Legal Questions

Greetings!

I know that there is a specific thread for this. I just can't find it, so I'm sorry for posting this here, but here we go anyway. I'm also sure my question has a very obvious answer, I'm just trying to be sure.

After using DAZ Studio for a while, the Unreal bridge made me look at making games. I have a lot of content, and I'm having to go back and see what I can get an Interactive Liscence for, and I note that many of my character morphs do not have one available. This means that they are completely off-limits, right?

Comments

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

any product without any interactive license can't be used in game, this is basic, now what you can do?

1 - if it's a daz original you can open a ticket and "ask" daz team to add the license, to be fair while this is possible daz team have a sort of "police' of "ignore" or take forever to do that, in the past many daz original bundles don't have a "license and i keep asking over and over and over and keep making the huge adversiment about "game" about unreal" was a big battle and keep creating new and new tickets until they finally accept, and finally they added and opened daz for "game", with the daz bridge and the $5 licenses special price, you can still find some daz original here and there missing a license but again you can ask it just gonna take "a lot of time"

2 - if is a PA daz artistis then 2 things can be made: 1- or try to find a way to direct contact the PA artists and ask him to "add" the license, its a sort of 50/50, some PA will add with not issues, others pas will made clear which they "dont want to add", others complete ignore you and others will "say which they will ask daz to do that, which will faill in the "daz" desire or good wil of do"; 2- if you can't find a contact with the PA you can "ask daz" with a ticket to try to contact the pa and ask him to add the license, which again will fall in the old "daz good will" but also in the PA good will.

3 - in some cases if the license is not "added" you can try to contact the PA and ask himself if him "allow" you to use the stuff, ( daz will ask you to contact the PA and make the request if the PA allow you him/her must send daz a "note" saying which he is allowing you to use the content", you must talk with daz more abou it, this is really a very rare and "last attempr" when everything fail

then if none of the 3 happen then you can't use those stuffs no matter how you want and how much they are "good to go".

have in mind not all daz PA artists are "easy to contact i believe most of the then or are not easy to contact or want to have any "contact with customers", selles like for exemple "outoftouch make for they nicks and are really outoftouch, others like let's say rawart or ladylittlefox are more easy to contact or mada and others, but some of then are really or impossible to contact or just don't want to have they stuffs used outside daz or in others cases are "artists" whcih are no more active on daz or in the forum(no releasing anything new anymore and just getting they money from old stuffs).

• Ok so let's say there is no option to get interactive license, and I will use some assets in the game. What haplens then? Just theoretically. I was always wondering that, but I have no intention of doing that. Heck, I don't even have a computer ATM. Waiting for RTX 3000 release and price stabilisation lel
    Ok so let's say there is no option to get interactive license, and I will use some assets in the game. What haplens then? Just theoretically. I was always wondering that, but I have no intention of doing that. Heck, I don't even have a computer ATM. Waiting for RTX 3000 release and price stabilisation lel

ok, if there's no option, well if i'm not wrong if the game "is free" distribuction i means you don't "ask for money" then again if i'm not wrong you have no issues the issues is only if you are gaining something from it, another option is the game is for personal usage or education, like you are "learning to make a game, as long you are not earnin money then"no issues, Also you only need the "license" only when you are about to release the game "to sell", if you are just in the "production process you don't need the license, now, if even after all that you decide to "make a game and sell it without the license, then in this case let's say "your best scene" would be none of the peoples which had bought the game are aware about the "source of the assets" or are the creators themselfs because in this case you fall into they contract laws infrignment and problably you gonna have a huge headcach with "justice", if none person recoginize the "stuffs" and don't "report to daz or the PA then "you could be fine" until you get caught".

A second option can be make "visual novel games, which uses pre rendered "images", because it wil fall in the "fair use" rule for "rendered images where you don't need pay for the "license, you only need it if you are placing the "3d asset direct in the game and "allow the player to interact with it, then pre rendered images can be used to make a 2d game with 3d rendered images.or pre rendered animations like again some "sex visual novel games do", then in this case you don't need the "license" since the "player is having acecss only to the "rendered images or animations and not the 3d asset itself.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    Ellessarr said:
    Ok so let's say there is no option to get interactive license, and I will use some assets in the game. What haplens then? Just theoretically. I was always wondering that, but I have no intention of doing that. Heck, I don't even have a computer ATM. Waiting for RTX 3000 release and price stabilisation lel

ok, if there's no option, well if i'm not wrong if the game "is free" distribuction i means you don't "ask for money" then again if i'm not wrong you have no issues the issues is only if you are gaining something from it

You're wrong. If there's no interactive license then you're not allowed to distribute the content with your game, free or not. 

Leana said:
    Ellessarr said:

ok, if there's no option, well if i'm not wrong if the game "is free" distribuction i means you don't "ask for money" then again if i'm not wrong you have no issues the issues is only if you are gaining something from it

You're wrong. If there's no interactive license then you're not allowed to distribute the content with your game, free or not. 

yeah, thanks for the clarify, that i was really not sure it was a long time i've talked with daz and not was sure about that.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    Ellessarr said:
    Leana said:
    Ellessarr said:

yeah, thanks for the clarify, that i was really not sure it was a long time i've talked with daz and not was sure about that.

