Carrara 9 ?

2»

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited October 2020

I don't see the point to come here and cheerlead for DS. DAZ is not losing anything from us Carrarians, many of us still buy DS products. Maybe not the heavy instance ones, as converting them to real objects can weigh a scene down, but I do it when it suits. A recent Carrara tool that I have more recently jumped into is their plant generator. For creating landscapes that need trees and shrubs, the surface replicator can't be beat. I use Dartanbeck's method of making 'blocks' for them so they are distributed properly as I like to keep my terrains as terrains.  I have a largish scene right now that is only 35mb and the vegetation is easy to work with and looking good without using flat billboards. Thanks to TangoAlpha, MikeMoir, HowieFarkes and Dart, I have a whole library of leaves to work with beyond what came with Carrara and I have been learning to change shaders for autumn if not provided, and am now going to try and make my OWN leaves if I cannot change one of the existing shapes with normal maps to suit the item needed.

Also, you can kitbash almost anything with Carrara. That is something not possible in DS.  Also, I have not discovered the key to getting DS to render in a reasonable time. I know there are render tools, but which one would really make a difference?

Also, Carrara hair cannot be beat... it flows, blows and can be used for grass and all kinds of things. 

For me, the big C in Carrara is CREATE, not just buying out of the box content. That is where it is like Blender without the layout giving me a headache just looking at the interface.

I tried Blender back in 2013, and thought to use Make Human. Luckily I found Carrara soon after and have not looked back at Blender.  If you go onto outside sites, like CGT or its neighbours, most Blender artist content is available as fbx or obj, Most all of the ones I buy work immediately in Carrara if they were exported in a user friendly way. If it is a freebie, and there are problems, I enjoy the challenge of kitbashing to make ithings work. (Had 200 stones in one, each with its own name, but with only 4 shaders distributed, that was fun!)

Enjoy DS... I love Carrara. And I like DAZ content artists, too, very much so!  heart  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

yeah do people go to the Autodesk forums and do this when they find something they prefer?

probably not as it is the industry standard but I hope you understand why it may irk some

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

skip straight to carrara x.

they'll come asking for a non existing carrara 9laugh

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    edited October 2020

Just to be fair, I think that Matt was just trying to tell us that we shouldn't hold onto a hope for a new Carrara update/upgrade/release, not to bemoan Carrara or its use in any way.

Luckily for someone like me, that's fine as long as OS don't upgrade to a point where it won't work anymore. 

Personally, I cannot afford to go Autodesk or Foundry(Modo) or C4D or iClone. Subscription pricing just doesn't work for the lower-income manual labor person who is trying to make 3D art in tidbits of spare time. A temporary PC+ membership gets us Carrara 8.5 Pro for $65 USD, which is amazingly low pricing for any 3D modeler, let alone one that can do what Carrara can do! But then that same $65 USD also gets us this amazing bundle of goodies to play with. 

While I think that his main point is incredibly valid from his perspective, here's mine:

I have an article here about my beginnings in 3D art. For me, my love for doing all of this doesn't come from modeling. It doesn't come from having the constant development phases of the industry pro standards and disciplines. The fellow who was teaching me 3ds Max recognized this and turned me on to Poser - neither of us knew Carrara existed at that time - but it did.

So it turns out, I do need the ability to model in 3D. I do. If I can't do that it just doesn't work for me. But I also really need to have that Poser runtime, that Daz Studio library.

I literally am lucky if I get two hours in a night to work at my computer - and when I get those lucky times, I'm often very exhausted and/or tired. Rosie has found me fast alseep at my computer many times. So being able to use my PC+ membership to fill my library is what helps me to be able to do the things that I do - and a lot of it differs a bit from how it loaded in - because I mess with its 3D mesh and/or shaders quite a bit.

When Adobe took on their subsciption method, I started to try counting hours in comparison to the price and it just didn't compute. I tried negotiating a deal with them for a proprietary license, since Elements versions didn't include the tools I needed. It didn't end well - but that's okay because that drove me to Project Dogwaffle Pro (PD Howler) - and I'm much happier now! But its being developed every minute of every day.

Anyway, I'm getting away from myself here. 

