Why is the old Valentina CMS still reinstalling with DIM updates? Is it still needed with PostgreSQL

linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,382
edited June 2014 in Daz Studio Discussion

Even though I successfully uninstalled the old Valentina CMS from the windows control panel it seems to have been reinstalled again by the 1.1.0.21 DIM update.

- - -

When the last DS update was released around 20th of Mai 2014 I made sure to follow all the steps carefully to install the new DS version.
- install DS
- install postgreSQL
- install postgre SQL script to convert valentina CMS items to postgreSQL

After that I asumed that now it would be a good time to get once and for all time rid of the old valentina content management service.

- I used the windows control panel to uninstall the entry Content Management.

After that everything worked fine.
- All my smart content was there
- The CMS did not anymore show up in the task manager

Basically I was happy to have successfully converted all my metadata and finally wished good ridance to valentina.

But guess what after I now just installed the latests DS version on 17th of June 2014 that was sneaked unto the Dim without getting an extra release thread I noticed in the windows control panel:

On 4th of June 2014 the old CMS Content Management 4.8.1.7 was installed again!!!!!

I asume this must have happend when the DAZ Install Manager (DIM) 1.1.0.21 was installed and updated with the DIM also on 4th of June 2014.

- - -

Can I get more background information on this by DAZ staff?

1) Why is the old valentina CMS v4.8.1.7 reinstalled again by the DIM?

2) Was I not supposed to uninstall valentina CMS?

3a) Is Valentina CMS still used by the DIM and I now basically screwed up my DIM files?
3b) Or is valentina CMS still reinstalled as some precaution to make sure users do not accidentially delete all their smart content database backup until they successfully converted to PostgreSQL?

4a) How and when are you officially planning to remove the Valentina CMS from the users system?
4b) Will a next DS or DIM update just remove the old Valentina CMS files?

- - -

Update / Edit:

The reason why I care about this is because I invested countless hours into metadata management. I do not want to risk any database conflicts by having Valentina and PostrgreSQL installed at the same time if Valentina is NOT needed anymore.

@ Screenshots:

- You can see how the DIM and the CMS were installed on the same date.
- The Content Management Service folder is there again in programs as are all the old valentina database folders in /roaming

- PostgreSQL Server and ContentManagementServer running at the same time in the windows task manager!!!!!

- - -

PostgreSQL_Server_and_ContentManagementServer_running_at_the_same_time.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 268K
CMS_installed_again_v1001.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 138K
CMS_uninstallation_in_Control_Panel_v1001.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 185K
Post edited by linvanchene on

Comments

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,084
    edited December 1969

3a) Is Valentina CMS still used by the DIM and I now basically screwed up my DIM files?
    3b) Or is valentina CMS still reinstalled as some precaution to make sure users do not accidentially delete all their smart content database backup until they successfully converted to PostgreSQL?

4a) How and when are you officially planning to remove the Valentina CMS from the users system?

Carrara still uses the Valentina DB for access to genesis content. I expect that DIM will continue to install Valentina if it is not present until the dependency for Carrara is removed. My advice, such as it is, is to remove Valentina immediately after a DIM update.

In any case, both Studio and DIM will use Postgres if it is available and ignore the Valentina DB, so you should not see any issues with your existing Postgres database.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

DIM hasn't been updated since PostgreSQL CMS became available.

It's optional -- DS and DIM will use PostgreSQL if it is installed, whether Valentina CMS is running or not. Carrara still uses Valentina.

Valentina is only used if PostgreSQL is not installed, it is ignored otherwise, except by Carrara. They just haven't updated DIM yet to not install Valentina if it isn't necessary.

Certainly not before Carrara is updated to use PostgreSQL.

Not while Carrara needs it, although DIM may be updated to not automatically install Valentina.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,382
    edited December 1969

Thank you both for the quick replies.

Forgot completly that Carrara does not yet use PostgreSQL.

- - -

Does this mean users who want to use DS and Carrara at the same time should not update to PostgreSQL?

- - -

How does it work:

As soon as PostgreSQL is activated no more information is written into the Valentina CMS database. :question:

or

Information is written both in Valentina CMS and PostgreSQL databases?
    But DS is only reading from PostgreSQL?

edited December 1969

If PostgreSQL is installed DIM and DS will only add to the PostgreSQL database, so Carrara users should not install it.

• I'm having a smartpane issue, which made me notice that I have two Postgre CMS From Valentina CMS Conversion programs—one is labeled Public Build Beta. Should I have both installed? I'm a new DAZ user and I don't use Carrara, so I wouldn't think so.

You don't need both, but that's just the import from the old Valentina database, so you can ignore them.  The PostgreSQL CMS itself will uninstall any other versions if you install it, so make sure the one you have installed is 64-bit if you might have installed 32-bit afterwards.

• Fixmypcmike, thanks!