Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

And just for comparison, the exact same scene, same sky, volumetric clouds for mist, same sun and sun angle. One uses a light dome to "fake" the GI, and the other uses the Skylight. Neither use gamma correction or have any postwork done to them.

Mornng_mist_GI_cam1_test.png
    2000 x 1333 - 2M
    Mornng-mist-no-GI-cam-1-tes.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 1M
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited December 1969

Experimenting with high speed skin lighting (no GI) for animation. This render took less than 9 seconds on a 1.6Ghz Core i5. I'm hitting the limit of this particular skin texture but I think the skin tone is getting close.

a.jpg
    1144 x 764 - 143K
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited February 2015

And just for comparison, the exact same scene, same sky, volumetric clouds for mist, same sun and sun angle. One uses a light dome to "fake" the GI, and the other uses the Skylight. Neither use gamma correction or have any postwork done to them.

Evil just loves them dark scenes... :) :) :)

This is the levels graph for the lighter (first) image.

EvilCapture.JPG
    273 x 362 - 23K
    Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited December 1969

Tim_A, one nice thing about your latest image is that it has a sense of focus, and a destination. Instead of just being a flat image, it now has a bit of depth, and the tower stands out as a destination at the end of the path. Your eye travels from the nice foreground, down the path, to a nice looking destination in the tower.

Like I say, there is no right or wrong in the lighting and texturing, it depends on your goals. But it's nice when an image has some depth and interest.

Now, IMO, the most important thing to work on is those horrendous Carrara tree limbs and trunks. Not sure if you can modify them, but instead of those straight, toothpick-looking limbs, maybe go in and make some gentle curves and interest, especially in that foreground tree.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Massive overnight render session. First image is with the fake GI dome and green uplighter (render time 2h20), the second is with real GI (render time 4h50).

Joe, I take your point with the trees and I'll see what I can do, but the curve function was designed by a Cthulhu fan who, I don't think had ever seen an actual tree...

levelses.jpg
    826 x 380 - 66K
    Crossroads-realGI.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    Crossroads-fakeGI.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

The Carrara plant modeler has some ability to modify the base structure of the trunk and the branches. In addition to the normal tabs for the trunk, leaves, and branches, there are some settings under the experts tab to introduce a curve and some variability. Hope that helps.

plant_2_branch_variability.jpg
    1265 x 954 - 190K
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

another skin test
    the model is being provided by ten24 here: http://www.3dscanstore.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=14

0.jpg
    1667 x 2000 - 2M
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    The Carrara plant modeler has some ability to modify the base structure of the trunk and the branches. In addition to the normal tabs for the trunk, leaves, and branches, there are some settings under the experts tab to introduce a curve and some variability. Hope that helps.

I think part of the problem is that "curve" only bends left and right, so even a very bendy tentacle, er, branch will still look ramrod straight viewed side on.

(now for some reason my replicator has gone snafu, and isn't obeying the constraints of its shader mask :( )

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Evil just loves them dark scenes... :) :) :)

This is the levels graph for the lighter (first) image.

I don't love the dark scenes. That's how it came out with the default settings for the Skylight. Why not ask before jumping to conclusions?

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited December 1969

another skin test
    the model is being provided by ten24 here: http://www.3dscanstore.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=14

That looks great! Is this Carrara renderer HDRI?

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    edited February 2015

Some straight out of the box Carrara renders, just moved the render position around a bit.
    Venice for Carrara, BMF Country Path, and Mystic Gorge. (Needed a break from my Critters)
    Postwork done with Topaz filter to bring out the colours.

EDIT: Just noticed that I had stopped the Mystic Gorge render a fraction too soon, my OOOOPS on that one. Gives me an excuse to do another render to replace it !!!!!!!!!

EDIT Number2: Replaced the non-conforming render with better result !!!!!!!

OnBridgeFinal_AutumnStormy_2_TopazAutumn.jpg
    1200 x 788 - 308K
    BMF_CountryPathScene_1_TopazSettingSun2.jpg
    1800 x 1468 - 728K
    VeniceForCarrara_1_TopazAutumn.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 292K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited December 1969

I don't love the dark scenes. That's how it came out with the default settings for the Skylight. Why not ask before jumping to conclusions?

