Ordinary Cars

A short time ago, I needed a nondescript black sedan for a render, but as I trawled the store I found some sports cars, a few vintage roadsters, and the occasional truck, but most of all I found a shocking paucity of average cars to fill a road with. After discounting Polish's Upper Class Vehicle  bundle (which is too flashy and thus too descript for my needs), these were the only two I found that worked:

https://www.daz3d.com/2001-eu-sports-coupe

https://www.daz3d.com/2003-jp-sport-convertible

SKU 1079 and SKU 1464. Hoo boy. I had to use a crazy amount of depth of field to disguise the fact they were 10-15 years old.

Where are all the cars that ordinary people drive? You can't move one page through the store without tripping over archviz, but the rendered roadways are looking pretty empty. Are they hiding inside other products, like https://www.daz3d.com/px-auto-showroom-set, which comes with a sports car but is classified as an environment? Or is this a trademark issue, where Daz fears a lawsuit from the auto manufacturers and rejects the products when they're submitted?

Anybody have any good ordinary, everyday car models they want to recommend?

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

The selection for ordinary european and japanese cars is quite slim, I have seen a VW Beetle and a 2CV, but that's about it.

You can find ones in OBJ format here;

https://hum3d.com/3d-models/vehicles/

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    PerttiA said:

The selection for ordinary european and japanese cars is quite slim, I have seen a VW Beetle and a 2CV, but that's about it.

Oh, I know I can get them from outside sites. I was mainly referring to here in the Daz studio store, with proper Daz rigging and Iray materials and all that.

Plus I don't think Daz allows links to third-party sites on the forums anyway.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

VanishingPoint over at Renderosity has a bunch of middle-class American cars for DS.  Check Transportation>Land when you get to his store.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,693
    margrave said:
    PerttiA said:

Oh, I know I can get them from outside sites. I was mainly referring to here in the Daz studio store, with proper Daz rigging and Iray materials and all that.

Plus I don't think Daz allows links to third-party sites on the forums anyway.

They allow off-site links if it's in response to a specific request - just no unsolicited ones.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

They allow off-site links if it's in response to a specific request - just no unsolicited ones.

I see. I guess that stickied post in the Commercial Products subforum is outdated, then? Good to know.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,693
    margrave said:

I see. I guess that stickied post in the Commercial Products subforum is outdated, then? Good to know.

No - that one's about Daz PAs who used to be able to promote their own off-site products, but no longer. So you still can't link to another store/product off your own initiative, but if someone's looking for something, it's ok to help them by linking to it.

• wintoonswintoons Posts: 371

It would be nice if there was more variety of cars (especially ordinary cars) on Daz3d, but you can go on Renderosity. They have got a good range of cars there. Some are Daz Studio,
    others are Poser, but you can add them into DazStudio. 

• inception8inception8 Posts: 280

Well darn I started a post that looks like it's very similar to this. Apparently I wasn't paying attention.

The problem with some of the vehicles available is that there aren't enough of them or they're kind of meh sadly and the good ones are too articulated.

I know I was looking for stand in vehicles and couldn't find any or I couldn't find enough of any that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Not to say that the arm and the leg wouldn't be worth it for 3/4's of them but it's finding the sweet spot not too low poly and absolutely not high poly.

Turbosquid has a number of packs of vehicles but prices range from maybe $84 to $559. Expensive. And I have absolutely no idea what it would be like to buy from them. It is something that a hole could be filled for Daz Studio for sure that soemone is probably missing out on.

I was contemplating this as something to do in the scifi genre. It was already in my to do list.

Well darn I started a post that looks like it's very similar to this. Apparently I wasn't paying attention.

The problem with some of the vehicles available is that there aren't enough of them or they're kind of meh sadly and the good ones are too articulated.

I know I was looking for stand in vehicles and couldn't find any or I couldn't find enough of any that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Not to say that the arm and the leg wouldn't be worth it for 3/4's of them but it's finding the sweet spot not too low poly and absolutely not high poly.

Turbosquid has a number of packs of vehicles but prices range from maybe $84 to $559. Expensive. And I have absolutely no idea what it would be like to buy from them. It is something that a hole could be filled for Daz Studio for sure that soemone is probably missing out on.

I was contemplating this as something to do in the scifi genre. It was already in my to do list.

I've bought a couple of cars off Turbosquid and also Hum3d. Hum3d are awesome but they are expensive and they have a high poly count too. Which can be a real challenge for animating. 
    I bought a BMW M5 model off them and the geometry size nearly 150mb in size! Alone! And my machine is old and I have an old intel i7 2600K processor. 

• inception8inception8 Posts: 280
    wintoons said:

And my machine is old and I have an old intel i7 2600K processor.

This is precisely WHY there needs to be content that isn't designed specifically for Lamborghinis, Porsches, and Audi computer systems. Perhaps there's a misconception that there is more of those out there I don't know.

Those high poly count vehicles aren't much good for more than just single frame images. If you were doing an animation of just the car maybe but then you ALSO wouldn't need much or any of the interior. You would have at least two vehicles one that's just a shell and the other for opening the doors and getting inside.

You could fill a scene with low poly objects and good texture maps to give the impression of from a distance. This space is very much empty in the Daz universe of 'useful things'.

wintoons said:

This is precisely WHY there needs to be content that isn't designed specifically for Lamborghinis, Porsches, and Audi computer systems. Perhaps there's a misconception that there is more of those out there I don't know.

Those high poly count vehicles aren't much good for more than just single frame images. If you were doing an animation of just the car maybe but then you ALSO wouldn't need much or any of the interior. You would have at least two vehicles one that's just a shell and the other for opening the doors and getting inside.

You could fill a scene with low poly objects and good texture maps to give the impression of from a distance. This space is very much empty in the Daz universe of 'useful things'.

Yeah that's pretty much what I do now to save memory and performance. 

• Here is a useful ordinary little car: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/fiat-126/69312

It's a Poser model but takes to DS and iRay quite well. Usefully it's right hand drive and has UK number plates. Well, useful if you're from the UK. Could be scaled by -100% to get LHD, and a different number put on the plate. Used it here: