Do not install PostgreSQL

Akulla3DAkulla3D Posts: 131
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Since DAZ failed to let the Carrara users know I am posting this after some investigation. If, you install the PostgreSQL DB it will stop content installed after that time from showing up in your smart content tab in Carrara. If, you did you have to uninstall it and rerun the meta data on the Manager.

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I didn't realise that till you posted.. I then checked and sure enough items purchased after the install of postgreSQL didn't show..

Uninstalled and re-imported the meta data and now the products are showing..

Bad move by Daz in not informing it's customers of this problem with Carrara :coolmad:

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

It pays to read threads even if you think the subject doesn't look "familiar". Or if you think (like me) that it's about fancy some plug-in or add-on, doh?

I ignored the thread below where this was first brought up for a couple of weeks before finally reading it. I was lucky, I hadn't installed it, but probably would have!

So, especially if you are a regular here,(like Stezza ;) ) it's best to just glance at a thread's topic no matter what! If you only visit sometimes, ask away, it keeps everyone on their toes and reaches us stubborn ones!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41604/

:) SileneUK

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

So are you folks using the Smart Content tab in Carrara?
    I never use it so it never mattered which database gets used. But if you folks find it to be useful (perhaps some examples?) I might give it a try.

Perhaps because of my individual runtimes, and always having to find the correct texture folders within them, I've become very "knowing" of where all of my stuff is, so it seemed faster for me to just look things up the old Runtime Library way. But I was a bit reluctant to go the DIM route, and now I love it. Maybe it's time I started using Smart Content, perhaps? Thoughts?

• eyeseeeyesee Posts: 172
    edited June 2014

Smart Content can be a real time saver. Like you said it probably will not help with anything not downloaded with DIM as it will not have the metadata it needs to find it.

I got the basics from Cripeman's video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIcW0Zt22Ys&feature=player_detailpage (Thanks for the link Dartanbeck)

He only shows it working at the character model level, but it works for clothes, props, materials, basically anything downloaded with DIM, even Poser stuff as long as it's got the metadata to go with it.

All you have to do is select the ACTOR level in the scene and then only the things related to that product are displayed.
    So, for instance, you load a piece of clothing onto you model and now want the materials to go with it. Select the clothing at the actor level and only the materials, etc. related to it are displayed.
    It can appear like nothings happening, if there's a lot of related products it takes some time to update, and I'm assuming that the larger your library gets the longer it will take. But when there's not many related products, say the materials for some clothing, it's quite quick.

Also comes in handy when you have products that work on more than one generation of model but both thumbnails have the same title as only the ones that work with the model you've selected will be displayed (the Fayre outfit comes to mind as an example).

I'd give it a try Dartanbeck, I think you'll like it (For your DIM content anyway).

Eyesee (Jedi Tea Master - My cups empty! :ohh:)

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

As an update Dartanbeck,

You can add details of your non DIM content to the smart content database, but it involves using Studio as that's where the database editor is.

Found this video which explains it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-sdHEBNCB4

To summarise the video you

1. Find what you want to add to smart content in Studios "Content Library Tab "
    2. Select "Edit\Set Default Compatibility Bases"
    3. Then select what the item(s) is compatible with from your Smart Library

It can be done en masse if you have a lot of items in a folder

By the way, does anybody know what the advantages will be of using the new PostgreSQL content management are? Assuming it's fixed for Carrara. I can't find any details.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:

By the way, does anybody know what the advantages will be of using the new PostgreSQL content management are? Assuming it's fixed for Carrara. I can't find any details.

It's far more stable than Valentina, and much faster on 64-bit systems. The only drawback is Zone Alarm doesn't play nicely with it, and since they haven't fixed it since 2009 it doesn't look like they will.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the quick response fixmypcmike :-)

edited December 1969

One other disadvantage is that the PostgreSQL database files are larger than the Valentina ones, but it's still a pittance compared to the size of the content itself, so it hardly matters.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

But the real nail in it's coffin for Carrara users is that it is not supported by Carrara, so all the advantages to it at this time are nullified.

edited December 1969

But the real nail in it's coffin for Carrara users is that it is not supported by Carrara, so all the advantages to it at this time are nullified.

Yes, at this point it is not an option for Carrara users.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    As an update Dartanbeck,

You can add details of your non DIM content to the smart content database, but it involves using Studio as that's where the database editor is.

Found this video which explains it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-sdHEBNCB4

To summarise the video you

1. Find what you want to add to smart content in Studios "Content Library Tab "
    2. Select "Edit\Set Default Compatibility Bases"
    3. Then select what the item(s) is compatible with from your Smart Library

It can be done en masse if you have a lot of items in a folder

thx for this, might be next thing I do after reimporting my metadata after accidently letting postgre slip through this last studio install (have now removed it)
    edited December 1969

Your welcome Wendy. Glad someone found it useful.

Keep up the animations, LOVE those cats!!!

Eyesee ( Jedi Tea Master - The sun's shining in Manchester, what a PURRRRFECT day) :lol:

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Could that dratted PostgreSQL have found its way back onto my system somehow? There's no sign of it in DIM, but I'm back to the old content showing up in Studio but not in Carrara (and frankly, I'm hacked off with it) - NO G2F... NO G1F.. actually the only figure that shows up at all is David 5. All but 1 of my Stonemasons have disappeared, and tons more stuff doesn't show. They're all on my hard drive, cos Studio loads them quite happily.

As I say, PostgreSQL does NOT show up in my installed products list. Any ideas?