Ever since I started working on computer graphics, which is mostly all I've ever done with a computer beyond a few menial tasks, I've had to figure out how to work around what I wanted the outcome to be vs the advantages the software comes with out of the box. These challenges, for me, has been part of what makes this all fun! Chiseling the human form from alabaster doesn''t come with undo or constant development cycles either - at least not in my world. Yet I enjoyed it immensely.

I'll see demos on features for Modo, Maya, Max, Blender, etc., that blow my mind. I'll immediately wish that I could get that software, and I might even start looking into ways that I might be able to get it. I'll launch Carrara and continue on where I left off and remind myself: I have everything I really need right here!

The term "Starving Artist" certainly must apply to someone like me, because there's no way on Earth that I could afford Maya, Modo, Max or C4D. Not even close. Yet I chisel custom walkways, cliffs, waterfalls and adorn them with amazing plant life - all to the will of very wealthy people - yet putting Porterhouse cuts of steak on my table is absurdly going out of my budget. I get home and after a half hour in my easy chair, I can barely even stand - muscles and joints contorting my body into impossible positions - Rosie coming to my rescue as the true hero of my life, throwing me onto the floor and massaging me into something that feels a lot more like a human.

Seems strange to be so poor after giving so much.

I get into Carrara and it's literally like taking myself on vacation to a really fun amausement park. I don't have to do any of the things I don't want to do - just focus on what I Do want to - and have a Lot of fun doing it!

Check out the Plugins we get! Most of these are free now! And speaking of links to my website, check out my newly restructured Home Page. My hope is that it helps to illustrate the joy and passion that I have for using this software as well as being a Daz 3D customer - a PC+ member!

I didn't get very far with it (the page) yet, but the PC+ Cloth Frenzy is an experience I'm in the middle of right now. The things I have posted there now are things I'd likely buy anyway, because I like them and can see ways to use them in my adventures.

But I'm now also starting to buy clothing from the PC+ catalog because they have enough geometry for me to work with as a starting base. I detach them from their rigging, turning them into a static OBJ, for the most part, and deleting sections I don't want, adding new bits, sculpting them, etc., but the important parts of the mesh that I don't have enough experience modeling, like where the arms meet the torso, getting all the right edge loops, etc., is all done for me already - and with great UV mapping, since Daz 3D's QA folks are really good at checking those.

So now I have 'sandbox' clothes that I can just have fun modeling with and using VWD to 'conform' or simulate them to my figures! Fun!

Anyway, Carrara has some really great built-in features that truly make my experience within it even more enjoyable than what any of those other apps could possibly attempt to do - simply because of the fact that it was tweaked to hold a Poser Runtime structure and, since 8.5 the new Daz Studio Library structure. Period.

I hear people complain that there has been far too much attention added to that philosophy ever since Daz 3D acquired the software. But why else would someone like Daz 3D acquire it? Really. And that is One Major Aspect that makes Carrara truly Magical compared to any other app. Truly. 

Carrara 9? I look forward to it. I know I'll love it if when they make it! smiley

Back in the Waaaaaaay Back machine, mhartman.art_53c60a8640 was my trusted tester of Starry Sky for Carrara - and we had a Blast together! He was trying things with it that I had never thought of - which was perfect. It also launched a bit of further development and tweaking because of it.

By reading his original post, I could tell that he didn't mean to come off as negative as it might have seemed. He's right that we shouldn't really trust a hope that there will ever be a Carrara 9. But that's not me, as I know he knew when he wrote it.

I am ever the optimist. And I was once 'in' with the backstage crew. I know that if the fine folks at Daz 3D ever feel like putting folks onto Carrara development they will. I know their energy lies elsewhere right now. It has for a long time.

But that doesn't mean that they'll never pull out the proverbial Swiffer and dust off the pile of goodness they had when they left it. 

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited October 2020

We know (from a post Daz Devs made outside this forum) that there was extensive development done to Carrara since its last update. We just haven't seen it yet.

The main focus was to add compatibility with Genesis 3 and 8. They got the quartenernion skinning working, but not the actual Genesis 3 & 8 figures.

When they worked on the 8.5 upgrade, the main focus was Genesis 1 compatibility. I was astounded at all of the other improvements that came along for the ride! I Love Carrara 8.5 Pro!!!

We know (from a post Daz Devs made outside this forum) that there was extensive development done to Carrara since its last update. We just haven't seen it yet.

