Michael not showing

I tried to drag Michael Default to the plane but there is nothing to show. Is it because of my graphics drive? Or it is actually not a model?

screen.png
2444 x 1534 - 943K
notshown.png
2444 x 1534 - 997K

Comments

• Is it because of I didn't install something required? I'm interested whether I need to install SDK for example(I'm using Carrara 8.5 pro)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited August 2020

First of all can you open the basic Genesis figure ?

Your figure should be showing in the screen with a list of the body parts in the Instances Tab.

Also check your data to see if M5 is installed, as well as Genesis.

Genesis M5.png
    2269 x 1037 - 416K
    Data Genesis 1.png
    926 x 1015 - 62K
    Data M5 1.png
    935 x 1023 - 130K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited August 2020

hello,

I think you are dropping a material set onto the scene rather than the figure

Untitled-1.jpg
    1293 x 951 - 823K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited August 2020

Headwax is correct.  You are trying to load a material set, instead of a base figure.

There are several ways to load the base figure.  Above, Headwax is using the "Content" tab.  But since you are using Smart Content (as do I), below is an expanded view of the tab you previously opened.  Instead of clicking the top left box (which is a material preset), you should select a box near the bottom right (the Michael 5 figure).

Another way in Smart Content, you can load the base genesis male character from Smart Content>Genesis Starter Essentials>Genesis Base Male, and them apply Michael 5 morphs.

Michael 5.JPG
    1476 x 899 - 291K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • Bunyip02 said:

First of all can you open the basic Genesis figure ?

Your figure should be showing in the screen with a list of the body parts in the Instances Tab.

Also check your data to see if M5 is installed, as well as Genesis.

Even figure NOT shown, and i noticed that u said genesis must be installed to use M5?
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,119

_ yeah, install  _ Genesis Starter Essentials _

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    edited August 2020

Another thing to keep in mind with Carrara:

For loading human-sized, etc., objects, use a Medium Scene.

Large is So Large that you won't often see a figure when it gets loaded because it's so small compared to where the camera sits and how everything is scaled.

Small is a bit too small for my liking for things of that size.

On that note, if I do wish to load one of my characters into a large scene, I usually do this:

1. Open the Large (often terrain/atmosphere preset, etc.,) scene file
    2. Load in the figure
    3. Use Director's camera, select Camera 1 
    4. Type 0 (zero) to center the view on the camera
    5. Ctrl/Cmd > Select the figure
    6. Ctrl/Cmd > K (align) and select all axis on the little 3-arrow axis icon > Okay
    7. Deselect the camera (Shift > Select) and move the figure away from the camera in the same direction it's pointing, to make it visible in the camera (Switch between the cameras to check)

Then I'll often load in a small scenery prop of some sort to fit with the figure in this foreground that we're setting up by the camera. Use the same Align process to get the prop or props, etc., to the camera and move into position from there.

Hope this gives you some more inspiration for using your figures and scenes in Carrara. I know it takes a bit to get used to (Carrara), but it's so worth it once you get the swing of things! You'll get it soon. I can tell by your questions. I ran through all of this stuff myself when I first jumped on board. Really soon the stuff you didn't know becomes second-nature and you'll be having a Lot of Fun! More questions will arise - and we'll always be here to help!

If you have a few minutes, check out this Character Design video. It might sound (by title) like it's about using shaping morphs, but it doesn't even go there. It's about the other stuff: Using Carrara to load and set up your character and then save it in a way that you can use it over and over again.

Something I haven't mentioned in the video is that, I use this same method to make Generic base figures which I can load and turn into someone else. Huge time saver!

www.dartanbeck.com > Character Design 01

EDIT: You'll also see me use the Align function in the video, and see what I mean about the 3-arrow axis icon thingy. 

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    ed3D said:

Genesis - https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-starter-essentials

• Bunyip02 said:
    ed3D said:

Now I can load Michael but failed to load Genesis starter essential, it says Carrara cannot load it

edited August 2020
    Bunyip02 said:
    ed3D said:

Now I can load Michael but failed to load Genesis starter essential, it says Carrara cannot load it

Are you using DAZ Install Manager to install your DAZ items ?

If you can load M5 you should be able to load Genesis as well. Look in your Browser-My DAZ 3D Library-People-Genesis

Genesis 1.png
    2837 x 1046 - 470K
  • xiesongshenxiesongshen Posts: 12
    edited August 2020
    Bunyip02 said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    ed3D said:

Are you using DAZ Install Manager to install your DAZ items ?

If you can load M5 you should be able to load Genesis as well. Look in your Browser-My DAZ 3D Library-People-Genesis

Yes I installed it through DIM, that's the strange point here, It just say Carrara can't open it

Post edited by xiesongshen on

If it's installed through DIM, and M5 is loading, then Genesis should be loading as well. Will have a play and see if it could be anything else.

