War

scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
edited July 2014 in Carrara Discussion

Jeep, Helicopter and Rocket launcher done in Carrara.

Comments and critique are very welcome.
Thank You.

Post edited by scottidog2 on

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Thank You.

looks like War !

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Well done - in deed!
    Maybe a bit more emotions for the soldier: anger, pain, fear...

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Wonderful !in west society we read left to right, so if you flip the image it will work better in the west

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Maybe some DOF on the grenade? As it is I'm not quite sure where should be the focus of my attention - the soldier or the grenade - both are trying to dominate. I agree with EddieMI, the soldier seems uninterested.

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited June 2014

Really cool action shot. One technical discrepancy is the Willys type jeep was out well into retirement when Apache "type" jet attack choppers were introduced. A humvee would be more appropriate. Nice smoke and grundge work!

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

Thank You to everyone that commented. Every point raised is valid and is helping me to realise how I can improve my work as an artist.

{EddyMI - Maybe a bit more emotions for the soldier: anger, pain, fear…}
    You're spot on!
    The guy I photographed is an actor who was expressionless during the shoot. Its very frustrating when an actor can't act or follow directions.
    I did use the "Liquify tool" in photoshop to give expression to the face. I should have given more!

(head wax - Wonderful !in west society we read left to right, so if you flip the image it will work better in the west.}
    Interesting observation. Yes in Arab countries they read right to left.
    But I'm British and I just did the image this way so not all my images are left to right.

{Tim_A - Maybe some DOF on the grenade? }
    Yes I should have done that.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Thank You to everyone that commented. Every point raised is valid and is helping me to realise how I can improve my work as an artist.

{EddyMI - Maybe a bit more emotions for the soldier: anger, pain, fear…}
    You're spot on!
    The guy I photographed is an actor who was expressionless during the shoot. Its very frustrating when an actor can't act or follow directions.
    I did use the "Liquify tool" in photoshop to give expression to the face. I should have given more!

Ahh, talking about Steven Seagal: http://www.drinkalot.com/pics/Steven_Seagal_Emotions.jpg ?
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Wonderful !in west society we read left to right, so if you flip the image it will work better in the west

Hi, Head Wax.
    It is felt that you deeply know all the techniques of communication !
    There are the theory and the practice, for me which is righty, I prefers this image in this direction, I live in Europe, the East is perhaps on the other side compared to your residence…
    I am persuaded that we perceives the things according to whether we are at a place or another in the world.
    Very beautiful realization but, it's true, some expression in the face would be welcome.
    If it's a photo, there is Photoshop…:-)

edited December 1969

I'm not sure right or left is so significant when it comes to "reading" images - our eyes tend to be led into the scene from dominant to less dominant, so we "read" it from soldier to grenade.

I've had another thought: try angling the camera up more (always makes the subject look more dominant), and push in real close to either the grenade or the soldier (and I mean real close, so it's at least half the frame) I think that'll look a lot more dramatic. And give the guy a sneer or something!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

I'm not sure right or left is so significant when it comes to "reading" images - our eyes tend to be led into the scene from dominant to less dominant, so we "read" it from soldier to grenade.

I've had another thought: try angling the camera up more (always makes the subject look more dominant), and push in real close to either the grenade or the soldier (and I mean real close, so it's at least half the frame) I think that'll look a lot more dramatic. And give the guy a sneer or something!

A low angle looking up at the soldier might be difficult for Scottie since it's a 2D photograph of an actor. The only real way without distorting would be if there were actually a photograph taken at that angle.

edited December 1969

Fair enough - I was assuming he was using 3D assets that could be recomposed to some extent. Could still push in closer though, or at least try it.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    Fair enough - I was assuming he was using 3D assets that could be recomposed to some extent. Could still push in closer though, or at least try it.

Yep, that would work.

edited December 1969

DUDU_00001 :)

Left to right :) yes, the artist is God.
    In a narrative structure where the plot is dramatic, writers/image makers try and keep the reader turning the page. We want them to ask 'what is going to happen next?"
    So the supposition was: this image is meant to be dramatic; it has a narrative structure.
    Sure not all images read left to right. Of course.
    Gee you can even have them upside down and sideways if you want :)
    The best way to get the reader to stop and contemplate is the reverse arrow composition - like this one ;)
    So yes, it has achieved the purpose of contemplation.!

edited December 1969

The intent of my work is to create an experience. I am a Fashion Photographer and digital artist.
    What I love the most is working with CARRARA to realise my vision.
    The soldier image was done 2 years ago.
    My work is now more Carrara based with photography to compliment it.

edited June 2014

And beautiful work it is.!

Post edited by Headwax on
  • thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

Thank You.

A very nice image, good use of color, nice detail.

Of course, nothing is perfect so what could be improved? While DOF might be useful, to me the biggest issue was it being a "perfect shot" -- in other words, when there's serious motion there should be some motion blur. Either on the projectile or on the rest of the scene. Although Carrara can do motion blur it is probably much easier to do a multi pass render to get the object index and do a blur using that to select the projectile. Or render it separately, then composite in photoshop with blur on the layer. Or whatever -- I'm not that experienced so there may well be a better and easier way to accomplish it.

edited December 1969

As an artist it is about story telling. How you tell that story is left yo your imagination and personal sensibilities.

edited December 1969

thoromyr, you're absolutely right. Motion blur is easy to do in photoshop by duplicating the layer, applying motion blur filter and then using a layer mask to isolate the blur areas.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    And beautiful work it is.!

Absolutely. To a large extend, we're just nit-picking...

edited December 1969

Tim_A, I think its important for an artist to have an open mind and listen to other peoples opinions especially other artists.
    Carrara is an amazing community to learn new things.
    Looking at the work of other carrara artists is inspiring.
    I really appreciate all the feedback I get, especially the ones that point out my mistakes or areas where I can improve.