Strange Bryce 7.1 behaviour on Windows 8.1

edited June 2014 in Bryce Discussion

I'm being plagued by a number of problems after re-installing Bryce 7.1 to satisfy an (forced) upgrade to Windows 8.1 (32-bit).
1. Bryce keeps asking for input of my serial number.
2. Bryce gets unspecified (generic) errors trying to open .br5 scenes.

I suspect this may be due to the new standard imposed by Windows 8.1 where user content is to be stored in locations other than \Program Files\ directory.

Post edited by nereus541_f392973b9f on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Nereus541 said:
    I'm being plagued by a number of problems after re-installing Bryce 7.1 to satisfy an (forced) upgrade to Windows 8.1 (32-bit).
    1. Bryce keeps asking for input of my serial number.
    2. Bryce gets unspecified (generic) errors trying to open .br5 scenes.

I suspect this may be due to the new standard imposed by Windows 8.1 where user content is to be stored in locations other than \Program Files\ directory.

Try running as Administrator for entering the serial number.
    I personally installed Bryce outside of Program Files -- the new standard has been in effect since Vista.

• edited December 1969

Running as Administrator took care of the unspecified errors while opening .br5 scenes. The issue with the serial number is still not resolved. Every time I run the program, I have to re-enter my name and product serial number.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,533
    edited December 1969

@Nereus541 - either the file "Bryce70.dta" (a hidden one) is not written after entering the serial, or it is saved to a wrong location. It needs to be in the Bryce main folder where also the exe is. If you find that file in another folder, just copy it to the Bryce folder. Remember, it has the Hidden attribute set and is therefore usually not shown.

• edited July 2014

I ran across a similar fault in one of the other threads. It is, as I suspected, one of those oddities introduced in Windows 8. If data is maintained by the program within the C:\Program Files\ directory, the program MUST RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR and the data must be Public. The solution is to uninstall the program and re-install it in some directory other than C:\Program Files\. No data is to be maintained within C:\Program Files\

SOLVED... Mark up another one for "Microsoft, go back to the drawing board and start over."

Post edited by nereus541_f392973b9f on
    edited July 2014

@Nereus541 - glad to hear that you could make it work. I have worked with Bryce from Win95 up to 7 and never had such issues - but I never ever install anything on C. Drive space is cheap and partitioning into additional logical units helpful. At the moment, I avoid Win 8 like the devil. 8.1 is better I hear.

Since it works now: Have Fun with Bryce!

Post edited by Horo on
  • edited December 1969

Based on Windows discussion groups, 8.1 is worse than 8. Apparently, the only testing M$oft did involved touch screens, leaving the rest of us seriously considering transitoning to Apple.

edited December 1969

Not very encouraging. Thanks for reporting back.