Carrara 8.5 Unresponsive

Zach WilsonZach Wilson Posts: 92
edited September 2020 in Carrara Discussion

Well this is new. I just reinstalled Windows 10 and Carrara, made sure my drivers were up to date but when I open a new scene instead of it instantly loading the workspace it now says preparing data... then the grid comes in but if I insert a cube takes like 10 secs minimum if I try to rotate the scene same thing. If I load a cube a sphere and cylinder then I can't even move an object. If i try to load a terrain primitive it never loads. Wait the landscape primative just came in but It's just as laggy as the others when trying to move the view or add a filter.

Post edited by Zach Wilson on

Comments

• turn off texture spooling

if you have software try openGL or vise versa

under the little interactive render arrow icon settings set your textures really low

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Hi Wendy,  Where is texture spooling... in preferences?  Or is it a W10 thing?  Ta,  Silene

• SileneUK said:

Hi Wendy,  Where is texture spooling... in preferences?  Or is it a W10 thing?  Ta,  Silene

yes in preferences

• I tired switching from opengl to software, reducing texture size, turning off texture spooling, and even uninstalled and reinstalled no luck.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited September 2020

I am at a loss then because I have it on a Ryzen3 Win10 machine that's pretty gutless and it is fine

so I feel something else is at play

do you have a Huon graphics tablet by some chance?

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

If you have plugins installed, try going through the list of each one you've installed. Remove one (three files) and try again until you've found the culprit. When I had plugin issues, I did it the opposite way - I looked at every plugin I had installed and made a list, then removed all of them. After discovering that this was indeed my issue, I put them back in in small batches until I found the one that was giving me trouble. If I remember correctly, the one that caused the issue was outdated and I only needed to download an updated copy. Either that or it was a plugin that required something else to be installed - like Luxor needs Luxrender installed, VWD needs Python, for example, and I didn't have it installed yet, so Carrara kept searching for it until it just failed.

It might not be that.

Windows 10 (in my experience) uses a Lot more RAM and other system resources even when there's nothing else running. My laptop won't do anything unless I turn off the WiFi so it can't connect to the internet. There are ways to optimize this, but that's beyond me.

That said, if you're using a motherboard or cpu graphics card (instead of a dedicated card) there might be an issue with RAM sharing?

• Zach WilsonZach Wilson Posts: 92
    edited September 2020

It's a fresh install with no plug-ins. I think it might have been a conflict with Blender or Cinema4D It worked fine until I installed Blender and Cinema4D's demo. I removed both Blender and Cinema4D reinstalled windows. Then reinstalled Cinema4D then Carrara same problem. Going to reinstall windows again an just install Carrara and see if it works.

Post edited by Zach Wilson on

Suddenly this laptop (Win 10) is almost entirely useless. Changes have been made to the behavior of Windows 10 without my doing anything. WTF is MSFT doing? Barely even boots up.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited September 2020

meh Windows10 seems to have a habit of effing things up with updates

guess that's one advantage of keeping my Win7 system as well, no more updates except security.

Sorry to hear that Dart, hope mine doesn't update when I turn it on

and yes brother grim, sounds like a C4D clash. makes me feel less sad I cannot afford it cheeky

that said if you paid for it I would fully understand choosing it over Carrara

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

maybe install Carrara on your 2nd HD if you have one.. if not then maybe create a seperate folder off the root drive and put it in there rather than installing to the Program Files folder.

enlightened

• Suddenly this laptop (Win 10) is almost entirely useless. Changes have been made to the behavior of Windows 10 without my doing anything. WTF is MSFT doing? Barely even boots up.

I use wpd.app https://wpd.app/ ; its a program to remove windows telemetry making windows faster, also I select best performance @ https://fedtechmagazine.com/article/2019/07/manage-windows-10-settings-better-performance ; big difference on my windows 10 is like going back to windows xp but with better dated things.

• It seems to have been a Windows 10 problem. I check for updates everyday and today I had a cumulative update for Win 10 and that appears to have fixed it. I've had this problem with Windows 10 and other programs before just not with Carrara.

3dcgx said:

Suddenly this laptop (Win 10) is almost entirely useless. Changes have been made to the behavior of Windows 10 without my doing anything. WTF is MSFT doing? Barely even boots up.

I use wpd.app https://wpd.app/ ; its a program to remove windows telemetry making windows faster, also I select best performance @ https://fedtechmagazine.com/article/2019/07/manage-windows-10-settings-better-performance ; big difference on my windows 10 is like going back to windows xp but with better dated things.

Thanks!

It seems to have been a Windows 10 problem. I check for updates everyday and today I had a cumulative update for Win 10 and that appears to have fixed it. I've had this problem with Windows 10 and other programs before just not with Carrara.

Awesome. Glad it's fixed!