The main focus was to add compatibility with Genesis 3 and 8. They got the quartenernion skinning working, but not the actual Genesis 3 & 8 figures.

When they worked on the 8.5 upgrade, the main focus was Genesis 1 compatibility. I was astounded at all of the other improvements that came along for the ride! I Love Carrara 8.5 Pro!!!

pity they cannot release some of this stuff for third party developers to use

pretty certain a few would step up even if it was so they could use Genesis 3 and 8 easily themselves 

edited October 2020
    Mystiarra said:

Misty makes a great point - except that we actually already have an unofficial Carrara 9!

Allow me to explain:

Misty herself has given us Genesis 3 and 8 Male and Female compatibility in Carrara

Alvin Bémar has given us 

• LightX (new light types)
    • Fluidos for Carrara v.1 (Fluid Simulation Engine) - As well as a Carrara preset scene "The Spring"
    • Genesis Morph Eraser (Erase unused morphs from Actor)
    • Fluidos II for Carrara

Philemo has given us

• HD Morphs for Carrara
    • PBR Lighting v's 1 & 2 for Carrara
    • HDR Lightdome
    • Studio Lights
    • Phong Tessellation
    • Cutouts
    • Hair Convertor (converts Carrara dynamic hair into 3D mesh)
    • GMIC library of image editor post effects
    • Triplanar UV Projection for Shaders

Digital Carvers Guild has given us

• ANYTHING GOOS - dirt and ageing shader plug-in that works with your favorite noise shaders to highlight features of your mesh
    • ANYTHING GROOVES - provides real geometry from your Carrara shaders (instead of just using Bump)
    • ANYTHING GROWS - adds fur to Carrara. Build a field of flowers, a fuzzy bunny, or hairy beast
    • COGNITO - mechanical linkages choreographer plug-in for Carrara
    • DCG IMPORTER - render simulations and animations from your favorite 3D tools that export sequenced OBJs
    • GROUND CONTROL - digital elevation map importer
    • NOIR - adjust the colour balance of your rendered image and apply a number of other post render effects
    • PARCHMENT - lets you combine an image with your render, producing a composite image
    • PROJECT GEMINI - collection of tools to assist symmetrical modeling
    • SHADER GEL AND STROBE - leverage the power of Carrara's shaders with your lights!
    • SHADER OPS - collection of shader plug-ins for Carrara that add functionality to every existing Carrara shader
    • SHADER OPS 2 - collection of shader plug-ins for Carrara
    • SHADERS PLUS - collection of lighting models for Carrara
    • SHOESTRING SHADERS - versatile collection of powerful shading tools
    • STARBRIGHT - wraps your scene in a globe covered in stars
    • TERRAIN TOOLS - adds a variety of new tools for shading the intersections of water planes, terrains, and other objects. adds a variety of new tools for shading the intersections of water planes, terrains, and other objects.
    • TOON! PRO - cel shader and line renderer plug-in for Carrara
    • WIREFRAME PRO - wireframe render and shader plug-in for Carrara

​Fenric has given us

• Shader Power Tools - excellent collection of shader plugins
    • BVH/PZ2 Exporter for Carrara
    • Pose Helper for Carrara
    • Carrara Enhanced Remote Control
    • Pose and Shading Tools 2
    • MDD File Format for Carrara
    • Posing Pack 3
    • Poser Weightmap Injector
    • Insert Primitives
    • Layer Blending Mode Shader
    • Enhanced Color Shaders
    • Selection Changer
    • Poser Shader Doctor
    • Object Sequence Exporter
    • Multi-Shader Editor
    • Change Bone Visibility
    • Advanced Shader Tweaker
    • Move to Camera

Virtual World Dynamic and Philemo have added (cost involved)

• Cloth and Hair Simulator v.1 and v.2 and a Carrara Bridge Plugin

Fractal Dimensia has given us PySwarm for Carrara

Sparrowhawke has given us

Dartanbeck has given us

While some may argue, this pile of amazing new Open Source, Free and pay-for content makes Carrara an even better experience than it was before! Like having a fairly massive upgrade!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

the spring primitive is worth the upgrade on its own wink

Stezza said:

I love that thing! 