I'm just messin' with ya... :) :)

I noticed you tend to post images that are a tad skewed to the dark side. I always thought maybe your monitor was calibrated a tad bright, but it's not a big deal.

edited December 1969

Wow bunnyip, that Venice scene is gorgeous. And the gorge thing too. I never noticed those before. And I like your render settings....

edited December 1969

Those are cool scenes, Bunyip :)

edited December 1969

another skin test

Hi stringtheory, no hdr image has been used, actually the background is a blurred photo placed on a plane. AFAIK hdr in carrara works like a reflective environment mapping but it affects global lighting marginally

edited December 1969

Okay magremoto, that is, like, TOTALLY cheating to use a headscan... :) :)

But honestly, I think there's little doubt that the industry is heading that way. If you want REALLY realistic looking humans, you've gotta do that. Yeah it's expensive and difficult, but you've gotta do it.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that is swirling around in DAZ's head. Maybe develop a new, super realistic and hi-res character based on a scan and offer it to its customers. Seems to me that would be hugely popular. I'm just not sure if they could make a profit on something like that.

And at the same time they should be looking at getting their content to be seamlessly imported into all the other apps out there, especially something like Blender, which is free.

I dunno, I think I'd look at those options rather than 3D printing. :) :) :)

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

Progress Ive made wiht implementing Edge-fall off shaders on the slightly modified Carrara Stag beetle. Spotty Bump use in the textures, and the Elytrons have an additional Bump texture of vertical Scan lines.

Made use of Phil Wilke's lessons on realistic lighting too. Works great - Would like the shadows to be stronger . . .

Stagbeatles3-h-SMLi.jpg
    1280 x 742 - 288K
    edited February 2015

joemamma,
    they actually do something like that: http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/daz_3d
    as for the head scan it is getting needful in gaming (see fifa 15 for example) while 3d printing is widely being used in miniatures board games, so I think daz is ready for new challenges ;-)

Post edited by magaremoto on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

And at the same time they should be looking at getting their content to be seamlessly imported into all the other apps out there, especially something like Blender, which is free.

Wouldn't take too much effort to do. either. A static, unclothed, Genesis2 imports to Blender flawlessly in .dae. Trouble is when clothed, it has an armature per clothing item, which is not a lot of fun. If they could get a universal format going, it would really expand the market.

I believe this is what .duf is intended to be - Daz Universal File Format?

Some years ago, Optitex-clothed figures imported flawlessly into Carrara using Daz Collada, before they broke it.

Even if they could get Optitex working directly in Carrara, it would be really great. Although I believe the guy who holds the licence for making clothing for Daz has left Optitex, so there wouldn't be any new clothing, but there is sufficient stock to last many years.

edited December 1969

joemamma,
    they actually do something like that: http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/daz_3d
    as for the head scan it is getting needful in gaming (see fifa 15 for example) while 3d printing is widely being used in miniatures board games, so I think daz is ready for new challenges ;-)

magremoto, i think we're talking about two completely different "scan" technologies... :) :)

edited February 2015

keryna,
    I dunno, the texture on the stag beetles in your image looks a lot like leather to me.

I'm clueless about stag beetles, but Google knows all about them :) :)

I did a google search and selected "Images" and got 1.65 gazillion images of stage beetles. Attached is one I found. Looks to me like the surface is a bit more reflective and bumpy.

And notice that the reflections seem to be more than just a simple highlight...more like a blurry reflection, where you can see faint shapes and colors of stuff being reflected.

BTW, if it was me, I might try duplicating an actual photo like that to refine my skills in texturing and lighting compared to real life. It's not cheating :) :) :)

EDIT: I just noticed, it looks like you can actually see the faint reflection of the photographer in the beetle's shell (note arrow). :) :) :) :)

Stag-Beetle-1.jpg
    2000 x 1563 - 1M
    Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited December 1969

After the "tree editing disaster" aka how to completely waste two whole days, all the bits have been reassembled in a new project file. Still a few tweaks needed (noticed all the dandelions are facing the same way...) & I may play a few more games of tree shuffle roulette before the night is out.

I think the levels curve looks better too. I had gamma set to 1.8.

