NASA's Warp Speed Space Ship

Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions
NASA_Warp_Ship.jpg
1280 x 720 - 71K

Comments

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Thanks for posting that link, I saw it yesterday and meant to read it, then totally forgot about it.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    Thanks for posting that link, I saw it yesterday and meant to read it, then totally forgot about it.

My pleasure. SciFi is my favorite genre for animations, so having a Poser format model to use in Carrara would be nice.

I have my doubts about the feasibility of this, but it is true that the speed of light is *not* a limit on the expansion speed of space. Plus, without faster than light travel, stories about interstellar space travel get pretty dicey. As Douglas Adams wrote:

"Space... is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is... "

(Actually, I was happy in Newton's universe, which works fine for Steampunk.) :coolgrin:

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048
    edited May 2018

I saw this this freebie over at ShareCG just now.  Here's the link

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/42440/nasa-s-warp-speed-space-ship

TRON has a couple of versions, and an .obj with a bunch of material zones is included if you don't mind taking the time to apply a few shaders.

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

That link just comes back to this forum.  Here is the correct link:

https://www.sharecg.com/v/84533/browse/5/3D-Model/NASA-Warp-Ship2

Dana

Very nice, looks like a high level of detail.  Thanks.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Very nice model, but note that the .obj version isn't really DAZ|Studio-ready — there's a whole bunch of n-gons in the cockpit and maybe a few other places, and without a .mtl file, there's no clue what the coloured parts should be. Much better results from converting the .lwo version (the .3ds version is coloured like a cheerful kid's toy) into .obj and import with the new .mtl file. Although there's still something weird (in the Viewport only, they render properly) with the top and bottom domes, and the forward hull where the cockpit is. Lots of black, shimmering as I rotate the camera, almost as if there were reversed normals.

The materials convert nicely to Iray, although I'm having problems reducing the shininess, and I've no idea which materials the Panel2.jpg texture should be applied to.

I did a quick test in Carrara, the *.obj model loads fine and I loaded a Carrara metal preset to one of the many material zones.  Looks good,

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,538
    edited July 2018

NASA Warp Ship by tkdrobert

Did is over a year ago.

Post edited by tkdrobert on

Nice render, the small lights give a good sense of scale.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,538
    Steve K said:

Nice render, the small lights give a good sense of scale.

Thanks it's one of my favorites.  I hope someone from NASA printed it out and hung it up in their office.  laugh