Genesis 3 Female Fails after following Daz to Unreal Tutorial

jdavison67jdavison67 Posts: 587
edited September 2020 in Unreal Discussion

Following this tutorial:https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBuFAijszM4

Everything seemed fine until I retargted the Mannequins 3rd person animations to my character. Then the character became mangled.

JD

G3F_Unreal_Fail_00.png
3803 x 2093 - 3M
G3F_Unreal_Fail_01.png
3810 x 2108 - 3M
Post edited by jdavison67 on

Comments

•  

Is there a sollution?

I've read through the thread, but did not see a solution offered....

I tried doing it all over again...and had the same result....

JD

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821
    edited September 2020

Is there a sollution?

JD

I have tried explaining to three people now in three threads so I guess I am not terribly good at explaining blush

hopefully someone else can help you, its to do with opening another content browser pointing to the plugin folder but that might not be the right answer just only solution I found

in another thread I posted 

I was having your deformity issue too.

the problem is you need to load the retargeting preset option for the genesis 3 or 8 skeleton but you won't see it unless you have a second browser open with the game engine content listed.

also the pose preset.

it sets everything recursively to skeleton with the root, hip, pelvis and lower abdomen set to animation.

you also need that second content browser open to enable the mannequin to see the DAZ skeleton when retargeting animations from the Blueprint.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  •  

Is there a sollution?

JD

I have tried explaining to three people now in three threads so I guess I am not terribly good at explaining blush

hopefully someone else can help you, its to do with opening another content browser pointing to the plugin folder but that might not be the right answer just only solution I found

in another thread I posted 

the problem is you need to load the retargeting preset option for the genesis 3 or 8 skeleton but you won't see it unless you have a second browser open with the game engine content listed.

also the pose preset.

it sets everything recursively to skeleton with the root, hip, pelvis and lower abdomen set to animation.

you also need that second content browser open to enable the mannequin to see the DAZ skeleton when retargeting animations from the Blueprint.

Yes...I found one of your explanations:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

also the pose preset.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the tutorial needs a major update....This doesn't work as is...........

JD

• yeah I don't know if it's an installation issue from DAZ but this worked for me

• jdavison67jdavison67 Posts: 587
    edited September 2020

yeah I don't know if it's an installation issue from DAZ but this worked for me

Well...in the tutorial...before you retarget the mannequins animations, there is a step to link the skeletal mesh to either the Gen 3 or Gen 8 skeleton...automap and save...but it still deforms, unless these are bad presets...

JD

• There's a mistake in the tutorial currently.  If you automap the Genesis3 or 8 skeleton is will mess up the targetting.  The most reliable fix I've found is to get a a clean version of the skeleton.

http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-getting-a-clean-copy-of-the-skeleton/

• There's a mistake in the tutorial currently.  If you automap the Genesis3 or 8 skeleton is will mess up the targetting.  The most reliable fix I've found is to get a a clean version of the skeleton.

http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-getting-a-clean-copy-of-the-skeleton/

So...after updating the skeleton...what part of the tutorial should we skip?  Or do we add this skeleton post tutorial?

JD

• So...after updating the skeleton...what part of the tutorial should we skip?  Or do we add this skeleton post tutorial?

I think if you replace the skeleton with the clean one it might just start working, but the key thing it to not hit automap on the Genesis3 or 8 skeleton when it tells you to.  Unreal doesn't do a good job of mapping the Genesis skeletons and wierd things will happen.  I already saved them out with a humanoid mapping I set by hand, so that the step isn't necessary.  As far as I know the tutorial is getting updated.  Here's my old tutorial.  It's not as nice and the part where you setup the plugin is wrong now, but it should give you the steps.  

• jdavison67jdavison67 Posts: 587
    edited September 2020

So...after updating the skeleton...what part of the tutorial should we skip?  Or do we add this skeleton post tutorial?