I was going to put a character into the scene, but after spending an hour searching in vain for the outfit i wanted, I resigned myself to loading Studio & clothing her there (I swear sometimes the Carrara programmers can't ever have actually used the program). Took literally 2 minutes in Studio. But I then spent another hour trying to get the &^*%*^$ things to conform to the pose I wanted. Gave up in the end. You can see why there are never any people in my renders - life is just too short, and I value my few remaining hairs!

Oh and don't ask me to reedit the trees... just... don't! ;)

Screen_Shot_2015-02-13_at_20.34_.34_.png
    413 x 382 - 37K
    Crossroads-v2GI.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited February 2015

huh just noticed theres a batch queue. and theres 2 light through transparency check boxes.
    my misc doesn't have an enable multithreading option. is rendering with 2 buckets, AMD dual core. no hyperthreading.

had a renderathon of mystic gorge.
    what a perfect place for a dragon moot. :)

i tried it with idl on, but killed it after 6 hours or so.

6hours.JPG
    1468 x 737 - 93K
    AutumnNite2.png
    1200 x 473 - 767K
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Just a quickie while I do laundry. I'm pretty happy with the candle holders, less so with the subsurface on the candles themselves and I got some weirdly bright caustics under the glasses, but otherwise it falls neatly into the "good enough" category. Candles,candle holders and table cloth modeled in Carrara 8.5 Pro. The glasses are one of the included items in Carrara's object library, I just replaced the shaders.

Happy Valentine's Day. :)

Mark

Valentines_2015.jpg
    1436 x 1063 - 296K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Cool! Very Cool!
    Mine is nothing special... just a quick pop into C8.5.1 Beta on this mini laptop again. Do stuff with content seems really sluggish on this thing, so I'll likely switch back to Carrara Original stuff for this little beast - but at least it works!
    For this one I just rendered a quick setup of FlipMode's Easy Environments - Road to Hell: Turned the Skybox textures into the glow channel, set up some bump, highlights and shininess. Then I just saved the render as a backdrop and rendered it behind this fellow, whom was also and quick n' dirty drop-in-and-render sort of deal, since none of my actual 'stored' characters reside on this machine.

Dragon Lord James on the Road to Hell

FM-R2H__DrgnLrd.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 530K
    edited December 1969

It can be a deadly endeavor - jumping through the warp of space. Ending up in the middle of a star or planetary body can be the end of life as you know it. But some destinations can have other hellish effects upon the ship or her crew, like some of the gas remnants which are impossible to predict since nobody really knows where all of them are. Luckily for us, this one is a docile event... just gas, and nothing more.

OutFromTheNebula1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 631K
  • BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807
    edited December 1969

It can be a deadly endeavor - jumping through the warp of space. Ending up in the middle of a star or planetary body can be the end of life as you know it. But some destinations can have other hellish effects upon the ship or her crew, like some of the gas remnants which are impossible to predict since nobody really knows where all of them are. Luckily for us, this one is a docile event... just gas, and nothing more.

Dartanbeck,

I love the image especially the colors of the clouds. How did you do it?

edited December 1969

another skin test

Hi stringtheory, no hdr image has been used, actually the background is a blurred photo placed on a plane. AFAIK hdr in carrara works like a reflective environment mapping but it affects global lighting marginallyYeah, I really like that skin scan. Looks awesome! Also, I really like how well any sort of spherical background in Carrara can be used for GI. Pretty neat!

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Yay, great to see more renders from you, you've really gone to town with PD Howler!

edited February 2015

Dartanbeck,

I love the image especially the colors of the clouds. How did you do it?
    So Cool... and really simple! Here's the trick:
    Insert > Volumetric Cloud
    While the editor is open, drag the underside flatness to 0%, slide down the density a bit and adjust the shape of the wisps between low density and lowering the Scale Multiplier. Now just change the color of the cloud to a nice saturated color. In this one I made one yellow, one blue, and one pink. The blue one is the largest, and then the less dense and lowest scale multiplier.

Yay, great to see more renders from you, you've really gone to town with PD Howler!I Love Howler!
    I Love the Developer, Dan Ritchie and his director of marketing, Philip Staiger as well... it just makes the perfect marriage to Carrara, at least for what I do! ;)

Thank you both very much! :)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
This discussion has been closed.