Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

more other attempts focusing on shadows and reflections; native resolution 4K, around 13 minutes each render

Great work! I like #3 the best.
    edited December 1969

EddyMI said:
    I made these ones wit Octane

Great renders and really nice skin shaders!
    edited December 1969

This is the same image as above. When I looked at it on my iPhone it looked very very dark. Nothing like it did on my Mac (in Photoshop with proof image on). I did some level adjustments so that it would look the same brightness. When I get to work I am going to check it on my Windows machine. It'll probably look completely different on that too. I don't know what to trust as a reference. Argggggg!!!

I like the lighting!
    A couple of years ago I got tired of trying to figure out if my display was off, or if it was just too bright as kept running across images that were too dark to see (a lot of them). I finally broke down and got a Spyder 4 Express, and am very happy I did. Now I know my monitor is calibrated properly. You would be amazed at how different displays are. I was using 3 different monitors types at work, and had three different monitors at home, and they were all different. I'd use the simple calibration procedures that can be found on the web, but it was still very difficult to get things looking exactly the same.
    edited January 2015

This image started off as my entry for the October challenge, but the format requirements kept me from being able to add in the extra figure. I finally got around to finishing it.

Title: A Day in the Life of a Time Traveler:
    A New Day, A Different Year, A New Friend, A New Challenge

Set up in Carrara 8.5 Pro and rendered using the Ocatne plugin for Carrara, and lit with one mesh light. The only post work was a slight adjustment to levels.

Main Items Used:
    Both Figures are Genesis 2 Female
    The figure on the left is a custom figure based on V6 with a custom skin texture, wearing the Riae outfit for V4 and Xenia Hair for Genesis
    The figure one the right is a figure based on Karma with the Charlie skin textures from the Hot Mess Bundle and wearing Jingle Girl for G2F and Gregoia Hair for Genesis
    The Millennium Dragon
    Return to Enchanted Forest
    Morpheus3d-2002-Time-Machine from sharecg (completely re-textured for Octane)

Please click on the image to see the full resolution version.

Time_Traveler_2.jpg
    2000 x 1667 - 836K
    Post edited by DustRider on
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited January 2015

Dustrider, I love the poses and expressions on the two females in your image, especially the one on the right. Excellent.

My only comment on the image overall is that it is a bit too "flat", and your eye wanders all over trying to figure out what's going on. As with may CG renders, I find that it's difficult to figure out what's going on because people tend to want to showcase all the cool objects they built or downloaded... :)

The right half of the image is great, the two females, great poses and expressions, you know exactly what they're doing and thinking.

The left hand side, however, is very confusing. Partly because there is so much "stuff" all jumbled around, and the lighting doesn't lead your eye to a central focus, but rather allows you to see all the stuff and, IMO, it's just too jumbled and confusing to figure out. I *think* there's a dinosaur inside a tree with a bunch of stuff around him, but I can't figure out what he's doing, why he's inside a tree, and what all the stuff is... :)

I'd suggest you re-think your lighting to provide a central focus to lead the viewers' eye to the important stuff, and don't try to make the viewer see all the cool stuff you inserted in the scene. Often, less is more... :) :)

Anyway, I think you should get some sort of award for those very natural poses and expressions. Very nice. BTW, the tree texturing is also very nice... :)

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited January 2015

dustrider said:
    This is the same image as above. When I looked at it on my iPhone it looked very very dark. Nothing like it did on my Mac (in Photoshop with proof image on). I did some level adjustments so that it would look the same brightness. When I get to work I am going to check it on my Windows machine. It'll probably look completely different on that too. I don't know what to trust as a reference. Argggggg!!!

I like the lighting!
    A couple of years ago I got tired of trying to figure out if my display was off, or if it was just too bright as kept running across images that were too dark to see (a lot of them). I finally broke down and got a Spyder 4 Express, and am very happy I did. Now I know my monitor is calibrated properly. You would be amazed at how different displays are. I was using 3 different monitors types at work, and had three different monitors at home, and they were all different. I'd use the simple calibration procedures that can be found on the web, but it was still very difficult to get things looking exactly the same.

Thanks dustrider.

I recalibrated my monitor and I am hoping I am seeing things correctly now. Here's another one I just finished rendering. I'm focusing on what can be done in the native renderer without using GI.

Doc42light.jpg
    1337 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Dustrider, I love the poses and expressions on the two females in your image, especially the one on the right. Excellent.

