Daz Studio: Are You Sure You Want to Close the Render You Haven't Saved?

I was rendering something for an hour. As I sat down to click on the "cancel" button because my render was close enough, it just so happened that the "cancel" button became the "close" button and I lost an hour of my life.  You should prompt the user if the user hasn't saved the render with a "Hey, are you sure you want to close this unsaved render having spent X hours and X minutes rendering it?"

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744
    edited August 2020

A failsafe prompt would be a good idea. In case you don't know,   The render is saved to a temporary folder,  and you can save it even after you have closed the render window,  either by mistake or other reason. 

Under File choose "Save Last Render"  and it will save whatever render is last cached in the temp forlder.

savelastrender.jpg
    458 x 467 - 42K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

I'd like to tack on a rider:

Add the option to stop a render and save it without the render window closing. It'd be nice to save a copy of your render, pop it into an image editor with your other elements, and if it's not good enough pop it back in the oven.

• margrave said:

Add the option to stop a render and save it without the render window closing. It'd be nice to save a copy of your render, pop it into an image editor with your other elements, and if it's not good enough pop it back in the oven.

File>Save Last Render will also address this.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    margrave said:

File>Save Last Render will also address this.

That's actually really helpful, thanks. But I still think that's how the render window should work by default, because I never would've known about that unless somebody told me. Especially since rendering typically prevents you from doing anything with Daz's main UI.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,693

^Only while it's rendering. Once you click 'cancel' you can access the menus to 'Save Last Render' - then click 'resume' on the render window if you like.

• As well as "Are You Sure You Want to Close the Render You Haven't Saved?" I'd like to be able to set it up to ask "Do you want to save the file before you render it?" The number of times I've lost hours of work because I forgot to save before doing a render which crashed...

• ^This is something I need too - I just get carried away with 'let's render this and see how it looks' after tweaking loads of things in a scene (or even setting up a whole scene) but forgetting to save it first.