Stezza said:

Funny, 

It ended up turning out to be a failed mission, but I used that to create some pretty cool looking curls to add to Rosie 4's three-layers of Angelina Hair for added curliness. I made a map and replicated the new curls all over! It was fun playing with the resuts in the replicator, and it looked pretty cool, but it didn't work well in the end. Still... twas a fun experiment! :)

Mystiarra said:

Misty makes a great point - except that we actually already have an unofficial Carrara 9!

Allow me to explain:

Misty herself has given us Genesis 3 and 8 Male and Female compatibility in Carrara

Alvin Bémar has given us 

• Fluidos for Carrara v.1 (Fluid Simulation Engine) - As well as a Carrara preset scene "The Spring"
    • Fluidos II for Carrara

Philemo has given us

• HD Morphs for Carrara
    • HDR Lightdome
    • Studio Lights
    • Phong Tessellation
    • Cutouts

• ANYTHING GOOS - dirt and ageing shader plug-in that works with your favorite noise shaders to highlight features of your mesh
    • ANYTHING GROOVES - provides real geometry from your Carrara shaders (instead of just using Bump)
    • ANYTHING GROWS - adds fur to Carrara. Build a field of flowers, a fuzzy bunny, or hairy beast
    • DCG IMPORTER - render simulations and animations from your favorite 3D tools that export sequenced OBJs
    • NOIR - adjust the colour balance of your rendered image and apply a number of other post render effects
    • PARCHMENT - lets you combine an image with your render, producing a composite image
    • SHADER GEL AND STROBE - leverage the power of Carrara's shaders with your lights!
    • SHADER OPS - collection of shader plug-ins for Carrara that add functionality to every existing Carrara shader
    • TERRAIN TOOLS - adds a variety of new tools for shading the intersections of water planes, terrains, and other objects. adds a variety of new tools for shading the intersections of water planes, terrains, and other objects.

​Fenric has given us

• Posing Pack 3
    • Insert Primitives
    • Enhanced Color Shaders
    • Selection Changer
    • Poser Shader Doctor
    • Multi-Shader Editor
    • Change Bone Visibility
    • Move to Camera

Dartanbeck has given us

​thanks for this concise list

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Mystiarra said:
    Mystiarra said:

Allow me to explain:

Alvin Bémar has given us 

• Fluidos II for Carrara

Philemo has given us

• HD Morphs for Carrara
    • HDR Lightdome
    • Studio Lights
    • Phong Tessellation
    • Cutouts

​Fenric has given us

• Posing Pack 3
    • Insert Primitives
    • Enhanced Color Shaders
    • Selection Changer
    • Poser Shader Doctor
    • Multi-Shader Editor
    • Change Bone Visibility
    • Move to Camera

Dartanbeck has given us

​thanks for this concise list

+1

I remember when 3DAGE posted a similar list (but not as complete obviously) back in 2016 when I started Carrara.  However, I never saved it, and lost track of the post.

So, thanks for doing a new one. smiley

An embarrassment of riches.  The wild thing is, Carrara is so full of features to explore that I haven't had much time to experiment with many of those plugins. blush

the free presets 
    Carrara Compatible Character Preset for Genesis 8 Female  Jul 02, 2017 • 467 downloads
    Carrara Compatible Character Preset for Genesis 8 Male  Aug 29, 2017 • 348 downloads

looking at the d/l numbers, thats a few hundred customers  they throwing away by not fixing the typos

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    Mystiarra said:

the free presets 
    Carrara Compatible Character Preset for Genesis 8 Female  Jul 02, 2017 • 467 downloads
    Carrara Compatible Character Preset for Genesis 8 Male  Aug 29, 2017 • 348 downloads

looking at the d/l numbers, thats a few hundred customers  they throwing away by not fixing the typos

I was not keeping up last year very well because of my eyes (how are yours doing?)  Is that the bottom line?  If they fixed the typos in the figures' structure so we can use them in Carara, then would they would work in the Bridged software?  Was it done on purpose so you could NOT use them in Carrara perhaps?  I do wonder how the Bridges work, do they only work for G3 and G8 and not for the earlier generations?  If I recall, Poser had a workaround problem in G3? Or is that professionally fixed now.