My only comment on the image overall is that it is a bit too "flat", and your eye wanders all over trying to figure out what's going on. As with may CG renders, I find that it's difficult to figure out what's going on because people tend to want to showcase all the cool objects they built or downloaded... :)

The right half of the image is great, the two females, great poses and expressions, you know exactly what they're doing and thinking.

The left hand side, however, is very confusing. Partly because there is so much "stuff" all jumbled around, and the lighting doesn't lead your eye to a central focus, but rather allows you to see all the stuff and, IMO, it's just too jumbled and confusing to figure out. I *think* there's a dinosaur inside a tree with a bunch of stuff around him, but I can't figure out what he's doing, why he's inside a tree, and what all the stuff is... :)

I'd suggest you re-think your lighting to provide a central focus to lead the viewers' eye to the important stuff, and don't try to make the viewer see all the cool stuff you inserted in the scene. Often, less is more... :) :)

Anyway, I think you should get some sort of award for those very natural poses and expressions. Very nice. BTW, the tree texturing is also very nice... :)

What you said about visual clutter, if only I could remember it half the time. I love Dustrider's renders but I remember struggling with the October version of this one without exactly taking the time to figure out why.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited January 2015

thank you dustrider,
    about your render the two gals look to enjoy hunting, poor dragon, it's doomed :-). high quality render as always, I particularly like the soft shading around the foot of the dragon and how lighting affects trunk and clothes; something is still missing on the girls' face skin but do not know what, maybe more bump or such; hair very convincing imo

Post edited by magaremoto on
    edited January 2015

Thanks Joe!

Thanks for the critiques - some good food for thought and future renders. Agreed, it is a bit busy, but as this image was primarily "fan art" (using the term art very loosely), the time machine was a requirement. The image seems to be much less busy and confusing for fans of "The Time Machine", a movie that came out in 2002 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Machine_(2002_film)). Even though the white glass on the time machine should have been transparent glass (which would increase the visual noise compared to the white "glass"), most fans of the movie immediately recognize the time machine, which reduces the confusion on the left side of the image immensely (comparing responses from fans of the movie versus those who never saw it). All the "shinny" stuff on the lower left is the time machine, so it kind of had to be in the image as it's an iconic prop in the movie.

I probably should have dropped the little flying droid thingy for this version, as I made/included it in the original contest entry as one of my "Made in Carrara" items, and it was not in the movie. But I liked the way it sort of pulled the two "halves" of the image together that are sort of divided by the tree. But, in retrospect, omitting it may have reduced the visual clutter quite a bit.

The lighting could have easily been better, but one of my goals with this render was to light it with a single mesh light, and to keep the guy with all the teeth more or less in the dark behind the tree. This really restricted my lighting options, but made for an interesting and useful learning experience.

Thanks again!

This was really one of those projects I just wanted to do after the first time I saw the movie, and I decided to make it a bit of a learning experience as well. The learning elements included using a StoneMason scene with at least two clothed figures (without using Octane procedural s, and both having resource intensive hair models), lighting a complex scene with a single light (don't know that I would try that again, but it was a fun exercise), and of course fitting it all this in 3Gb of video RAM for rendering..

edited December 1969

What you said about visual clutter, if only I could remember it half the time. I love Dustrider's renders but I remember struggling with the October version of this one without exactly taking the time to figure out why.
    lol - A bit more explanation on the visual clutter in my response to Joe - but I do agree!

edited December 1969

thank you dustrider,
    about your render the two gals look to enjoy hunting, poor dragon, it's doomed :-). high quality render as always, I particularly like the soft shading around the foot of the dragon and how lighting affects trunk and clothes; something is still missing on the girls' face skin but do not know what, maybe more bump or such; hair very convincing imo

Thanks!
    I think the problem with the faces may be the light placement/size. One of my goals was to do this scene with a single light, as a result I think the lighting on the faces (and a few other areas) suffered a bit. But it was a great learning experience.
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:

I like the lighting!

Thanks dustrider.

I recalibrated my monitor and I am hoping I am seeing things correctly now. Here's another one I just finished rendering. I'm focusing on what can be done in the native renderer without using GI.
    The lighting looks quite good on my monitor, so I'd say you got your monitor calibrated quite well. The skin is looking good!

edited January 2015

Hmmm, tried to edit a post for grammar, and hit the quote button instead, so I'm pretending this post doesn't exist :red:

edited December 1969

In another thread someone was talking about hangar bays....and I recalled I had a spaceship hangar bay I hadn't used in a very long time and I wanted to see if it still works.. :) ...and I wanted to try to tell a story....so I did this.

