Just a quick question

fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Is there a way to save a Bryce render in PNG format with a transparent background? I know I can save/export the render in PNG but I haven't been able to save one with a transparent background.

What I'm wanting to do if possible is render a few trees that I like and use them as a texture on a 2d plane in other programs I have. I love Bryce trees and hope it's possible.

Comments

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited June 2014

Hi FR,

It's very possible, and easy-ish if you have an image editor like The GIMP, Photoshop, etc.

1. Render your scene. Save the image.

2. Without changing your camera angle at all, select the items in your scene that you DON'T want transparent.

3. In your Render Options, select Object Mask. This tells Bryce to render your selected objects as white, and everything else black.

4. Render your scene. Save the image, but add 'mask' to the end of the name.

5. The rest of the steps really depend on the image editor you're using. The technique is to use the inverse of the mask image as a selection to get rid of the background of the main image. Then save it as a PNG.

Post edited by Oroboros on
  • fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

Oroboros said:
    Hi FR,

It's very possible, and easy-ish if you have an image editor like The GIMP, Photoshop, etc.

1. Render your scene. Save the image.

2. Without changing your camera angle at all, select the items in your scene that you DON'T want transparent.

3. In your Render Options, select Object Mask. This tells Bryce to render your selected objects as white, and everything else black.

4. Render your scene. Save the image, but add 'mask' to the end of the name.

5. The rest of the steps really depend on the image editor you're using. The technique is to use the inverse of the mask image as a selection to get rid of the background of the main image. Then save it as a PNG.

ooh thank you

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

+1 I never would've thought it possible. Definitely going to save this info for future reference. :coolsmile: