testing subd displacement

659.jpg
    2000 x 1375 - 2M
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

a 7 min render on a i7, native resolution 5000x

OUF!
    Until now I found that the environments and buildings were more realistic than the characters, with you, it's the reverse.
    Very impressive !

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Fantastic, my friend!
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited February 2015

thank you DUDU and DB,
    actually there should be still a lot to do on eyes and ears above all, moreover subd + bump is likely but improvable; anyway ten24 maps are great to work out
    here is another try with a ten24 head scan

716.jpg
    2000 x 1375 - 2M
    Post edited by magaremoto on
    edited December 1969

Scary!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited February 2015

It was a suit day today, so I didn't get much chance to sneak in any Carrara ;)

Here's a couple of interior renders, both with full GI (7 minutes to render on my laptop). The first has outside sunlight, and a lot of light spill from the room above (big windows) - you can see the well lit cross beam and the window sill at right. The bulkhead lights on the walls are only at about 30% and tinted slightly greed to give the effect of fluorescents. 20ft range with 50% falloff. The green is more noticeable lower down, as the walls are whiter (Take a bucket of whitewash and see how far up the tower you get!)

We're looking down 80 ft to the floor, which is about 8 storeys.

2nd picture, as above but no external sunlight. There's still some light coming through the windows, which I think must come from the Realistic Sky itself (a non-GI render is completely black outside). Notice there is some blotching on the window sills.

Staircase3.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 887K
    Staircase.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    It was a suit day today, so I didn't get much chance to sneak in any Carrara ;)

Here's a couple of interior renders, both with full GI (7 minutes to render on my laptop). The first has outside sunlight, and a lot of light spill from the room above (big windows) - you can see the well lit cross beam and the window sill at right. The bulkhead lights on the walls are only at about 30% and tinted slightly greed to give the effect of fluorescents. 20ft range with 50% falloff. The green is more noticeable lower down, as the walls are whiter (Take a bucket of whitewash and see how far up the tower you get!)

We're looking down 80 ft to the floor, which is about 8 storeys.

2nd picture, as above but no external sunlight. There's still some light coming through the windows, which I think must come from the Realistic Sky itself (a non-GI render is completely black outside). Notice there is some blotching on the window sills.

Hello Tim

It's VEERRRRTTTIIGGOOOOOO time again.
    Love it, especially the first !!!!!!!

Regards, Bunyip

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    edited December 1969

Kept watching waiting for him to blink.
    Very nice render !!!!!

Regards, Bunyip

edited December 1969

ah ah thank you bunjyp02,
    I've read somewhere that the human eye is capable of detect at about 500 Mpx so shaders coherence and how they are finely shaded or lit - rather than the lighting itself - is of crucial relevance. Basicly this is the secret of many "unbiased" renderers: you will often see coherence between their materials and shades in a overexposed environment

edited December 1969

Just experimenting with the idea of a small pond...

Pond.jpg
    800 x 500 - 388K
  • DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

While I like the colors, it still looks flat - and perhaps even too colorful. As Head Wax mentioned, the scene needs a little haze to create more depth perception, or even some depth of field.

I went for some good ol' Carrara Fog. I know that some of you don't like using it - I love it! It can change in many more ways than Volumetric Clouds - ways that I really like to have control over in certain situations... like this one, perhaps. What I was going for is the idea that more tests are being performed on other vehicles, as well as just some ambient haze from other machinery, etc., going on. No... Rosie is not in this scene... but good eye! This IS Rosie's ride that they're working on!

Added fog, tweaked more shaders and lights, added Gamma Correction = 2.2

I like the way your lighting starts to make the image pop, and sure the fog adds some depth but maybe it's also killing too much of the details and making a case for the suggestion that working on some things in post gives you more control?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    nice! Maybe the pond could have a bit of sky colour, or even better, pond colour in sky. Would tie the image together perhaps?
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

While I like the colors, it still looks flat - and perhaps even too colorful. As Head Wax mentioned, the scene needs a little haze to create more depth perception, or even some depth of field.

I went for some good ol' Carrara Fog. I know that some of you don't like using it - I love it! It can change in many more ways than Volumetric Clouds - ways that I really like to have control over in certain situations... like this one, perhaps. What I was going for is the idea that more tests are being performed on other vehicles, as well as just some ambient haze from other machinery, etc., going on. No... Rosie is not in this scene... but good eye! This IS Rosie's ride that they're working on!

Added fog, tweaked more shaders and lights, added Gamma Correction = 2.2

good to see your working methods! I'd cut off the top quarter - at the moment it's not doing anything. Don't you love being advised by armchair critics like me? Agree a little with dada too ;). Lucky Rosie eh?
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Tim_A said:
    nice! Maybe the pond could have a bit of sky colour, or even better, pond colour in sky. Would tie the image together perhaps?

I think maybe it's the camera angle - mostly what you can see reflected is the far bank, which is also brown. (I had a thought of putting in a little waterfall there) There is some sky, right in among the rushes near the bottom.

Here's another angle. More sky in this one. I think I also need more ripple in the bump channel - it's looking a little too glassy.

Pond2.jpg
    1100 x 825 - 872K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited December 1969

A render I did for the 2515 challenge but didn't get any further with it....

I ditched the idea as I had bender in it and there was a render done with him in it when I looked... great minds think alike they reckon. .. lol

Vehicle_and_Machine_Show_2515.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    head wax said:
    Tim_A said:

I think maybe it's the camera angle - mostly what you can see reflected is the far bank, which is also brown. (I had a thought of putting in a little waterfall there) There is some sky, right in among the rushes near the bottom.

Here's another angle. More sky in this one. I think I also need more ripple in the bump channel - it's looking a little too glassy.

Looking great Tim, at the rate you're progressing you're quickly becoming very expert in making landscapes, it's been quite illuminating to follow your progress. At this rate it won't be long before your landscape scenes get to Howie-levels of realisim.

I'm sadly deficient in this area, though hopefully one day soon I'll learn more about what goes into making a good nature-landscape scene, in the meantime I've learned quite a bit just from following your posts and progress. If you'll forgive the pun, I think you're a 'natural' when it comes to nature scenes (ok that was a terrible pun, I admit it :) )

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Stezza that looks great! Should have posted it as an entry (or maybe you just missed the deadline? I've done that before myself if so). Either way, great render. And you can never have enough Bender! :)

• CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited March 2015

Really nice work everyone!

Now, for another render...

"Trio"

Revisited the render project i posted some pages back, added a couple characters to it... Love the Fuchikoma, was a tough freebie find... Made my own main hull paint shader for it... Wish I could find a Tachikoma in poser rigged format (might end up trying modeling that some point as a learning experiance).

And the Gal next to it (based on a certain likeness; free Paris hair and Motoko hair morp export for V3 from sharecg was another fun learning experiance converting to Genesis2 triax autofit in studio)- is a Genesis 2 Fem, and for some reason nomatter what, I shaped, clothed and posed her in Studio, saved as a scene subset, the mesh just didn't want to comply with the rigging when imported into Carrara for some reason. Tried all sorts of things and while the "guns" were in the proper posed position, along with the skeletal rigging, the arms and body were stuck at the base default pose. Could move the rigging for the arms and the guns moved with it but not the actual mesh...

Genesis 2 figures seem to be hit and miss ... Some I can Morph. Cloth and Pose in Studio and bring into Carrara no problem, and other occasions, it just wont work. I ended up having to Export her as .obj, and then open a Carrara skin shader set hand-drag the individual shaders over (since the item also included the material shaders for the clothing, hair, etc)...

I'd have been tempted to try this with LuxCore if only LuxCore supported and correctly read Carrara's procedural shaders. Used a hdr for the lighting... Could try my regular IBL method and see how it turns out...

I still really wish Carrara handled hdri's better, to rotate the direction of the file / light source without having to group the entire scene & camera and rotate the group to find the optimal or ideal prefered lighting / shadow angle. (is where LuxCore makes that so much easier)

GITS_Rooftop_Best.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 224K
    Post edited by CoolBreeze on
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:

Looking great Tim, at the rate you're progressing you're quickly becoming very expert in making landscapes, it's been quite illuminating to follow your progress. At this rate it won't be long before your landscape scenes get to Howie-levels of realisim.

I'm sadly deficient in this area, though hopefully one day soon I'll learn more about what goes into making a good nature-landscape scene, in the meantime I've learned quite a bit just from following your posts and progress. If you'll forgive the pun, I think you're a 'natural' when it comes to nature scenes (ok that was a terrible pun, I admit it :) )

Thanks Jonstark. I'm working on the assumption that if I'm going to get any of my scenes into the store, HF/Stonemason standard is the bar. So we keep tweaking, keep refining...

Here's some "outtakes" ;)

Outtake.jpg
    600 x 450 - 281K
    Grass.jpg
    600 x 450 - 255K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    head wax said:
    Tim_A said:

Looking really fantastic Tim! Love the tower interiors also. :)

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Still working off and on on this scene.

Changes from the last version:
    Turned off the sun rays - they were not doing anything except slowing the render down
    Played with the translucency on the leaves
    Added a tiny amount of light underneath the trees with replicated low intensity bulbs
    Played with the water bump and displacement
    Added the tower and the buck so there is more of a focal area/point

The Carrara hair/fur on the buck came out pretty good at this size/distance considering I spent all of five minutes on it. :)

Main things I'm still working on:
    I'm still getting odd patterns in the water - I'm going to try and add some noise to the displacement and hope it goes away with a higher resolution/higher light quality final render.
    Playing with adding some fish in the water

Mark

Moutain-River-04.jpg
    1000 x 1280 - 276K
    edited December 1969

Switched to a smaller scene for a bit. Lots of bombweed, overgrown Path.

OvergrownPath.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 2M
  • DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

I'm liking the replicated lights workflow more and more. I got good quality renders at 13 seconds, even 6 seconds, though its only the figure and the lights in the scene, background is hdri. This particular render took 20 seconds, but that's only because I ramped everything up and added DOF.

FutureFace.png
    1280 x 720 - 577K
    edited December 1969

Awesome All!!! Loving seeing all of the great works!

Here is a fun Kit-Bash of the Badlands Canyon base with a Woodlands terrain shader and two (with duplicates) Woodlands Objects elements from the Nature category. The enormous "Elven Temple", by Cornucopia 3D, fills most of the gorge in that base preset, and I lovehow the ground fog plays into all of that. On this tiny laptop, it was a guessing game as to how it would turn out. I've used some of the shader techniques that I've picked up from PhilW's Realism Rendering on the temple, but the shaders come in from the Poser Runtime pretty well set up, so it was a short and quick affair there. I also brought one of the volumetric clouds down onto the temple area, made some adjustments, and set it (as a new master) to be affected by all lights.

Elven_Temple_1A.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 140K
  • EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Here is a recent render.
    Made with Octane.

Lilac_2_O.jpg
    1313 x 1444 - 307K
  • CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited March 2015

Awesome All!!! Loving seeing all of the great works!

Here is a fun Kit-Bash of the Badlands Canyon base with a Woodlands terrain shader and two (with duplicates) Woodlands Objects elements from the Nature category. The enormous "Elven Temple", by Cornucopia 3D, fills most of the gorge in that base preset, and I lovehow the ground fog plays into all of that. On this tiny laptop, it was a guessing game as to how it would turn out. I've used some of the shader techniques that I've picked up from PhilW's Realism Rendering on the temple, but the shaders come in from the Poser Runtime pretty well set up, so it was a short and quick affair there. I also brought one of the volumetric clouds down onto the temple area, made some adjustments, and set it (as a new master) to be affected by all lights.

Looks awesome and breeathtaking inspiring Dartanbeck! (kitbashing is fun on its own :D )

I don't quite get what you mean by using the volumetric cloud and setting it as the new master to be affected by all lights...

I've yet to try using a volumetric cloud as a fog patch, maybe its my inexperiance with using volumetric clouds... Used them a few times in the sky thats about it...

Post edited by CoolBreeze on
    edited March 2015

Mohandai said:

Looks awesome and breeathtaking inspiring Dartanbeck! (kitbashing is fun on its own :D )

I don't quite get what you mean by using the volumetric cloud and setting it as the new master to be affected by all lights...

I've yet to try using a volumetric cloud as a fog patch, maybe its my inexperiance with using volumetric clouds... Used them a few times in the sky thats about it...

Thanks Mohandai!
    Here's what I meant:

New Master
    That particular Badlands preset includes three volumetric clouds in the sky, but in affect, they are but one cloud as far as computer resources are concerned - because they are duplicates of one cloud. In that situation, any one of the clouds within the duplicated matrix can be considered the "Master" (and this does NOT just apply to clouds, but any set of duplicates) - meaning that if you double-click on any one of them to edit it, or even just to examine its properties, you'll be greeted with a pop-up dialog asking if you wish to modify ALL things that are currently considered a duplicate of this one, or if you'd like to break this instance away from the logical chain and have it become its own master.

In the case of this scene, the preset "Canyon" scene's clouds are set to be affected only by the "Sun" light (or All lights in the event that there is no Sun light in the scene). This makes for a lot less ray tracing calculation for the cloud, but also makes them easier to control - as far as brightness, where the "Silver Lining" comes from as well as where the dark areas appear, where shadows are cast, etc.,
    So I wanted to keep this aspect for the other two clouds, but I wanted to brighten this one to make this more of a magically lit environment - a religious temple of the highland elves. The controls for this are in the upper left corner of the Volumetric Cloud editing window. Just a quick note: Don't ever close this window or it may crash Carrara, and you'll lose anything that hasn't been saved before doing so. Which reminds me, I need to find out if there is an active bug report for that.

By changing this cloud to be affected by All lights does something very interesting in this particular scene - as with any of the EnvironKit presets made to date - because of the "Artificial Global Illumination" rig. These presets are set up to Not use Global Illumination (Turning on "Sky Light" in the Render Room) in exchange for a set of light rigs that illumination the scene, with editable control. There are those that create the light from the sky all around us, there is a set which imitates indirect light reflecting from the surfaces, and there is a separate rig to highlight to main subject that you add to the scene to help make it stand out. In the case of the "All Lights" setting on the volumetric clouds, it doesn't matter if you set a light to 'only' affect a certain thing or group of things, it will still affect that cloud. So in this case, the cloud is catching a lot of light from all over the place!

Using Volumetric Clouds for something other that a big (or not) cloud in the sky
    Volumetric Clouds can be used for many things. Magaremoto even uses them as a volumetric dome light! But for ground fog, explosion emissions, and other cloud/smoke-like effects, here are some fun things which I've discovered that I think you may find interesting in your experiments:
    V-Clouds can take a bit of time to render - especially if you use a lot of them, and you don't have a Sun Light in the scene

Density is one of my main controls that I use to keep the cloud from blocking too much of the scene

Down at the bottom are Scale Magnitude (or something like that) and Sharpness. Lowering the scale will break up the bits that make up the volume for a more even distribution of matter. So I like to bring that up a bit, while adjusting the sharpness along with it, until I get less evenness and a nice touch of sharp wisps in the effect - all while using density to break up the formation to create an effect that creates multiple patches throughout the volume.

Placement

Then I place the center of the cloud where I really want the effect to take place. With the default opacity, placing the cloud directly over the main camera focus will often not make much of an effect which will drown out the subject matter. But that also depends upon how you've set up your cloud as above. I often make the cloud much larger (a lot larger) than what the camera can see and place it so that the edge of the bounding box is near or even touching my main subject matter (like my heroes) with the rest of the cloud sprawling behind it, so that the edge falloff will keep the cloud from ever making it all the way to my camera and the main effect is in the background - getting caught by the camera. The default Ground Fog V-Cloud in my EnvironKits is the perfect example of what I'm talking about - except that it is placed directly in the center, adding effect to any direction you look with the camera. This is important to me as I do animations and often rotate my camera(s) in many directions in certain shots.

For this scene, however, I wanted to engulf the Elven Temple with the effect so I made sure to bring it closer to the camera.

Using V-Clouds and/or the fog in the Realistic Sky really helps to add a good feel of distance - a built in realistic depth of field in a more natural way than simply going out of focus. But using V-Clouds and lights together can make any number of effects! Since setting a light to 'Only' affect certain things doesn't keep them from affecting a cloud, we can set a light to only affect nothing - just for use with the cloud(s)! Adjusting sharpness, scale and density is a great way to make many types of effect, the same applies to Brightness, Opacity, Color, etc., so we can really have some fun! Also, by setting them to only be affected by the Sun light, we can include a Sun Light and set it to be any color and brightness we want!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

EddyMI said:
    Here is a recent render.
    Made with Octane.
    Beautiful job, Eddy! I Love the work you've done on those shaders!
  • EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

EddyMI said:
    Here is a recent render.
    Made with Octane.
    Beautiful job, Eddy! I Love the work you've done on those shaders!
    Thanks a lot DB!
    But to be honest: The only shader I manipulated was the eye reflection.
    edited December 1969

EddyMI said:
    Here is a recent render.
    Made with Octane.

love it! realistic expression indeed

This discussion has been closed.