Is anyone using Carrara 8 & 8.5 Pro for Animation?

2»

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

vynce said:
    Thanks ! :)

It's not professional - I'm a total hobbyist ;)

By the way, the volcano scene with the lava behind the singer was rendered in Carrara too... and you can also recognize the typical Carrara skies in the following sequence (in the ruins).

A lot of work was done with the lights indeed. The candelabras use 7 lights each.

Clearly you have some mad skillz™. ;-)

I'm not one to consider a hobbyist any less of an artist just because they need a day job. I myself fit that category! If you have the time and the inclination, I would encourage you to post suggestions or tips when time allows. We need all the vocal Carrara users we can get!

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

vynce said:
    I'm not sure you'll find this video interesting... Real musicians, but the most of the cathedral inside views were rendered with Carrara. Tracking was done with Syntheyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fADPM7DFtq8

A screen capture of Carrara :

THAT IS AWESOME!!! TUTORIAL!! TUTORIAL!!! :cheese:
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

vynce said:
    I'm not sure you'll find this video interesting... Real musicians, but the most of the cathedral inside views were rendered with Carrara. ...

Stunningly good. :bug:

I participate in the 48 Hour Film Contest (two days to make a ~5 minute video, I do an animation). They also have a separate Music Video contest in some cities around the world. The local (Houston) producer wanted me to try an animated music video with a local band, but I declined, realizing it would not happen in two days with all the people involved. I think what she had in mind was something like this. Not a chance in two days ... or two years with my skills ....

I declare you the international winner. I realize you did not enter the contest. I don't care.

• vyncevynce Posts: 0
    edited June 2014

Oh thanks... I'm glad you like my work.

I'm afraid I'm not really qualified for doing a tutorial, I wouldn't know where to start, and how to explain things - apart from the fact that I'm completely drowned in a musical project right now (yes, I'm one of the musicians you see in the video ;) ). I dropped a few lines for the next issue of C3DE, so you'll have some more info about what was made with Carrara quite soon I guess.

Anyway, I must pinpoint the fact that this is clearly a one-year project. I have no computer farm, and I am alone, so rendering all the sequences you see took something like 6 months - 24/24 7/7. So.... as you see, 2 days would be a bit too short :D

I often visit this forum, and I enjoy reading it. I benefited a lot from all the advices given by the gurus here, so thank you to all of you here.

When I saw this topic, I thought I could give an example of what can be done with C8. Generally speaking, I think Carrara is underestimated, as far as the renderer is concerned... so, if you're reading this and hesitate investing in Carrara for animation purposes, maybe it can convince you, who knows ?

Maybe I could just tell you 3 important things that helped me for this project :

1 - Motivation : I was REALLY motivated, because I made it to promote my own band, which is an important part of my life.
    2 - Time : I thought investing one whole year of my (spare) time (apart my normal job) was worth it.
    3 - Confidence : I was certain that Carrara could do whatever render I needed. I'm pretty sure that I would not have any better result using some other expensive package. Actually, a very few things were done in Vue, but essentially for licence reasons (the exterior cathedral was licensed for Vue only - yep, I also have a Vue license, but still prefer working with Carrara).

Apart from that, I don't think there's anything special about how it was done... but if you have any question, I'll be happy to answer.

(and by the way, maybe some of you have already watched this other (oooold) video made with Carrara too, featuring some character animation too - and simulated cloth from Poser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72NcJC48iAQ )

Post edited by vynce on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

vynce said:

1 - Motivation : I was REALLY motivated, because I made it to promote my own band, which is an important part of my life. ...

All good points, this one in particular.

• Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Vynce, I am completely sockless..

THANK YOU for sharing and well done on such a FANTASTIC job :D

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

vynce said:
    I'm not sure you'll find this video interesting... Real musicians, but the most of the cathedral inside views were rendered with Carrara. Tracking was done with Syntheyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fADPM7DFtq8

A screen capture of Carrara :

Love it!
    Great job on the composite, and I like the tune as well! Rock On! :ahhh:
  • vyncevynce Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh thanks ! I'm glad you like the music too. That was the primary motivation after all :).

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

vynce said:
    Oh thanks ! I'm glad you like the music too. That was the primary motivation after all :).
    I've been a Heavy Metal drummer for a long time. Love it.