Genesis 8 and Carrara?

I just have a quick question...
Does the latest Genesis 8 content (figures etc) work in Carrara? Or am I SOOL?
I've only just installed it, but haven't tried loading any of the stuff that came with the bundle, and not sure which version it is.
Don't want to stuff anything up :)

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

You need the following Preset Freebies (thanks to Misty) :-

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/carrara-compatible-character-preset-for-genesis-8-male/77745

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/carrara-compatible-character-preset-for-genesis-8-female/77504

All clothes and hair also need to be converted to Blended Weight in DAZ Studio

Autofit also does not work, so clothes and hair need to be fitted to your character in DAZ Studio, I then save mine as a Scene Subset.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

No,. Genesis 8 doesn't work natively n Carrara 8.5

Genesis 8 was built for use in Daz3D Studio.

Genesis 1 and 2 both work,. as do all previous generations of Daz3D and Poser figures,... there are some workaround options for genesis 8,. ..See Misty.

The people at Daz3D still aren't embarrased by this, and have no idea what a great piece of software carrara is.

Hope it helps ya

• AnatisAnatis Posts: 25

Thanks that helps :)
    Whether I'll be able to do this, no idea, but I'll try.
    I used to use Carrara years and years ago (and Poser), never got into Studio at all.
    But I still have all the old Poser content, so...

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

3DAGE!
    I had to rub my eyes, haven't seen postings from you in a while, but I have been half asleep last few months...glad to see you here and hope you are well.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

3DAGE!
    I had to rub my eyes, haven't seen postings from you in a while, but I have been half asleep last few months...glad to see you here and hope you are well.

+1

Because of Misty's presets, there are quite a few ways to use G8M and G8F in Carrara, ways to use Daz Studio as a useful free plugin for Carrara, and ways to use Carrara as a useful tool for Daz Studio.  I've put together a couple of examples.

Example 1 - using Carrara to create a morph for G8M, which can then be used in either Daz Studio or Carrara (with Misty's preset).

bb03 G8M seelect actor level and click wrench.jpg
    1420 x 998 - 220K
    bb05 symmetry on select eyebrow ridge and soft select and gizmo appear.jpg
    1909 x 973 - 301K
    bb06 translate selection.jpg
    1820 x 1026 - 308K
    bb07 file export make sure at base resolution.jpg
    1861 x 856 - 211K
    bb08 export save as daz studio morph target.jpg
    1524 x 956 - 196K
    bb09 in Studio can use morph loader to bring in new morph just make sure Carrara preset.jpg
    1480 x 923 - 180K
    bb10 brow ridge loaded successfully.jpg
    1753 x 824 - 189K
    bb11a.jpg
    1154 x 955 - 127K
    bb11b.jpg
    1447 x 955 - 168K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Anatis said:

I've only just installed it, but haven't tried loading any of the stuff that came with the bundle, and not sure which version it is.

Hopefully, you got this version.  And the included G1 bundles should work fine.  You need to learn how to open things properly in Carrara, apply shaders properly, etc., and all this takes time.  But in my experience, it was well worth it.  Carrara is a vast program.

As Bunyip said, G3 and G8 are usable in Carrara, but you have to jump through a few hoops.  If you are looking for premade quality and little effort, then Daz Studio is the way to go.  If you want more control over your final product, and want to more fully understand 3D technology, then learning Carrara is a no-brainer.

3DAGE!

+1 !!!

edited August 2020

Example 2 - using Carrara to create a conforming tank top which can then be converted to conforming item using Daz Studio's transfer utility, and then used in Daz Studio or Carrara.

cc05 can use menu to construct insert 3d cylinder.jpg
    1884 x 790 - 194K
    cc07 scale cylinder to approximate.jpg
    1901 x 985 - 271K
    cc08 couple quick modeling steps to get vague tank top.jpg
    1888 x 1014 - 273K
    cc10 basic uvmap.jpg
    1919 x 852 - 191K
    cc14 this time full scene.jpg
    1900 x 886 - 222K
    cc15 new studio scene with g8m import tank top obj.jpg
    1522 x 901 - 189K
    cc16 import settings use carrara units.jpg
    951 x 651 - 94K
    cc19 after convert to sub d use transfer utility.jpg
    1355 x 743 - 135K
    cc20 apply ogre morph just to show works like others.jpg
    1858 x 947 - 233K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited August 2020

Example 3 - using Carrara to create strand based hair, convert to prop and conforming, then used in Daz Studio or Carrara.

Why convert strand to prop?  Probably usually avoid, but if you use toon filter, NPR renderer, and some other niche, then might prefer render attributes of mesh to strand based hair.

ee01 select actor and drag hair icon from upper menu onto actor level of g8m.jpg
    1715 x 771 - 156K
    ee05 right side I lowered hair length to 20 unchecked show in 3d view increased segements to 14 in two spots.jpg
    1697 x 936 - 250K
    ee08 drape all and convert.jpg
    1473 x 781 - 135K
    ee11 render some hair test.jpg
    640 x 480 - 13K
    ff01 now this is really cool reduce hair display percentage.jpg
    1750 x 941 - 194K
    ff02 philemo plugin convert hair to obj.jpg
    1901 x 891 - 250K
    ff03 menu reduce width if desired.jpg
    1219 x 826 - 143K
    ff07 notice bottom of uvmap is the bottom of the strands.jpg
    1293 x 730 - 68K
    ff09 export as full scene daz.jpg
    1295 x 886 - 177K
    ff10 import obj as carrara units.jpg
    933 x 789 - 98K
    ff11 hair model in Studio fits head.jpg
    1627 x 936 - 198K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Note that compatibility is better with the Genesis 3 figures and Misty's presets, but can't link to them.  If you go to the links to her freebie G8 presets, you should be able to navigate to her store to find the G3 presets.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614

3DAGE!

