Genesis1 for Carrara Pro 6?

GumpOtakuGumpOtaku Posts: 106
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi all,

I was wondering... can it be logically possible to export a fully clothed Genesis1 as an OBJ and do the rest of the scene building in Carrara Pro 6?

Thanks for answering my somewhat stupid question,
~GO

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I take it you want to export the .obj file from Studio?

I would think you could, but it won't be rigged and I don't know what morphs you'd lose. That would be the only way to bring a genesis figure into any Carrara version earlier than C8.5.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

GumpOtaku said:
    Hi all,

I was wondering... can it be logically possible to export a fully clothed Genesis1 as an OBJ and do the rest of the scene building in Carrara Pro 6?

~GO

Right. The simple answer would be "no". But as other folks are finding methods to get Genesis to work in software that is't at all compatible, like LightWave, for example, I'd imagine that anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
    edited December 1969

GumpOtaku said:
    Hi all,

~GO

Right. The simple answer would be "no". But as other folks are finding methods to get Genesis to work in software that is't at all compatible, like LightWave, for example, I'd imagine that anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

I think the OP wanted to bring in just the geometry. I used to do that when I was using C5. I never got the stupid Transposer plugin to work, so I resorted to either posing the figure in D|S and exporting it as an .obj file (and it was locked in that pose because no rig was imported), or I would export the figure in the standard t-pose and rig it in Carrara. I would tend to lose my morphs, so the OP would want to set those before bringing in the geometry.

edited December 1969

Right. I could tell that was the angle you've replied with right away.
    Never know... Wendy shot us THIS LINK from a LightWave forum, where they discuss how they're getting Genesis into LightWave. It might somehow shed some tidbits of light on how to go about it, perhaps not.

To me, re-rigging the thing would make it considerably not worth it. But that's just me.

edited June 2014

Same here, although I did do that for my video where the T-rex eats me. At the time I had no choice. You could export the dressed and posed model as an obj. file from Studio and import it into Carrara. That would be less of a PITA.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

That's a really cool video! I don't want you getting eaten by a T-Rex... but it's a really cool video! :ahhh:

• GumpOtakuGumpOtaku Posts: 106
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the help everyone!

I have concluded that importing Genesis, for the time begin, is implausible. But I am raising money for C8.5. So I am trying now to translate my OC to an V4 version.

~GO

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

GumpOtaku said:

I have concluded that importing Genesis, for the time begin, is implausible.
    ~GO

It simply depends on what you are doing:

Animation: you could do this (via mdd), but it's going to be some serious work;

Stills: of course you can! I do it all the time: set up poses, morphs etc. in Studio (and regarding clothing: use the superior smoothing modifiers), export as obj (Poser Profile, check Write Groups - Use Figure Name(s)), Import into Carrara, Poser Profile, Grouping: check Create one object per Group, it's important to use the specified export and import Options, so that the Poser scaling is consistent.

You have to adjust shaders of course, but with the latest version of Studio some of the textures are kept (which was a culprit before Carrara 8.5 and I was surprised yesterday that has changed now - using Carrara 8).

So: if C6 has the import options i mentioned and you're going for stills: try it, because if you use some third party morphs (e.g. Perfect V4), which are IMHO superior to the advantages of Genesis and G2F in regard of realistic bending, it's the only way to get them into Carrara in the intended way.

edited December 1969

Frank__ said:
    GumpOtaku said:

~GO

Stills: of course you can! I do it all the time: set up poses, morphs etc. in Studio (and regarding clothing: use the superior smoothing modifiers), export as obj (Poser Profile, check Write Groups - Use Figure Name(s)), Import into Carrara, Poser Profile, Grouping: check Create one object per Group, it's important to use the specified export and import Options, so that the Poser scaling is consistent.

You have to adjust shaders of course, but with the latest version of Studio some of the textures are kept (which was a culprit before Carrara 8.5 and I was surprised yesterday that has changed now - using Carrara 8).

So: if C6 has the import options i mentioned and you're going for stills: try it, because if you use some third party morphs (e.g. Perfect V4), which are IMHO superior to the advantages of Genesis and G2F in regard of realistic bending, it's the only way to get them into Carrara in the intended way.

That's a good question. Dart, Evil... If you are still here does C6 have these import options?

edited June 2014

If you want a rigged Genesis figure in C6, you will need to import the .obj file (which is the geometry) and rig it yourself in Carrara as Genesis rigging isn't supported prior to C8.5. Studio should allow you to export a morphed and posed figure as an .obj file, and I think it will even offer the option of gathering the image maps and writing a material file, so you'll want to maybe set up a folder just for that figure to keep stuff in one place. If you want to rig it, save it in a t-pose. if it's for a still and you want locked then pose it in Studio.

C6 will not import .duf or collada. I have no idea about MDD, but I suspect not. The .obj import options mentioned by Frank should be there in C6.

edited December 1969

yea evil, stills are what I am aiming for...

