Transparent Background Issues

aniteowlaniteowl Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I need to make an animated gif. It's an airplane circling around.
The background needs to be transparent. I have tried everything I can think of including switching from Carrera 4 to Carrera 8.5 and I can't seem to make an animated gif with a transparent background.

When I go to make an animated gif and I click on "options" the ability to select making a black or white background transparent is "un-clickable".

The result of this is that when I import the animated gif (or a series of gifs) into Adobe Fireworks and remove the background I get a little white line around the plane where the airplane intersects its background. This white line is caused by the antialiasing of the airplane object against the white background.

I have attempted to eliminate this white line by asking Carrera to do NO antialiasing. Carrera (both versions) doesn't seem to care that I have set antialiasing to "none".

I can't seem to find any documentation anywhere on configuring the detailed options for creating an animated gift with a transparent background.

I've already burned about six hours trying to get rid of the stupid white line. Does anyone really know how to do this (no guessing , please)

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You may find you get more answers in the Carrara Forum. WOuld you like me to move your thread over there ?

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

have you tried against a black background that is what I tend to do for a still image

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited July 2012

I don't know if this will help, but if you look at this video;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YS_Ui5vzKQ
    you will see at the end (the video is only 29 seconds), I made a ball bounce and then exported that along with an alpha channel (the transparent background), this was then quickly combined with some live video of my living room so the ball bounced on the table.
    OK, it doesn't look particularly good but I did everything in that video on the first day I started using Carrara.
    The problem being that I only used Carrara for a few days and haven't been back to it since so I can't help you in any detail but if you look up 'Alpha Channel' (it's in the "output" tab at the bottom of the 'File Format' section... that's what you need.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited July 2012

Surely you can render to PNG image sequence (which would allow you your transparent background) and then use any number of freeware tools (like say VirtuaDub) to change the PNGs into an animated.gif.

Post edited by adamr001 on