Loading some people models

Some models I downloaded from online can be opened by Daz3d Studio but Carrara will quit without any warning once it open around 60%

What could be the possible reason?

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Which models ?

Later DAZ Sudio rigging causes issues in Carrara.

Genesis 3 & 8 need Misty's preset to open in Carrara - do a search for "CarrarActors, Janette and Johnathon" at Renderosity, also look in her free section at Renderosity. Clothes & Hair for Genesis 3 & 8 need to be converted to Blended Weight in DAZ Studio.

Later DAZ Studio DUF models may need to be converted to Blended Weight in DAZ Studio.

There is also this thread in the Carrara Forum for items that are causing problems - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8916/buy-something-that-doesn-t-work-in-carrara-post-your-questions-and-workarounds-here-please/p1

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

My policy is to stick with Poser format characters, in particular Michael 4, Victoria 4, and Kids 4.  Carrara handles these with no problems.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

There was a thread in the Commons Forum in which I wrote something that seems appropriate here as well.  And it even mentions Steve K!  Here is the excerpt that might be relevant.

Note on Compatibility - 

- One Carrara user named SteveK uses legacy figures to compete in the annual 24-hour film festival.  Much of that stuff goes on deep, deep, discounts.  So what can be used?

- Carrara can natively read rigging for the original Poser format.  This includes the Daz3D figures contemporaneous with generations for Victoria 1-4.  So, the original Star figure loads natively in Carrara, as do Chip, Gramps, the FairyTale toon bears, wolf, and pigs, the original The Girl, original The Freak, and their V4 shape morphs.  On the Poser side, this corresponds to Poser figures that came with Poser 1-8 or so.  Yes to Poser Simon and Sydney, and Miki 3, but no to Dawn or Miki 4.  Carrara's surface structure (shader/texture room) has slightly different channels than Poser or Daz Studio so some tweaking is typically desirable and should be saved after first use so future loads can have a one click adjustment.  

- Carrara can natively read the rigging for Daz3D Genesis 1&2 rigging.  Geografts screw up the UVMapping so require work arounds (loading two versions and manipulating visibility...).  Personally, when I use human characters that I did not model myself, I use Genesis 2.  The aforementioned SteveK uses Victoria 4 and Michael 4.  @Dartanbeck mentioned by @MelanieL recently converted from Victoria 4 to Genesis 1.  The same shader tweak issues exist as for Victoria 4.

- Carrara can use blended weight versions of Daz3D Genesis 3&8 figures with Misty's character presets.  Same shader issues.  Carrara will crash if Genesis 3 or 8 are loaded without Misty's character preset.

- Carrara does not do well interpreting Poser's newer rigging.  An example would be the Dawn character,