If there's no interactive license then the standard license applies, and it forbids redistribution.

Leana said:
    Ellessarr said:
    Leana said:
    Ellessarr said:

If there's no interactive license then the standard license applies, and it forbids redistribution.

the normal way would be or ask to add a license or ask for "authorization" from the PA or daz.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    Ellessarr said:

A second option can be make "visual novel games, which uses pre rendered "images", because it wil fall in the "fair use" rule for "rendered images where you don't need pay for the "license, you only need it if you are placing the "3d asset direct in the game and "allow the player to interact with it, then pre rendered images can be used to make a 2d game with 3d rendered images.or pre rendered animations like again some "sex visual novel games do", then in this case you don't need the "license" since the "player is having acecss only to the "rendered images or animations and not the 3d asset itself.

That is not Fair Use. That is straight up permitted use within the scope of the EULA. Please, PLEASE educate yourself what Fair Use actually means before you spout more such nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Ascania said:
    Ellessarr said:

That is not Fair Use. That is straight up permitted use within the scope of the EULA. Please, PLEASE educate yourself what Fair Use actually means before you spout more such nonsense.

when i say "fair use" i was not talking about "law" i was just using the word to say which you can make games using images" instead of the 3d asset, omg, be calm.

• Ellessarr said:
    Ascania said:
    Ellessarr said:

when i say "fair use" i was not talking about "law" i was just using the word to say which you can make games using images" instead of the 3d asset, omg, be calm.

You can make games using 2D images because the license permits it, not for soem notional "fair use". In a thread about usage rights it is important to keep things clear.

Ellessarr said:
    Ascania said:
    Ellessarr said:

You can make games using 2D images because the license permits it, not for soem notional "fair use". In a thread about usage rights it is important to keep things clear.

this is why i told which it was from the rule from the image usages from the site, again maybe was "bad english" but the idea was to say "you can use images to make a game because of the license rule", the fair was just a "way to speak" in the same way sometimes i like to say "to be fair" and things like that i was never talking about "the fair use rule", i was saying which according to the site rules it's "fair to use" images to make game.

Well after that i will refrain to post anymore help since i'm really that horrible person, really sorry for all the trouble and being bad really srry, not gonna say anything anymore.

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 166

Hopefully this isn't a "dumb" question, but here it goes.  If you don't have an interactive license, and you use a product like the Unreal Bridge, and create games for your own personal use, would that be considered ok?  Meaning, that you would not be distributing the final product at all, with you being the only person using it.  Thanks!

Rich S.

• LinkRS said:

Hopefully this isn't a "dumb" question, but here it goes.  If you don't have an interactive license, and you use a product like the Unreal Bridge, and create games for your own personal use, would that be considered ok?  Meaning, that you would not be distributing the final product at all, with you being the only person using it.  Thanks!

Rich S.

For your own use on your local system is fine, it's only when you share/distribute in a form that includes the 3D data and/or textures that you need an interactive license

• Ascania said:
    Ellessarr said:

Really?

• Intresting conversation.

One of the biggest issues facing Indy developers these days is proper DCC licensing of assets that they wish to make use of in their game and is a mine field of what actually falls under this category as to IP owner ship. Someone can make a Spiderman model and make it available under CC0 for free but that does not mean that they own the licensing rights as to copyright.

Licensing in general

A license is not a one ring to rule them all situation and what is made available is a vending machine license for which a need is made possible under limited terms and conditions. For our needs we purchased a Daz Original Indy license when it was made available so our worry as to usable assets in Unreal 4 have been solved so if you need access to a lot of Daz assets the structure is at least in place where you would contact Daz3D as to any requirements that falls outside the terms and conditions of the vending machine version.

Fair Use.

"Fair Use" is a word use that covers a large range of intention and can only be applied with in context as to an assumption. Fair use as law for example is a doctrine as to fair use of copyright materials as to arguments in a court of law that could be won.

Fair use of the G3 and G8 “base” in Unreal 4 is applied by assumption due to the inclusion of the required plug-in assets necessary to make the bridge function. With in context for the bridge to be comparable it has to comply with the terms and conditions Epic has set out as to fair use under their engine license terms and conditions.

That said “Fair use” is a very narrow path as to what the asset developer will or will not allow as to what is acceptable use of their “product”. Loading up on Unity assets and porting them over to UE4 is a no-no in this case as to fair use of a “product”

The flip side is fair use as to copyright law where where use is generally determined as to what is in the best interest of the public in general versus the assumption of ownership. Apple trying to copyright and trademark the letter I for example.

To avoid writing a book one last note is I'm no lawyer so if it really matters over and above casual conversion the hire one. If you have concerns as to licensing issues send Daz3D an e-mail and last do your own research as to the single biggest issue you will face when your game goes “Angry Birds” and some kid sues you for some silly dance move.

OH

And don't take legal advice from some name on a open forum. ;)