More colors would be nice [solved]

Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,248
edited August 2020 in Product Suggestions

Not a new product so much as something that would nice inside D/S, a new colour palette with more colour options. {for Surfaces}

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

If you go to WINDOWS - STYLE - CUSTOMIZE STYLE. You can create any color you want for ant part of the UI

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,248
    edited August 2020

I mean for the surfaces, that color area that often includes a texture image - to be applied on the model. It's a fixed palette of colours. Some programs have more variety using a palette that includes the colour wheel for choosing shades.

{I have color-picker which is great and one way to get other colors}.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,855

I mean for the surfaces, that color area that often includes a texture image - to be applied on the model. It's a fixed palette of colours. Some programs have more variety using a palette that includes the colour wheel for choosing shades.

{I have color-picker which is great and one way to get other colors}.

Why do you say it is a fixed pallete? You can enter any numeric value 0-255 for R,G, and B. I guess that is "fixed", but you don't have to choose from those little color swatches.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

if you hold shift or control opening it (I forget which)

you get the alternate Windows pallet displays Mac users even get crayons!

edited August 2020

??? I must have been too tired, apologies. I just combed through the program and cannot find the limited set palette that was irking. The color palettes for the surfaces and dials all appear today to have the many shade options.

eta: The type of color option box I was looking at the other night only had the colors in the square boxes appearing, no multiple shades to select a color with the eyedropper, no number boxes, no options. Sometimes things go quirky ...

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

What you're asking for (I believe) is a new Color Picker. This topic has been discussed on and off for the last 8-10 years and in fact, I was one of the first to put in a feature request for it, so I can tell you exactly what the situation is. DAZ bought the current Color Picker as an add-on item for the software, and they don't feel it's such a big issue that they have to buy another one. There!

There are a couple of things you can do with the current one which you may not be aware of. In the lower field (Custom Colors), you can use Add To Custom Colors. You can also drag colors around from box to box. Nothing fancy, but hey....

Beyond that, in Surfaces, if you hold CTRL + Base Color, you get a Color Float palette with the RGB options, and if you hold SHIFT + drag the cursor from Base Color onto any color in the viewport, it will change Base Color. (Beware that it won't be the identical color. Something to do with the Gamma value)

To sum up, a lot of us would prefer more options, (like for example, another 30 or 40 color boxes to use), but it doesn't seem likely to happen.

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,817
    maclean said:

What you're asking for (I believe) is a new Color Picker. This topic has been discussed on and off for the last 8-10 years and in fact, I was one of the first to put in a feature request for it, so I can tell you exactly what the situation is. DAZ bought the current Color Picker as an add-on item for the software, and they don't feel it's such a big issue that they have to buy another one. There!

There are a couple of things you can do with the current one which you may not be aware of. In the lower field (Custom Colors), you can use Add To Custom Colors. You can also drag colors around from box to box. Nothing fancy, but hey....

Beyond that, in Surfaces, if you hold CTRL + Base Color, you get a Color Float palette with the RGB options, and if you hold SHIFT + drag the cursor from Base Color onto any color in the viewport, it will change Base Color. (Beware that it won't be the identical color. Something to do with the Gamma value)

To sum up, a lot of us would prefer more options, (like for example, another 30 or 40 color boxes to use), but it doesn't seem likely to happen.

I am too stupid, where do I use CTRL or Shift? xD can you make a screenshot at which place I have to be? :) ( or a tiny 5sec clip)

edited September 2020
    maclean said:

Okay thanks, I'll try that :-)

eta: that was interesting. Yes, I think I'd a new colour palette :-)

• Loony said:
    maclean said:
    .... edited ...

I am too stupid, where do I use CTRL or Shift? xD can you make a screenshot at which place I have to be? :) ( or a tiny 5sec clip)

No you are far from stupid. Inexperienced that's all ;-)

Hold down Ctrl key on the keyboard [Window commands] and click on the color on the Surface dial. A popup will appear.

