how big is daz

cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
edited December 1969 in The Commons

what interests me for a long time is, how big is the daz company? means is it a large company or a small one or middle? Have no Idea.

Comments

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

Contrary to public opinion, it's actually a relatively small company. I got the chance to visit the DAZ HQ a while back, and it was just couple floors, with maybe a handful of offices and a few meeting rooms.

If you mean # of employees, I dunno, but it's not many. The Old Site (tm) used to have a list of the full DAZ roster, which wasn't near as big as you'd expect.

There are far, far more PA's brokering through DAZ than there are people who actually work there.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

Valandar said:
    Contrary to public opinion, it's actually a relatively small company. I got the chance to visit the DAZ HQ a while back, and it was just couple floors, with maybe a handful of offices and a few meeting rooms.

If you mean # of employees, I dunno, but it's not many. The Old Site (tm) used to have a list of the full DAZ roster, which wasn't near as big as you'd expect.

There are far, far more PA's brokering through DAZ than there are people who actually work there.

ah okay, small but fine :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:
    Valandar said:

ah okay, small but fine :)Yup! Yup! As they say good things come in small packages. :cheese:

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,064
    edited July 2012

Last time I checked the site is ranked 9000 something in the world and gets the most views and makes the most money compared to the other poser/daz content sites. So in those terms it is quite big:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

And shrinking daily.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Yup! Yup! As they say good things come in small packages. :cheese:

and posion :)
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

but, didn't they get bought by a corporation? i used to think Daz was a sweet mom and pop shop in Utah, then they started posting about avatars across something or other.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited December 1969

I'm curious about this too. Also, is the organizational structure/chain of command publicly viewable? No axe to grind...just wondering how it all fits together.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

at the speed of changes and things that happen around here. we can see it's not big at all.
    but 'm pretty sure they do all the changes and improvements at the speed that's possible for the team.
    these days people expect more and more, it's not only aboutt just content anymore and do just some still renders.
    it evoluate more and more in the direction about how can i play with my content like do animation (movies, create animation for my games)
    to bad we want all the things see happen now and not tomorrow :cheese:
    patience can be a nice reward, not? :coolsmile:

• blondie9999blondie9999 Posts: 771
    edited December 1969

DAZ is not just "small." As companies go, it's minuscule. But then, so is this market.

edited December 1969

Because of its prominence within its market, and because the design and marketing are very high-quality, many of us probably imagine DAZ 3D to be bigger than it really is. Also, I guess a lot of the work (product creation, and also things like forum moderation) is done in essence by subcontractors and volunteers.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Forum moderators are volunteers, on every site that I know of, including Daz3D.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Minute/Micro 1-6 employees
    Small 10 to 250
    Medium 260 to 500
    Large 550 to -1000
    Enterprise above -1000

so DAZ is small company based on the employees
    freelance published artists are not a part of the company

:) Cath

edited July 2012

chohole said:
    Forum moderators are volunteers, on every site that I know of, including Daz3D.

I'm not active on other 3D forums, so I can't compare apples to apples. I guess I'm just saying that you guys make DAZ look good. :)

Edited to add: it's like Wikipedia...if you didn't know that volunteers created all the articles, you'd think the organization must be enormous.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,111
    edited December 1969

The company I used to work for continuously floated around 470 to 490+ in the Forbes largest privately owned companies. The complete IS staff was around 45, split between technical (Windows server, SAP/R3, Oracle, and Unix support) and Business support.

My guess is that the total payroll head count for DAZ is between 35 and 50 - and I'm fairly certain it's on the lower range of that scale.

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    Small 10 to 250
    Medium 260 to 500
    Large 550 to -1000
    Enterprise above -1000

As a DAZ 3D Employee, I can say we are a Small size based on this info. We certainly have a lot of people who work as volunteers in the Community, like has been said. Many are Moderators, Community Volunteers or CV's and others help with some testing.

Many people see us as a medium to large company but it's just not the case.

edited December 1969

If people see you as a larger company than you are, that's probably a sign that you guys are doing a great job. Of course, the downside is that if people see you as a big company, they are less likely to be forgiving when things go wrong...

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,908
    edited December 1969

Ain't that the truth. Thinking they have this huge company leads you to believe that they have a big web team when in reality its only a handful trying to get everything fix as quick as possible. They are probably really pulling there hair out with Adam Sandler sweeping it up like in Don't mess with the Zohan.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,111
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    Small 10 to 250
    Medium 260 to 500
    Large 550 to -1000
    Enterprise above -1000

As a DAZ 3D Employee, I can say we are a Small size based on this info. We certainly have a lot of people who work as volunteers in the Community, like has been said. Many are Moderators, Community Volunteers or CV's and others help with some testing.

I'm impressed! There are more of you franticly bailing in the background than I had thought. :-)

It also appears that Magento is just like other major enterprise-ready packages -- trying to get a grip on it is like trying to get a solid grip on room-temperature Jello. Respects to the web team for what they've managed to figure out so far.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

I assume volunteers does not have any contract or are paid ? does it don't count
    Published artists don't have work contracts ether so are not employed by the company .
    The number is based on the Daz employees and if they make wins of more that 7.000.000 per year for the company then it would be under medium
    But it really not matter for me , I remember time when Daz had couple of employees and still did a lot of work

Mec4D said:
    Small 10 to 250
    Medium 260 to 500
    Large 550 to -1000
    Enterprise above -1000

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

but, didn't they get bought by a corporation? i used to think Daz was a sweet mom and pop shop in Utah, then they started posting about avatars across something or other.

It was a merge ... Daz and Gizmoz
    http://www.vizworld.com/2009/12/daz-3d-gizmoz-merge/

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Bets on which department has the most employes, marketing or developing?

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2012

Always more people in marketing...I know what that is like.

--But even with that said the marketers wish they had more people ;)

Post edited by larsmidnatt on