Fit to tool -not being prompted for original figure

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited July 2014 in Carrara Discussion

I made a simple dress in Carrara's vertex modeler. It is designed for V4, but my intention was to also have it "fit to" genesis characters. I converted the obj to a triax figure in daz Studio and saved it out as a wearable preset for V4. In Carrara, I loaded a V4 figure and the new dress figure. The dress conforms to V4 pretty well (see posed figure below).

I then started a new Carrara file. I loaded a Genesis figure and the new wearable preset dress designed for V4. I used "fit to" hoping to get the menu that asks what figure the dress was designed for so it could be converted to fit Genesis. Instead, I got an unhelpful error message (see below). I also tried fit to in Daz Studio, but I don't get prompted there either.

Edit: My intention is to use the dress with V4 and Genesis in Carrara 8.5, not Daz Studio.

V4_fits.JPG
460 x 440 - 37K
error_fit_to.JPG
851 x 510 - 79K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I'm not exactly sure about this, but I do have a hunch that the Auto-Fit is drawing an error from finding a Triax item for V4, since V4 stuff is not Triax. If you instead just made the clothing to fit V4 in the usual V4 fashion, it would likely work as expected.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the quick reply, Dart. I bet your hunch is correct. I took the mesh into Poser and used the wardrobe wizard to turn it into a conforming figure for V4. The result gets saved to a Poser runtime library. When I loaded the resulting conforming dress into the scene from the runtime library and used Carrara's fit to, I got prompted for the type of figure it was designed for. Carrara projected the appropriate morphs to fit Genesis.

fit_to_works_from_Poser.JPG
    664 x 619 - 76K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Cool. I expected as much, since I've taken a few looks at the mesh outcome after a Fit-To has been performed. Quite impressive, actually.

So now that you've gone through the nice automated process of making a conforming Triax figure, instead of using Fit-To from V4 to Genesis, try reshaping your OBJ mesh in Carrara to fit Genesis Female or Genesis 2 Female, and then make it into a Triax piece. I forget how to do it when you make something for the female version of Genesis, but I think it's as easy as performing a subtractive process during the whole automated thing in DS. Then it will fit and work perfectly without the need for the conversion ;)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Oh thanks, this is an amazing solution...BOTH of you for having just made my making of simple shifts for prehistoric clothing much much easier.... and in such a simple and easy fix. I'd tried Marvelous Designer and just didn't do well with it which is my fault. This was my preferred way for my ability level.

I'd gotten away from doing this because of fitting problems... am off to practice NOW. Thanks so very much!

xx :) Silene

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

@Dart - Thanks again. I've done some experiments with creating content for specific Genesis shapes, but I always get the sequence wrong. I generally end up doubling the shape I want. I need to pay more careful attention to some of the guides and tutorials.

@Silene - Not sure that I am glad that others share my problems, but I am glad that this thread might help you as well. I have found it very easy to use Daz Studio as a plugin to convert clothing meshes that I make in Carrara to conforming clothing for all figures, not just Genesis. For most shapes, the triax utilities can avoid the tedious steps of creating and creating the domains and naming the body parts of clothing creation.

Lets say I want to make clothing in which the UVs are optimized for the V4 or M4 shape, Aiko 3, or even the Don figure from Poser 5. Being lazy, I noticed that the Daz Studio transfer utility does not require me to set up the clothing mesh body parts prior to figure creation as long as I convert the target figure (V4, M4) to triax first. That is a one step process in Studio. So, when making clothing for non-triax figures, I just load the figure in Carrara, make the vertex clothing mesh fit the figure, and then scale and import it into Studio properly. Once in Studio, I load the host figure (eg. V4), convert that figure to triax, then use the transfer utility to convert the clothing mesh to a conforming figure. I save the converted clothing to my library, and then I can use the clothing on the default (non-triax) versions of the figure in Carrara. Usually works very well, with little or no poke through, even though I didn't set up the body part domains.

--
    In this case, I was making something for V4, but also wanted to have it available for Genesis shapes in the future. I thought I could use the simplified method of making the clothing for V4, and that I could then use fit to for Genesis. But as Dart pointed out, since my clothing is already triax, the fit to function doesn't know to ask what figure it was originally designed for.

Here are some useful links for most people who would be interested in the subject of the thread.

Daz Studio thread that gathers info on making clothing for Genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14421/

Dart’s thread on Creating Content for Genesis in Carrara
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/31463/

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Thanks again... will look at the links as well! xx :) Silene