How to use DAZ content in Carrara after Change

Hello all,

I haven't useed DAZ content for about a month. Now I noticed it is no longer formatted for Carrara or Poser. How do I use it for Carrara?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited September 2020

content library site issue

the zips contain all the right stuff

if you mean new stuff, you need DAZ studio for stuff Carrara 8.5 won't load as a duf to export as obj etc

(most things are fine in Carrara as is but need U unticked in UV wrap or Sparrowhark has a fix)

rigged things need converting to Blended weight in D|S save as scene subset

or if figures Misty's Genesis 3 & 8 presets from Renderosity if figures and clothing convert to Blended weight in D|S

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

What do you mean by "not formatted for poser or Carrara"? 
    If you mean the fact that all downloads are now labeled "Daz Studio" on product library pages: the poser or Carrara download files are still there, it's just the label which is wrong. Basically all download files from before Daz introduced native Blender / c4d / maya... files have been labeled "Daz Studio" regardless of their actual content. 
    I signaled it to customer support.

• So After buying a model how do I proceed. 

Wash Room.png
    1141 x 953 - 250K
    edited September 2020

first do you have Carrara 8.5 or only 8.1?
    the former download the DAZ studio zip, unzip and merge it with your library or how ever Mac users usually do it

browse to it in your browser as usual and load it

(need to add your DAZ  library folder to your browser as well as runtime if not Poser format)

if you are 8.1 and it's not a Poser or Carrara product you either need to export an obj from DAZ studio or buy Carrara 8.5 latter is my recommendation 

• I am using a PC right andd i have Carrara 8.5.

edited September 2020
    msolomon said:

I am using a PC right andd i have Carrara 8.5.

well then most stuff should load right into Carrara

also read Dart's sticky thread about Carrara he has plenty on using DAZ studio content, it really is no harder than using Poser content 

DAZ install manager takes all the guesswork out too

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15970/carrara-information-manual/p3

• OK, I will check it out. Thanks Wnedy.

• OK, I will check it out. Thanks Wnedy.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    edited September 2020

Maybe some of these pages/articles can help

Carrara Zone

Carrara Info - from Cripeman Tutorials to Plugins

Carrara CG Workshop - Character Setup Pages

Animating in Carrara

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited September 2020

just note
    MSolomon has done lots of awesome Carrara animations

https://www.youtube.com/user/eyeofsolomon/featured

just not with the Genesis stuff AFAIK

I was hoping that some of that would trigger his Carrara memory! wink

I love MSolomon's work!!!

• just note
    MSolomon has done lots of awesome Carrara animations

https://www.youtube.com/user/eyeofsolomon/featured

just not with the Genesis stuff AFAIK

Thanks Wendy.

• I was hoping that some of that would trigger his Carrara memory! wink

Thanks Dartanbeck. If I had it my way I w ould keep using Carrara  for all my proffessional work but Carrara can't be used on the new Macs we will be upgrading to this year. I will miss it.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    msolomon said:

Thanks Dartanbeck. If I had it my way I w ould keep using Carrara  for all my proffessional work but Carrara can't be used on the new Macs we will be upgrading to this year. I will miss it.

Very sad for all of us in the Carrara community to lose you, but inevitable.  Wishing you the very best in the Mac upgrade world.  Please continue to update us on your great work from time to time.  

• msolomon said:

Have you thopught ab out virtualizing an older OS with Parallels? That's my Carrara backup plan when it stops working in the new Mac OS.

msolomon said:

sad

• msolomonmsolomon Posts: 209
    edited September 2020
    Diomede said:
    msolomon said:

Very sad for all of us in the Carrara community to lose you, but inevitable.  Wishing you the very best in the Mac upgrade world.  Please continue to update us on your great work from time to time.  

Diomede said:
    msolomon said:

Thanks Diomede, I will let you guys know what is going on. I will also check on DAZ every so often, just incase they come to their senses.

Post edited by msolomon on
  • msolomon said:

Have you thopught ab out virtualizing an older OS with Parallels? That's my Carrara backup plan when it stops working in the new Mac OS.

I did consider that idea but i want to take advantage of the new mac features and power.

• You would only use Carrara virtualized. All other programs could take advantage of the features and power. 

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

You would only use Carrara virtualized. All other programs could take advantage of the features and power. 

While at this time I'm in no position, nor the need, to purchase a new computer this is something at which I need to take a closer look if I want to stay with the Mac platform. Thank you for info.

Once the new Ryzens come out, the current and previous generations will go on the cheap!

When I built mine, Gen 3 was just entering the gates, so I got my 2nd gen Ryzen 7 (8 core/16 thread) for under $200 USD!!! 

Carrara loves my new Ryzen! I'm doing stuff now that I've always had to give up on before - and it's even Fun!!! :)