Rotating and Ascending Deuplicate

Hello, I want to know how  to finish the duplicates of steps like this link did (I try to duplicate and paste but it is still in the same position)?

https://learning.oreilly.com/videos/learning-carrara-8-5/9781771371605/9781771371605-video188091

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited August 2020

Yes, the first time you duplicate, the new instance is in the same location as the original.  Select and translate the new instance using the arrows, or you can enter numbers of specific measurement in upper right 'movment' tab.  If you duplicate a second time, the next instance (3rd) will be placed the same distance and direction from the previous instance (2nd) that that instance (2nd) was from the one prior to it (1st).  You can then repeat duplication to get a whole row.

After a selecting a scene element, you can duplicate by using (Edit : Duplicate) from the top menu, or by using the keyboard shortcut ( Control-D on Windows or Command-D on a Mac).

- I started a new scene.  Inserted a sphere.  I clicked on the sphere to select it, which is confirmed by seeing the word 'sphere' highlighted in yellow in lower right box.

- From the top menu, I used EDIT : DUPLICATE, and a second sphere instance was created, but in same location as the first.

- With the second sphere selected, I used the arrow keys and translated the sphere a little to the right.

- I then repeated (EDIT : DUPLICATE) and a third spehere appears slightly to the right of the 2nd, because the second was slightly to the right of the 1st.

EDIT - the arrows appear inside the interface around the selected object.  I don't mean the arrow keys on my keyboard.

gg01 select sphere and duplicate.jpg
    1866 x 961 - 278K
    gg02 use arrows to move.jpg
    1715 x 947 - 218K
    gg03 repeat the duplicates.jpg
    1812 x 907 - 257K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

...and Undo will clear the duplication translate/rotate/scale memory. So if you want to perform another duplication, but want it to be in the same place as the one being duplicated (say, to start a fresh sequence of duplication translate/rotate/scale, for example), simply do one extra duplication and then Undo it. Now duplicate again and you'll start fresh.

Deselecting the item to be duplicated will also clear the cache, like switching to another selection, for example. 

Things to be aware of when tryign to save time and resources by duplicating for sure. So for some things, I'll start by duplicating, then rotating, translating (moving position along x, y, z) and scaling and run that in succesion a few times, then select those (or some of them) and start a fresh duplication spree. That's how I like to spread natural things, like trees, stones, small chunks of terrain... but many other things too - including (but not limited to, of course) space ship and other props I need to populate a scene with. A real time/resource saver!