I wish Carrara didn't mess up bump maps and highlights and stuff when bringing in content. All the bumps are at 0. I hate that.

Forgive the cheesy starfield in the background and the cheesy Carrara aura around the strip lights. I was lazy today.

I can't figure out what the dark spot on the moon is...maybe Moonbase Alpha...or Moon Unit Zappa :) :)

Space_005.jpg
    1200 x 1086 - 258K
    edited December 1969

By the way...

Wow !!! DAZ certainly has cut the resolution of the thumbnails it displays. Geesh. Super low rez....

I guess that saves some money in bandwidth for them.

I need to remember to click on all the thumbs to see the real images from now on.

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited December 1969

Experimenting with the Licorne 18th century corvette in Carrara 8.5 Pro and the surface replicator.

Click here to view the stereoscopic 3D version at 3dLive

seaBattle01.jpg
    960 x 438 - 339K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Experimenting with the Licorne 18th century corvette in Carrara 8.5 Pro and the surface replicator.

Abso-freakin-tacular! Very cinematic looking. Did you use a Lux plugin or is this the native renderer?

edited January 2015

Thanks evilproducer,
    It's the native renderer, based off one of the presets ;)

Post edited by Joepingleton on
    edited December 1969

Yeah, the sailing ships is incredible. Who's the guy/gal who developed that one? He's the Stonemason of sailing ships... :) :)

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Thanks evilproducer,
    It's the native renderer, based off one of the presets ;)

Very nice render, I'm jealous of it :-)

What preset did you use. Did it include the clouds ?

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Yeah, the sailing ships is incredible. Who's the guy/gal who developed that one? He's the Stonemason of sailing ships... :) :)

Faveral. He's on 65% off in the store at the mo.

edited December 1969

That has to be one of the all time best renders I've seen from Carrara. That Faveral guy is some sort of genius.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the kind words,
    I simply used the spectral clouds preset, an ocean object, and Faveral's Licorne 18th century corvette replicated 150 times using the surface replicator.
    I bought the ship on sale and am loving it. Faveral's skills are amazing.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

joeping said:

I simply used the spectral clouds preset,.

Thank you. I missed it in the presets (didn't look in the "misc" directory).
    I'll use it as a test bench in a project of mine.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Really fantastic, Joe !

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

joeping said:

Wow! That looks fantastic joeping.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

This was my entry in last week's PC Inspiration contest - it came out a little bit dark, but not too bad for an hour's work including render time. :)

Uses
    Pavilion of Montchanin Fallen http://www.daz3d.com/platinum-club-items/pavilion-of-montchanin-fallen
    Old Rowboat http://www.daz3d.com/old-rowboat
    Carrara EnvironKit - Woodlands http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-environkit-woodland (for the water texture)

Carrara 8.5 render with just a moon light, a sun light and sky light. Some cropping and color adjustment in Photoshop.

Mark

MoonOverMontchanin.jpg
    1000 x 1500 - 213K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited January 2015

MDO2010 said:
    This was my entry in last week's PC Inspiration contest - it came out a little bit dark, but not too bad for an hour's work including render time. :)

Uses
    Pavilion of Montchanin Fallen http://www.daz3d.com/platinum-club-items/pavilion-of-montchanin-fallen
    Old Rowboat http://www.daz3d.com/old-rowboat
    Carrara EnvironKit - Woodlands http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-environkit-woodland (for the water texture)

Carrara 8.5 render with just a moon light, a sun light and sky light. Some cropping and color adjustment in Photoshop.

Mark

I like it!

It is silhouetted, but not unnaturally so. I have experienced lighting like that at deep sunset.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited January 2015

Testing my faceshift (facial motion capture software) to pz2 convertor tool. The movements are still a little muted but I think its getting there. Sorry no sound but my deep voice kinda destroys the illusion.

http://youtu.be/7lbOhgyUImw

Screen_Shot_2015-01-24_at_11.32_.49_PM_.png
    1680 x 1050 - 706K
    Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

joeping said:

Incredible render, Joeping!

This discussion has been closed.