what you posted, i don't have those issues. Would be more helpful if you have a speciic scene and then post the issues you are having so we can try and help

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Intensity is not for Iray lighst and would not be seen if Show Hidden was not checked.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,201

iray lighting in studio can be very realistic.

you just need to spend a little time learning how it works.   

just experiment and enjoy yourself. 

if you post an image you're struggling here, you'll probably get all kinds of useful practical suggestions.  probably some product recommendations, too.

good luck!

j

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798
    jestmart said:

Intensity is not for Iray lighst and would not be seen if Show Hidden was not checked.

Not true. I'm not showing hidden properties, but I still see the Intensity slider.

I've also done some experiments, and discovered that intensity does now work with iray (I'm sure it didn't when Iray first came out). I still reckon it's best to change Luminous Flux instead though.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

the headlamp is likely the issue for the OP, it only should be used to set up a scene.

an emitter parented to the camera is a better choice for a first person perspective holding a light effect if it's wanted, the position in relation to the camera is also important as most likely below eye level or to the side if a torch, lamp or candle carried.