Sorry to be more confused than usual, a lot going on. 

indecision Silene

a lot of the issues we have are also issues in the bridges!!!!

but the ones making the bridges impliment fixes

someone at DAZ is being very stubborn IMO, you get them at all workplaces sadly

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    Daz did a small Carrara update too, on the 64bit upgrade of Hexagon, the Carrara exporter was first broken then fixed. Reported that Obj imports are better via Hexagon than Carrara directly.
    Blender has a slightly easier to use fork called Bforartists. Still free and updated to the latest 2.8 LTS and 2.90 versions. With the new DS exporters and the price of 0, not bad for a second tool. "The primary goal of the Bforartists fork is to deliver a better graphical UI and a better usability."
    Still want to be a hard-core Carrara user? Well then there is brand new Houdini 18.5 release with lots of updates like cool explosions and still a free Apprentice version. Export via Obj into Carrara/Hexagon.
    The answer for when a 3D application is not used anymore? The first workstations from the 90ies, SGI running the Irix OS are still used, there are even new youtube videos, for example Houdini 5.5. MAME the emulator now supports IRIX and SGI Indigo with active forums, even if SGI faded away 20 years ago.
    edited October 2020
    SileneUK said:
    Mystiarra said:

the free presets 

I was not keeping up last year very well because of my eyes (how are yours doing?)  Is that the bottom line?  If they fixed the typos in the figures' structure so we can use them in Carara, then would they would work in the Bridged software?  Was it done on purpose so you could NOT use them in Carrara perhaps?  I do wonder how the Bridges work, do they only work for G3 and G8 and not for the earlier generations?  If I recall, Poser had a workaround problem in G3? Or is that professionally fixed now.

indecision Silene

it depends if the ap uses internal ids or internal names. is a big difference.  the ap would also need to support the weightmapping and smoothing.  poser needs the poser cf files and the dson.  using the dson would need to rely on updates from daz3d.  wouldnt be so confidant about that.  afaik poser doesnt natively support triax or quarternion.  havent tried the latest version, not sure where poser is at on that.  i remember it having trouble with single axis scaling.  the toddler morphs for the kids4 didnt work without manual fixing.

my plugin wishlist, if the plugin developers could vamp up the cloth sims.  parent a skirt or cape and let the sim taking the figure translation into acount in collision detection.

my eyes feel like is rotting in my head.  my blood pressure too high for surgery.  cant pass the medical clearance.  on the amlodopine now.  helps, but not good enougj. 

i'm going for monthly eylia injections. supposed to help stop the bleeding by shrinking the blood vessels.

Post edited by Mistara on
    Mystiarra said:
    SileneUK said:
    Mystiarra said:

the free presets 

indecision Silene

it depends if the ap uses internal ids or internal names. is a big difference.  the ap would also need to support the weightmapping and smoothing.  poser needs the poser cf files and the dson.  using the dson would need to rely on updates from daz3d.  wouldnt be so confidant about that.  afaik poser doesnt natively support triax or quarternion.  havent tried the latest version, not sure where poser is at on that.  i remember it having trouble with single axis scaling.  the toddler morphs for the kids4 didnt work without manual fixing.

would be nice if the plugin developers could vamp up the cloth sims.  parent a skirt or cape and let the sim taken the figure translation into acount in collision detection.

it's actually the bone rigging movement bullet doesn't detect

I did some tests using morphs and the softbody sees that

Mystiarra said:
    SileneUK said:
    Mystiarra said:

the free presets 

indecision Silene

would be nice if the plugin developers could vamp up the cloth sims.  parent a skirt or cape and let the sim taken the figure translation into acount in collision detection.

it's actually the bone rigging movement bullet doesn't detect

I did some tests using morphs and the softbody sees that

v4's hands were poking thru moving the arms 

i tried a superman like cape.  the sim stopped calcing after like i forget how many seconds,  but if i moved the wind source with keyframing the cape would start fluttering againn

Mystiarra said:
    SileneUK said:
    Mystiarra said:

the free presets 

indecision Silene

my plugin wishlist, if the plugin developers could vamp up the cloth sims.  parent a skirt or cape and let the sim taking the figure translation into acount in collision detection.

Like this?

VWD Cloth and Hair

Easy to use. Select vertices, click Add Selection (to the Nail list). Can have extended falloff or rigid glue.