Using Bryce PC on newer Macs with Winebottler

Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 500
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

zroq mentioned in another thread that you can run Bryce PC on post 10.6 Macs under the free WineBottler app. After a couple of hours of messing with it I found it works quite well except for 2 issues:
1) The resize and rotate gadgets in the Edit menu don't work but the onscreen controls function properly.
2) Even at High Priority Bryce only uses half the avaliable cores for rendering so, at least in my case, makes for a 20% or so longer render then running the Mac version.

Install took some figuring out so here's the steps I had to take under OS10.8.5. Looks kinda difficult (and I do tend to exceesive verbage) but it's not really that hard.

Downloads and installs:

For an OS greater then 10.7 Apple no longer included the X11 software requried but it's available as the open-source app XQuartz here:
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/
Install the software and restart your Mac (very important!)

Download and install Winebottler here:
http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/downloads

Download Bryce 7.1 from your DAZ account - go to Product Library and select the "Bryce7" item and download the Bryce_7.1.0.109_Win32.exe .
Might also want to get your Bryce Pro serial number form the Product Codes section since you'll need ti when you run PC Bryce and it also unlocks the Pro features (assuming you bought Pro Bryce).

Setting up Bryce PC in Winebottler:
Load WB and click on the Advance tab.
Leave everything as it is except "Program to install" where you use the "Select File" button to navigate to the Bryce PC .exe and check the radio button for "This is an installer, execute it".

Also select the checkmark for "Bundle: Include Wine binaries…"

Now Select the "Install" button and after some WB prep happens you'll get the DAZ .Bitrock Installer app and just follow the instructions except change the Save file name to Bryce7_PC (so you can tell it apart from Mac Bryce). After the install is done in WB switch to the "On My Mac" tab and you should see the Bryce7_PC file in the Installed WB apps section. But don't load it quite yet.

Running Bryce PC:
Very important! Quit WB and restart your Mac. Other wise you'll be unable to load Mac .BR7 files. After restart load WB and click the"On My Mac" tab and click on the Bryce icon. Once Bryce loads enter your serial number and you should be good to go!

Just remember that Mac key commands where you usually use "Command" you now use "Control". Like Control+E opens the Edit windows.
Bryce PC also won' open the Mac .PCT scene images so you'll have to re-render.

Hope this works for other Mac users and any corrections, comments or problems please feel free to post them here.