Import Illustrator to Spline

ricmortonricmorton Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have an outline logo in Illustrator.
I did a Save As and selected Illustrator 8 as the format.
When I go to import the file into a spline modeler, the file is
grayed out. I change the choice to the ALL formats and the illustrator
files show up but after selecting it nothing shows up in the modeler.
It's just not coming in. What am I not doing?

Comments

• Michael CMichael C Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

I've imported ai files into the spline modeler regularly for years. They always show up in the import dialog. Occasionally they do not import correctly, but it's usually because I've exported them incorrectly. I create them in CorelDraw, not Illustrator, but that shouldn't be an issue. What is the actual extent for you file? The dialog shows ai, ai3, and eps. Are you importing from within the spline modeler?

• ricmortonricmorton Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes. I'm importing from the spline window. I've done this many times in the past, but just got the new 8.5.
    I have a file in Illustrator in outlines. I SaveAs and select Illustrator 8 version, which is what I was always told.
    In the open dialog, even tho they have peps or .a1 extensions, they are grayed out unless I switch to Show All Files.
    Biut then when I select one, nothing happens in the modeler.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ricmorton said:
    I have a file in Illustrator in outlines. I SaveAs and select Illustrator 8 version, which is what I was always told.

I think you need to save as PRE-illustrator8.... whatever you were told.
  • JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited June 2014

I always export them as Illustrator 88. It seems weird to use a format that is a 26 year old format, but it seems to work every time. You may also want to save it as an .EPS =)

Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • ricmortonricmorton Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thanks. I've tried Illust 8, but I'll try .eps.

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited June 2014

not illustrator 8, it's the first version of Illustrator, illustrator 88 (as in 1988). I'm an old man =)

Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

joeping said:
    not illustrator 8, it's the first version of Illustrator, illustrator 88 (as in 1988). I'm an old man =)

The older AI formats become available under the SAVE AS... EPS menu. I *think* it is the one called Illustrator 3 - I just tested and it works importing into Carrara... Other formats may work, idk, but the top (most current) one does not work...
    Screen_Shot_2014-06-26_at_2.46_.52_PM_.png
    209 x 235 - 32K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited June 2014

I have 8.5 Pro and I just did an Illy 8 import myself this evening after having not done it for a while.

You are choosing Insert Spline Object in the Assembly Room, then that opens the Modelling Room and you can then Import as the choice for the Illy files will show up then.

:) Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

illustrator 3 ai works for me