Have a few items in the scene. Select the item you want to change, hold down the Shift key, click on the colour in the Surfaces and drag the curser over to the colour you want there from in the scene.

Mac commands are slightly different than Window commands.

" Surface dial"

what is the surface dial? xD I did try to click in the base color and then CTRL click on a item, but that didnt changed anything, then I did open the base color, with the color selection thing and did try then, but just got the windows error sound, because I can not interact with daz3d Main scene, when that popup is open :/

Thats why I ask for a screenshot where I have to go^^....

edited September 2020

Dial, channel, whatever, you're in the right place. On the Surfaces Panel/pane/tab ...

First click CTRL, then click on the colour on the Surface Tab.

1. CTRL

2. click on that long color patch on the surface panel.

Dial.png
    1130 x 634 - 487K

Ah great, weird I think I did try that O_o, I just call it Surface tab :D

But well I expected I can do it like in Gimp or Photoshop CTRL click and then pick a color from my scene or did I missunderstand that?

By CTRL click get I this :

But... how does that help me more as the normal color selection? :D And with shift I can switch colors instant, good is you see live the changes, bad... its very fast :D

OH MY... I hold hift and then go over the scene!!! xDDDD I thought I can with shift just swish left/right on the color to change it hahahaha

• maclean said:

You know, the color eye dropper is like standard fair in most art software packages.  Not having it in DS when its been requested for 8-10 years is pretty lame.  Sometimes I want an exact match for my shoe color as what may be found in the dress I'm using and i have to dial around, look at what it will look like in the actual picture and then dial around some more.  This is so lame and not consistent with some of the really good features in DS.  This and the crazy directory structure are my two biggest pet peaves with the product!  Its funny how vendors say their customers are the most valuable thing about their product and then tell you to go pound sand when you ask for a very basic feature that most of the competitive products have.  I can work around the directory structure but I want that color picker eye dropper!

• maclean said:

You know, the color eye dropper is like standard fair in most art software packages.  Not having it in DS when its been requested for 8-10 years is pretty lame.  Sometimes I want an exact match for my shoe color as what may be found in the dress I'm using and i have to dial around, look at what it will look like in the actual picture and then dial around some more.  This is so lame and not consistent with some of the really good features in DS.  This and the crazy directory structure are my two biggest pet peaves with the product!  Its funny how vendors say their customers are the most valuable thing about their product and then tell you to go pound sand when you ask for a very basic feature that most of the competitive products have.  I can work around the directory structure but I want that color picker eye dropper!

You might be interested in this product. It was an instant buy for many of us when the late DraagonStorm released it:

https://www.daz3d.com/color-picker-for-daz-studio

edited September 2020
    maclean said:

You might be interested in this product. It was an instant buy for many of us when the late DraagonStorm released it:

a little bit sad that daz3d needs so much scripts from outside and not giving it by themself, good maybe thats the reason why daz3d is free, if it would have too much features they would maybe may it to a pay software (or in worst case to a subscription model!....) but... it should have so much more features :(

I wish the LIE would 1. be faster and 2. have basic paint tools...

But thanks for that product link!

Post edited by Loony on
  • Loony said:
    maclean said:

a little bit sad that daz3d needs so much scripts from outside and not giving it by themself, good maybe thats the reason why daz3d is free, if it would have too much features they would maybe may it to a pay software (or in worst case to a subscription model!....) but... it should have so much more features :(

I wish the LIE would 1. be faster and 2. have basic paint tools...

But thanks for that product link!

No that is not why the company graciously made Daz Studio [originally selling for hundreds of dollars] into a free program. The program does have a lot of features and is very much treasured by many people. People [that know how to] can write scripts for the program and same as for any other content, make such available for free or purchase at their discretion.

• SaintSaint Posts: 59

I too would appreciate more custom color slots, even categories like I've got in PS.