Materials Editor has stopped responding in Win 10 Pro

It won't load from the edit menu, ctrl-m, or the button next to the object. I tried rebooting and loading a simple sphere in an otherwise empty default scene and it just doesn't do anything or present an error message. I also tried run as administrator. I haven't done much with bryce recently so not sure the last time it worked all the time but when first loaded it last week the material editor was working and then bryce crashed and it never came back fully functional.

• Win10 Pro
  • 32 GB RAM
  • i7-5820k
  • EVGA 1070(doubt this matters)

Comments

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited August 2020

What version (build) of Win10, by the way? You may run "winver" tool from system's search panel.

Post edited by akmerlow on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

Without Bryce running, navigate to where the Bryce Application is on your computer. In that folder you will find a 'Bryce Prefs' file and possibly a 'Bryce Persis' file. Delete both of those then start up Bryce, this will re-set it to it's default state and usually fixes any problems with it not responding to commands.

Just to let you know, it's default state will not affect any of your libraries, so any objects and materials you had, will still be there.

Hope this helps.

• Without Bryce running, navigate to where the Bryce Application is on your computer. In that folder you will find a 'Bryce Prefs' file and possibly a 'Bryce Persis' file. Delete both of those then start up Bryce, this will re-set it to it's default state and usually fixes any problems with it not responding to commands.

Just to let you know, it's default state will not affect any of your libraries, so any objects and materials you had, will still be there.

Hope this helps.

My goodness, this worked like a charm!  Thank you for your savagely quick and simple solution.

• akmerlow said:

What version (build) of Win10, by the way? You may run "winver" tool from system's search panel.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

Good to know it fixed your problem.

Savage by name - Helpful by nature. laugh

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Thanks for confirmation & info on fix (i feared that it could be one of cases when new win10 updates mess with other apps, but thankfully looks like it totally isn't that case).