I think if you replace the skeleton with the clean one it might just start working, but the key thing it to not hit automap on the Genesis3 or 8 skeleton when it tells you to.  Unreal doesn't do a good job of mapping the Genesis skeletons and wierd things will happen.  I already saved them out with a humanoid mapping I set by hand, so that the step isn't necessary.  As far as I know the tutorial is getting updated.  Here's my old tutorial.  It's not as nice and the part where you setup the plugin is wrong now, but it should give you the steps.  

Okay so I had some success with Genesis 8 Female with flat boots....the one thing I didn't follow was the part where it says to change the pose.. I found that it stretched my character out...in an ugly way...leaving the pose as is after retargeting, worked fine...

Unreal.png
    3840 x 2111 - 3M
    UnrealTest1.jpg
    3840 x 2111 - 3M
  • I bought Chloe for Genesis 3 Female + Interactive License
    and
    Genesis 3 Starter Essentials + Interactive License (so as not to leave the model completely without hair and clothes).

UE4 log:

No smoothing group information was found in this FBX scene.  Please make sure to enable the 'Export Smoothing Groups' option in the FBX Exporter plug-in before exporting the file.  Even for tools that don't support smoothing groups, the FBX Exporter will generate appropriate smoothing data at export-time so that correct vertex normals can be inferred while importing. The following bones are missing from the bind pose:ik_foot_root  ik_foot_l  ik_foot_r  ik_hand_root  ik_hand_gun  ik_hand_r  ik_hand_l  This can happen for bones that are not vert weighted. If they are not in the correct orientation after importing,please set the "Use T0 as ref pose" option or add them to the bind pose and reimport the skeletal mesh. 

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Shared/Editor/FbxErrors/index.html

Help with imports and settings.

How do I achieve import so that the model looks in UE4 the same as in daz?

01.png
    516 x 284 - 23K
    02.png
    820 x 687 - 56K
    03.png
    812 x 667 - 41K
    04.png
    691 x 680 - 53K
  • Those warnings are normal.  It's because the ik bones don't have anything attached to them (they shouldnt').  

I'd transfer a character without subdivision first since subdivision can be slow.

What looked wrong after the transfer?

• the5amkebabthe5amkebab Posts: 103
    edited September 2020

I'm using the Diffeomorphic plugin to get characters from Daz into blender and then using it to automatically convert the Daz rig to a Rigify rig, an incredibly easy process. I am looking at trying to now move my Rigify Daz character from Blender to Unreal as apparently that is a very common process with Unreal even having supporting plugins on their github. Although its an extra program in the pipeline would this be easier for you (or anyone else) than going through the Daz plugin with the issues its currently having and errors in the tutorial?

Post edited by the5amkebab on
  • jeronimocollaresjeronimocollares Posts: 131
    edited September 2020

I bought Chloe for Genesis 3 Female + Interactive License
    and
    Genesis 3 Starter Essentials + Interactive License (so as not to leave the model completely without hair and clothes).

UE4 log:

No smoothing group information was found in this FBX scene.  Please make sure to enable the 'Export Smoothing Groups' option in the FBX Exporter plug-in before exporting the file.  Even for tools that don't support smoothing groups, the FBX Exporter will generate appropriate smoothing data at export-time so that correct vertex normals can be inferred while importing. The following bones are missing from the bind pose:ik_foot_root  ik_foot_l  ik_foot_r  ik_hand_root  ik_hand_gun  ik_hand_r  ik_hand_l  This can happen for bones that are not vert weighted. If they are not in the correct orientation after importing,please set the "Use T0 as ref pose" option or add them to the bind pose and reimport the skeletal mesh. 

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Shared/Editor/FbxErrors/index.html

Help with imports and settings.

How do I achieve import so that the model looks in UE4 the same as in daz?

- This message doesn matter. You need just follow the tutorial. 

- to EXPORT A MODEL - UNCHECK the 'ANIMATION' in FBX Exporter (or this ll save all morphs in each frame what u have in TIME LINE). So, to export a MODEL (Skeletal MESH) uncheck it. TO export a animation, REMOVE ALL MORPHS...and check the animation in FBX panel. :) After, just follow the tutorial. OR go in page of the DEV, i ll get the adress, and follow that instructions (HERE - http://davidvodhanel.com/).

Post edited by jeronimocollares on