Computer freezing on DAZ exit

Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
edited December 1969 in New Users

The following has started happening to me recently -- I am not sure for how long, but I'd say the last 2 or so months. Before that, I don't think it was happening.

I have a pretty decent computer -- not high end anymore, though it was in 2011 when I bought it... 8 GB RAM, 1.5 GB vid card, quad-core i7 processors, etc. The thing can handle just about anything, including most DAZ stuff, without the slightest hitch. I can have DAZ open editing in the edit window, while having Photoshop up AND Manga Studio, plus other apps like Word and Chrome, and there is no problem.

With a typical scene open, according to the task manager, DAZ uses about 10-36% of CPU and about 3 GB of RAM (it uses 10% CPU just sitting there, 30+% if I am in the middle of editing something like posing a figure).

But... Even if I have nothing else open, once I close DAZ, for around 45 seconds, my computer freezes. I can move the mouse, but if I click on anything, nothing will happen. If I had a Word file open, say, and shut down DAZ, then immediately try to edit in the word file, it all just freezes. Any edits I tried to make will eventually appear... after ~45 seconds have elapsed. According to the task manager, after I have closed DAZ, it drops to a few % CPU, but sits around in memory for that 45 seconds, holding on to about 1.5 GB of RAM. Then, after the 45 seconds is over, the RAM use drops over about 3 seconds to 0, and the DAZ exe file then vanishes from the process list.

My question, I suppose, is this: Is what I am seeing normal behavior? I have no other app that takes 45 seconds to terminate after I give it the "close" command (well, other than some badly-coded MS products like Visio, but MS products being inefficient memory hogs is sort of a given). I'm just curious if others have seen this and if there is a work-around. Maybe I need to do a clean reinstall?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,021
    edited December 1969

DS shouldn't be using significant CPU resources when idle. Is your content Management system working - do you have things in the Smart Content pane, or under Categories or Products in the Content Library pane? If not, what security software do you use?

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

Well I haven't checked the CPU use when DAZ is completely idle, but that is not really my question. The question is about why it seems to be hogging up ALL the computer's system resources for about a minute AFTER I shut it down. No other software I use does this.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It depends on what was loaded to RAM as to how long it should take for the system to safely remove all the temp files loaded and return the RAM to system use. I see a delay myself for large scenes with lots of textures and figures loaded. If DS is doing this for every scene including smaller ones may I ask which version of DAZ Studio you are currently running? One of the older versions did seem to have that issue in all uses.