I will start the hard work a little later.

edited June 2014

My personal inclination would be for future characters to build them in C6 with V4/M4. The renderer is nice, the shader system powerful and posing them just as easy as the other apps I've tried. Plus, the browser system makes it stupid simple to save multi-domain shaders (for those custom skin tweaks) and also to save nude and clothed figures (clothed figures need to be grouped with their clothes first-very simple). They load faster too.

edited December 1969

GumpOtaku said:
    Frank__ said:
    GumpOtaku said:

~GO

That's a good question. Dart, Evil... If you are still here does C6 have these import options?MDD format is acquired by purchasing Fenric's MDD File Format for Carrara, but I'm not sure if it works on Carrara 6. I bought Carrara 6 Pro, the upgrade to Carrara 7 Pro, which gave me Carrara 8 Pro Beta, all on the same day. So I was actually using Carrara 8 before my Carrara 6 Pro disc ever arrived by mail (came in the Figures, Avatars, and Characters book)

My main intentions of buying Carrara was to have the ability to simply open and use content figures like M3 and 4, V3 and 4, etc., in a modeler/renderer/animation controller. I simply haven't the patience to go through all of the exporting and re-rigging involved. But Genesis is not just a man, woman, child, monster or beast... it's all of them. So I guess it might be worth the headache - especially if you're just doing stills.

Genesis uses a SubD Cage as part of its magic.
    At SubD level 1, I believe it is, Genesis has slightly more polygons than a figure like M4 or V4. But we can further increase the smoothing for much higher SubD levels. Genesis begins it's life in Carrara at smoothing level 2 on the render side, and 0 in the modeling view.

This is why I was one who has voted for them to add compatibility to Carrara. That, and I like to be able to save a lot of time and stress (mental) by simply downloading and applying, rather than exporting, importing, cussing, trying again, etc., and I wanted to be able to jump on the band wagon with the latest DAZ 3D figure technology in Carrara directly. DAZ Studio is getting better, but it still gives me a headache. Carrara rarely gives me a headache. It's more of a joy to work in.

Anyways, all of that babble was just one of the reasons why it was so much more valuable for me to simply jump headlong into Carrara 8.5 Pro. Genesis and Genesis 2 figures are not pain-free in Carrara 8.5 though. But it does work nicely once you get used to it. The Genesis HD technology will require an upgrade or update to Carrara before it will work. Using the morphs within Carrara might show some change, but it's not going to give us the actual HD. But for what it's worth, we can use Carrara 8.5 as it is to actually model HD Morphs for DAZ Studio users, as long as you get the required plugin for doing so from DAZ. I have it, but have not used it yet.

It is also worth mentioning that, for doing a lot of posing, shaping, and animating with Genesis and/or Genesis 2 in Carrara 8.5, it really is beneficial to purchase (only $5 USD) Fenric's Change Bone Visibility plugin. I cannot state enough how helpful this tool makes the whole process.

Also, I'm not the only one to have found it to be beneficial to use Genesis in Carrara 8.5 as a lo-res-like figure by turning the SubD Smoothing on the Render side to '0' as well. This just turns off the SubD smoothing making for very rapid rendering, while still having a nicely shaped and defined figure to use. But I still find the default level of 2 to render fairly quickly as well. But for large scenes with a lot of people, monsters, etc., in the background or in masses, where the added definition isn't necessary, turning SubD off or lower might make for a more efficient experience.

I'd still like to fire up Carrara 6 Pro some day just to check it out. It's hard to do that since 8+ has the 64 bit....

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited June 2014

I simply haven't the patience to go through all of the exporting and re-rigging involved. But Genesis is not just a man, woman, child, monster or beast... it's all of them. So I guess it might be worth the headache - especially if you're just doing stills.

For stills with already posed figures it's no headache: three clicks in Studio, three clicks in Carrara. Re-rigging is not needed. It's nothing compared to waiting for a render to complete :)

I have Carrara 6 to 8.5 but prefer to go the Export-/Import-Route for stills with Carrara 8, simply because I'm using dynamic clothing, the Perfect V4, G2M for males and Genesis for Monsters. (Does Geo-crafting already work in C 8.5? What about the smoothing modifier, anything equal in C 8.5? Rhetoric questions ...)

It is also worth mentioning that, for doing a lot of posing, shaping, and animating with Genesis and/or Genesis 2 in Carrara 8.5, it really is beneficial to purchase (only $5 USD) Fenric's Change Bone Visibility plugin. I cannot state enough how helpful this tool makes the whole process.

Especially for the export-/import-route Fenric's shader-tools are very helpful; for working with figures in Carrara directly all of Fenric's plugins are essential.

Also, I'm not the only one to have found it to be beneficial to use Genesis in Carrara 8.5 as a lo-res-like figure by turning the SubD Smoothing on the Render side to '0' as well. This just turns off the SubD smoothing making for very rapid rendering, while still having a nicely shaped and defined figure to use. But I still find the default level of 2 to render fairly quickly as well. But for large scenes with a lot of people, monsters, etc., in the background or in masses, where the added definition isn't necessary, turning SubD off or lower might make for a more efficient experience.

One benefit for imported obj is, that these figures don't need so much RAM. And one can control this further by specifying the SubD-level before the export from Studio, but I didn't run into memory-problems for now.

And of course Dartanbeck is right: if someone goes for Animation, doing everything in Carrara is preferable, because even with all available plugins for Studio (which I have) it's a PITA.

(edit; i got the quotes mixed up and don't know how to fix it, sorry!)

Post edited by Frank__ on
    edited December 1969

Frank__ said:

(edit; i got the quotes mixed up and don't know how to fix it, sorry!)
    Not a problem ;)
    Yeah, if I were doing just stills, I can see how beneficial it might be to just use an obj version of Genesis that has already been posed. I'd imagine that you can even export a fully clothed Genesis with hair, etc., as a single OBJ, am I right? If so, the light weight of the object's file size, having no morphs, etc., could be a real blessing.