Silver lining?

wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Anyone know what the parameter "Silver Lining" does in the volumetric cloud? I've seen this setting in other cloud systems too, I don't know what it is suppose to do (and it's such a generic phrase I have never been able to narrow it down using Google).

I keep doing test renders but I see no difference whatsoever.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I have always assumed it to be a highlight falloff for light coming in from behind it, which works along with (or against) the Opacity setting.

• fabafaba Posts: 53
    edited December 1969

I've made a screenshot to illustrate the effect

silverlining.JPG
    651 x 531 - 40K
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ahh yes and the manual says similar...

Shame on me: RTFM! :-/

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Having a high value is also beneficial when using the clouds as a mist with light shining through it. If I had the shadow quality of the clouds set higher, I think I could have had better definition of the tree's shadows in the cloud creating a sunbeam or light cone type effect.

Zed_with_raider-final.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Shame on me: RTFM! :-/
    No! It's good to get the question out here for all to see the answer, right? Right! ;)
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited December 1969

Also, seems to work only with Realistic Sky turned on? I see no difference between 0 and 100 with just a background or backdrop.

edited December 1969

What I want to know, is how the Animate button functions. Is it on by default? Do I press it and then advance in the time line and press it again? I've tried adjusting the parameters over time and I tend to get instant switches from one state to the next, whether or not I do anything with the button. To animate the clouds, I just add a very slow rotation rather than try and animate the parameters.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Also, seems to work only with Realistic Sky turned on? I see no difference between 0 and 100 with just a background or backdrop.

Yes, that seems to have been my issue. Without realistic sky it seems to have no effect...

Also, I can't turn off the RS ground layer anymore?

edited June 2014

evilproducer - I recall trying this a while back...I think you need to use large numbers. I just tried a quick 2 second test - I entered 500 in the Animation box at the 2 second mark and it created a keyframe. The cloud seemed to change shape pretty smoothly. You might have to fuss with the numbers to get what you like.

phase.jpg
    504 x 447 - 30K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited December 1969

What I want to know, is how the Animate button functions. Is it on by default? Do I press it and then advance in the time line and press it again? I've tried adjusting the parameters over time and I tend to get instant switches from one state to the next, whether or not I do anything with the button. To animate the clouds, I just add a very slow rotation rather than try and animate the parameters.
    Not sure about C7, but in 8+, we have an Animate 'field', not a button.
    I believe, though I couldn't find anything on this in the manual, that it works like the Animate Field for RSE clouds, where you enter a number in seconds:milliseconds to put the volumetric shape in motion. There are likely ways to play with the number to increase movement within the animated time frame, like the Ocean, but which way - does what... I do not know.
    VCloud_Anim.jpg
    572 x 687 - 187K
    edited December 1969

Yes, that seems to have been my issue. Without realistic sky it seems to have no effect...

Also, I can't turn off the RS ground layer anymore?I can disable ground, but there is always a default 'underside' tint. This image illustrates the difference.

RS_NoGrnd.jpg
    1679 x 870 - 603K
    edited June 2014

But with Ground enabled, the color will appear above anything that you drop below the ground level of the scene.

EDIT:
    I used the scene above as my example, because it takes some practice with the RSE to get the horizon line from sharply illustrating where ground level is, along the horizon. This Mountain scene comes set up with a soft fade at the horizon, making a good example starting point.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Not sure about C7, but in 8+, we have an Animate 'field', not a button.
    I believe, though I couldn't find anything on this in the manual, that it works like the Animate Field for RSE clouds, where you enter a number in seconds:milliseconds to put the volumetric shape in motion. There are likely ways to play with the number to increase movement within the animated time frame, like the Ocean, but which way - does what... I do not know.

You're right Dart. It is the same way in C7. It's been awhile since I even tried it because it didn't seem to work.

@DesertDude, what parameters did you adjust along with entering the number? Did you just press Shuffle later in the timeline, or did you adjust other stuff?

edited December 1969

evilproducer- no other adjustments to any parameters. I only entered a value of 500 at 2 seconds. My first test I entered 100,000 and it flickered like mad (...was trying to remember from the past...) - then quickly progressively down...only tested at 320x240 to speed things up but it looked smooth. I can test later at a better resolution, but way past my bedtime here...

Just thinking throughout the day about this, maybe the Animate field is "real time"? For example, under "normal" weather conditions, if you looked at a cloud for 4 or 10 (...or 30) seconds...how much would it change?

edited December 1969

@DesertDude, what parameters did you adjust along with entering the number? Did you just press Shuffle later in the timeline, or did you adjust other stuff?

Shuffle is never animated. eg. go to the 5 second mark on the timeline and click Shuffle. No matter what the shuffle is attached to, or how many times it's pressed, the shuffling change occurs universally at point zero in time.
    edited December 1969

Shuffle is never animated. eg. go to the 5 second mark on the timeline and click Shuffle. No matter what the shuffle is attached to, or how many times it's pressed, the shuffling change occurs universally at point zero in time.

Not entirely sure about that. I tried the entering 500 in the field mentioned above at the start of the time line and hit shuffle, then moved to the end of the timeline and hit shuffle again, and the cloud flickered and changed every frame.

edited December 1969

evilproducer- no other adjustments to any parameters. I only entered a value of 500 at 2 seconds. My first test I entered 100,000 and it flickered like mad (...was trying to remember from the past...) - then quickly progressively down...only tested at 320x240 to speed things up but it looked smooth. I can test later at a better resolution, but way past my bedtime here...

Just thinking throughout the day about this, maybe the Animate field is "real time"? For example, under "normal" weather conditions, if you looked at a cloud for 4 or 10 (...or 30) seconds...how much would it change?

I entered 500 at the end of my time-line before I saw this last post and then changed some parameters and it animated those smoothly as well. I adjust sharpness, density and a couple others.

edited December 1969

I entered 500 at the end of my time-line before I saw this last post and then changed some parameters and it animated those smoothly as well. I adjust sharpness, density and a couple others.

Cool, so you got it to work?

I just did some more quick tests because I remembered a problem I encountered in the past - animating Density using Big Cumulus causes the cloud shape to flicker wildly. Tested in C7 and C8.1.1 (Mac). Cumulus 1 and Cumulus 2 animate smoothly. And Basic Shape as well (though I only tested the Box shape).

edited December 1969

I just did some more quick tests because I remembered a problem I encountered in the past - animating Density using Big Cumulus causes the cloud shape to flicker wildly. Tested in C7 and C8.1.1 (Mac). Cumulus 1 and Cumulus 2 animate smoothly. And Basic Shape as well (though I only tested the Box shape).

Sorry. Yes, just entering 500 at the end of the time line was enough to change the cloud. I also tried 100 and over a 4 second animation it was subtle and look natural.

edited December 1969

I just did some more quick tests because I remembered a problem I encountered in the past - animating Density using Big Cumulus causes the cloud shape to flicker wildly. Tested in C7 and C8.1.1 (Mac). Cumulus 1 and Cumulus 2 animate smoothly. And Basic Shape as well (though I only tested the Box shape).I don't get an Animate field in Basic Shape. You must have been animating along the time line?

edited December 1969

Dartanbeck - Sorry for any confusion, I meant to refer to the Density slider (for Basic Shape)...yes you are correct, no Animate field in both C7 and C8.1.1 for Basic Shape.

(I didn't even notice...lol)