Can you post a screenshot showing the error ?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

are you clicking the Poser companion file by mistake?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    edited August 2020
    Bunyip02 said:
    ed3D said:

Genesis Starter Essentials isn't something that opens (or even shows up in the library to open), but is rather a collection of 'essentials' that Daz 3D gives for free to give users something to play with without any further purchases - so when you get Daz Studio for free, for example, you get Genesis, Genesis 2 (M&F), Genesis 3 (M&F) and Genesis 8 (M&F) Starter Essentials for free. 

So to load Genesis Starter Essentials, load in:

• Genesis - found under My Daz 3D Library > People > Genesis
    • Basic Wear - found under My Daz 3D Library > People > Genesis > Clothing
    • Hair (of some sort) - found under My Daz 3D Library > People > Genesis > Hair
    • Then apply a pose - found under My Daz 3D Library > People > Genesis > Poses

Genesis Starter Essentials comes with at least what I've mentioned above. I cannot remember the hair that comes with it. Buying Carrara 8.5 (Std or Pro) also adds a pile of goodies for Genesis. 

Check out the Genesis collection that comes with Carrara 8.5 Pro here: Carrara 8.5 Pro Included Content 

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • xiesongshenxiesongshen Posts: 12
    edited August 2020
    Bunyip02 said:
    ed3D said:

Genesis Starter Essentials isn't something that opens (or even shows up in the library to open), but is rather a collection of 'essentials' that Daz 3D gives for free to give users something to play with without any further purchases - so when you get Daz Studio for free, for example, you get Genesis, Genesis 2 (M&F), Genesis 3 (M&F) and Genesis 8 (M&F) Starter Essentials for free. 

Genesis Starter Essentials comes with at least what I've mentioned above. I cannot remember the hair that comes with it. Buying Carrara 8.5 (Std or Pro) also adds a pile of goodies for Genesis. 

Check out the Genesis collection that comes with Carrara 8.5 Pro here: Carrara 8.5 Pro Included Content 

When I try to drag the Boxing into Michael, nothing is changed

Maybe I should learn more about how to use these models LOL!

BLLGFD1Y_6E}CDH6Y1]OTSA.png
    2446 x 1536 - 1M
    Post edited by xiesongshen on
  • What is this error?

QQ截图20200823105806.png
    2242 x 1536 - 711K
    edited August 2020

on the first one, some of those poses for genesis 1 never worked in Carrara and I used the Poser runtime equivalents instead as most of them had Poser companion files, the cr2's were incompatible but the pz2's worked.

try using the ordinary content tab, smart content sometimes shows stuff in a dumb way depending on whether content management service is running or not, DAZ studio often needs to be installed and populated with CMS to kick it into action too, this might solve everything if you haven't installed and run DAZ studio and run the metadata.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • on the first one, some of those poses for genesis 1 never worked in Carrara and I used the Poser runtime equivalents instead as most of them had Poser companion files, the cr2's were incompatible but the pz2's worked.

try using the ordinary content tab, smart content sometimes shows stuff in a dumb way depending on whether content management service is running or not, DAZ studio often needs to be installed and populated with CMS to kick it into action too, this might solve everything if you haven't installed and run DAZ studio and run the metadata.

My ordinary content tab shows nothing (just empty), but I'm sure I installed those Genesis. Is it because of the installation path?

edited August 2020

you need to add your content to the browser 

I am not on my computer but look at the sticky in this forum Dartanbeck wrote

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15970/carrara-information-manual#latest

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited August 2020
    Bunyip02 said:
    ed3D said:

When I try to drag the Boxing into Michael, nothing is changed

Maybe I should learn more about how to use these models LOL!

Hopefully, this is not complex.  Everything looks like it is loaded properly to me.  You just need to learn how to use Carrara correctly.

To get the boxing pose applied to M5, you first have to open the Michael 5 tab in the instances tray.  Click on the little triangle next to Michael 5.  A drop down menu will open to reveal Genesis, actor, hip, etc.  Select "Genesis."  Now double click on the boxing pose, and it will apply to the figure.

Michael 5 apply pose.JPG
    1249 x 616 - 139K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

What is this error?

Not sure.  I only get that error when I try to load Genesis 3 or 8 (and shortly afterwards Carrara crashes).  I also pretty much never load characters from the "Categories" tab in Smart Content.  I always use "Products."  However, I tried to load Dragon Slayer as you did (from Categories), and it worked fine.

edited August 2020

I also use the normal content rather than the Smart Content tab, especially as with my set up the Smart Content does not work very well.

To set up the Browser,

1. Click on the Content Tab

2. Hover on the little folder icon until the options come up

3. Add Folder, find your My DAZ 3D Library folder and click on it. Repeat the process adding your DAZ 3D Runtime folder, as well as your Poser Runtime folder if you have Poser. I also added a few other libraries where items were squirreled away.

Add Folders 1.png
    3840 x 1080 - 921K