+2

Good to see you 3D Age. I don't come here often anymore, but haven't seen you in awhile.

Stay Healthy
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    tsarist said:

3DAGE!

+2

Good to see you 3D Age. I don't come here often anymore, but haven't seen you in awhile.

Stay Healthy

And me !!!!   How have you been?

Thank goodness for Misty.  She's had a rough time with her eyes and surgery, and we hope she will be back soon. Her work on G3 and G8 is pure genius!  I use G3 all the time.

yesheart  SIlene

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    Anatis said:

Hopefully, you got this version.  And the included G1 bundles should work fine.  You need to learn how to open things properly in Carrara, apply shaders properly, etc., and all this takes time.  But in my experience, it was well worth it.  Carrara is a vast program.

As Bunyip said, G3 and G8 are usable in Carrara, but you have to jump through a few hoops.  If you are looking for premade quality and little effort, then Daz Studio is the way to go.  If you want more control over your final product, and want to more fully understand 3D technology, then learning Carrara is a no-brainer.

I must say, UB, it's been wonderful watching you grow in talent and technique with Carrara since you've come aboard! 

• Very nice of you to say, Dart.  Many thanks for your encouragement over the last 4 years, and for all the helpful posts.  I assumed that I would be animating by now, but the time to dive in and learn it is not yet right.  Someday...smiley

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Worry not, my friend. Animation comes when you want it to - and Carrara will make it a breeze for you!

Animation was the passion that brought me to (finally!!!) find Carrara when I did. I'm not very good with still image rendering yet. One day I'll shift my focus to that for a total change of pace. If you notice, my website articles (as well as most here, too) are geared toward getting fast renders, something I'll tone back on drastically when I want to do good still work. It's been a while, but when I saw Ringo perform his Caustics demo on the Carrara 6 bonus disc I was blown away seeing controls I never paid attention to before. With Carrara such things exist right in plain sight everywhere I look!

Like you said: Carrara is VAST!

That said, I still haven't given Genesis 2, 3 or 8 a fair shot in Carrara. I've done a lot with 2, but with J&J and the beta G8 presets I've seen how nicely we can work with these figures - Finally! Thanks Misty!!! When I first got her J&J presets I made a really cool Rosie 7 character using Mika 7 and a bunch of other shapes I injected into her using GenX2. I don't have many assets for 3 or 8, so that helped me to continue to ignore them for the time being. I've been collecting a tid bit here and there... so one day! :)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

UB... you have been an inspiration.   You are one of my favourite posters and I bookmark your projects all the time along with Diomede and almost EVERY contributor here. THere is always something to learn and the renders are so motivating to keep trying something new.  

Dart... hope you will be posting more as well!   

I have been quiet and in the background, lots going on in Real Life and my vision problems are still causing dry eye in spite of lubricating tears. Trouble is, I have tear duct plugs in and I must be very careful not to dislodge them as I cannot get an appointment to get any replaced. Then I would really have a dry eye problem.  Ack, just want the cataracts done and get sorted.  I hope Misty gets hers sorted, too. I do miss her posts!

This weekend I am going to try working with G8 for the first time. Fingers crossed!  And thanks for the re-visit on managing it Diomede. You are a star! 

frown heartyes Silene

• Thank you, Silene. heart

Life is a challenge.  Hope your current trials get resolved soon.yes

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Hi everyone. :)

I just popped in to check what's happening,. also,. I was asked to do some stuff for a friend so, checking out some models, ...but apart from that,..i'm pretty much out, ...still keeping an eye on any developments.

it's really ironic that daz are selling third party Bridge's when they own the only 3D program which works with their own models directly.

Anyway,.   good to see you all :)

Andy

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited September 2020
    3DAGE said:

Hi everyone. :)

I just popped in to check what's happening,. also,. I was asked to do some stuff for a friend so, checking out some models, ...but apart from that,..i'm pretty much out, ...still keeping an eye on any developments.

it's really ironic that daz are selling third party Bridge's when they own the only 3D program which works with their own models directly.

Anyway,.   good to see you all :)

Andy

heartalways lovely to see you

I often think DAZ studio diehards are unaware of what Carrara can actually do and far easier than Blender

I ended up ignoring one user always seeking ways to do stuff that won't try Carrara,

she is trying Bryce now apparently but having trouble using DAZ figures in it, well duh I mean duf cheeky

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • AnatisAnatis Posts: 25
    edited September 2020

Thanks for all the info, guys. I've been too busy to do anything really, but will hopefully get to practicing some when the days get shorter.
    Right now I'm trying to figure out how (if) the conforming stuff works in Carrara, or if I have to do all that stuff in Poser (I can't use Studio, I am lost in there.)
    Man, I used to know all this stuff... 10 years ago or thereabouts.

Post edited by Anatis on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Diomede said:

3DAGE!

+1

still lovin the kitchen set smiley

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    Mystiarra said:
    Diomede said:

3DAGE!

+1

still lovin the kitchen set smiley

+2

hi andy yes

Wendy, unfortunately these days if it's not click & go it's too hard... cool